Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Security for the Motorhome

What did you upgrade or add to your home to make it safer? Do I need to add additional door locks? What about the cargo doors? Please share your experiences. I have the Georgetown 360Xl 2013
I know from our store, they tried to pry open both our doors. I had to drill a steel rod into the concrete and secure to the door to stop that.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

If you have people prying open doors not much in the way of lock changes will help. I would look for more secure storage.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

we all have the same key

Many people do not know this but Forest River use the same key for the basement and main door lock on all motorhomes. The door dead bolt is the only unique key. While at an FMCA rally I had my unit re keyed. Keeps the honest and slightly dishonest people out, of course does not stop a hammer and crow bar.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The CH751 issue is well known in the industry.

Cam Locks / Camlocks,Cabinet Locks,Furniture Locks,Hinges,Pulls,Handle Locks,Drawer Locks

My point is; that if storage is so insecure folks are plying doors open, no lock in the world will keep theives that determined to break in; out. They will just bash in a window.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My point is; that if storage is so insecure folks are plying doors open, no lock in the world will keep theives that determined to break in; out. They will just bash in a window.
X2. We just had our trailer broken into 2 weeks ago. They busted the window and reached in and unlocked the door. It doesn't take much to pry open any RV door. All it takes is a screwdriver or crow bar and it makes a lot more damage. I am moving my unit to more secure storage. I am also going to make up a sign to display on the outsides stating it was already broken into and all valuables were removed or taken.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Just a little sidebar story that happened to me on Saturday. We left our house early Saturday morning for a full day of Christmas shopping. I always back my cars in the driveway , so on exit I didn't look back at the house. When we returned to the house at 10PM, we noticed the garage door open. Yes folks, my bad, I left the garage door open. (well , I got blamed for it, but I didn't even know my wife came out through the garage door. I was sitting in the car waiting. Anyway, thats another story) To make a long story shorter, everything was exposed to the thieves. My motorcycle, summer tires for the car, all my tools and other garage paraphernalia were in open site, not to mention full access to the rest of the house. Lucky for me, everything remained intact. Lesson learned, I hope. I do have good locks on the house, but if you don't use them, all security fails. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

unique locks

As I stated you can not keep out the person that has a hammer and crowbar but no matter how much you poo poo it I like having unique locks on my rig. Also it may be well know in the industry but I did not know it until someone told me. Remember not everyone is as well informed and this is good information to restate.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

I never lock anything. Two big dogs feed them twice A week works great
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
I never lock anything. Two big dogs feed them twice A week works great
I have a cattle dog that has never met anyone she liked. On top of this she has lost her hearing so I can no longer call her off. So intruder beware. I even put a sign in the window.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

At home I have the MH parked between the garage and the house on a pad and I have a security camera aimed from the back of the garage on the back of the MH wide lense so I can see three sides of the MH on the monitor in the house. Also helps that my neighbor is a Police Officer.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I the storage lot where we keep our RV a number of units were broken into.
When they tried our fifth wheel only the dead bolt was locked on the door and they did not get in. They did leave a few marks on the lock where they tried. On the Georgetown I only lock the dead bolt. Let them go the easy ones.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Has anyone tried putting a car alarm on their MH? I'm wondering if a siren going off would scare the thief(s) away.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

If I stray from a crowded retirement village type resort park I will attach one of the "guard dog " type dual magnets alarms . 110 decibels should alert someone. We always bolt both Motorhome locks and leave the big dog around. Yeah a big mean Lab,bless his heart.
The siren is appropriate but a false alarm will upset the neighbors big time!
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Around 2004, we had some problems with incompetent parents moving next door with 2 young boys (ages 8 + 10). The two kids hooked up with two other boys on the other side of the development also with incompetent parents . After about 4 years, the kids became the vandals of the development. Cops always called but NYS will not prosecute kids under 16 – apparently vandalisms and property destruction by underage kids are acceptable in NYS. Your only choice is civil court to go after the parents (versus criminal courts against the “children”).
Eight security cameras (2 on each side of the house) were ignored for a couple of weeks until the cops were called and shown kids throwing eggs at the RV. The parents suddenly became “competent”. Not one problem since. We will be ordering our Solera in a couple of months. There will be VISIBLE night vision cameras (Sony XView) all around it (price/camera down to $50-60 each) at home and at campsights. If that does not deter them, our two 100lbs German Shepherds may.
BTW – you’d be surprised how many cars pull into our driveay in a month, walk toward the house, look up and see two cameras looking down at them, stop, turn around, return to the car, and drive off. We hope it was NOT the Publishers Clearing House informing us of a $1M win ;o)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #15

Great ideas! I was too thinking of adding more cameras. We are parking it on the side of the house. Not much light over there. We have cameras everywhere, but not on that side specifically.
Like the other person said. we too see people coming up, seeing the cameras and leaving. They even captured the man who ran over my mailbox!

On the deadbolts.... Did you drill a whole and put in a keyed deadbolt? Or are you speaking of one of those dead bolts that just slides?

We have dual paned windows, maybe that will be somewhat of a deterrent.

Has anyone installed an alarm that goes off of the door is opened? Wonder how that would work.

It really is a shame that the world has gotten to this. I can remember growing up and staying at the beach house. We left the doors open all nite, only the screen locked. Would never consider this now.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

The IR security cameras were one of our best investments.
I posted a video I captured of my neighbor's daughter coming home at 4AM weaving across my front lawn after a night with her friends.
She is still grounded. I think she will be grounded until she is an old maid.

That particular camera had only been installed for 2 days before it paid for itself.
Night Owl LTE-84500 8 Channel LTE D1 DVR - 500GB Hard Drive, 4 Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, 30' ft Night Vision, H.264 Compression, Audio, 240 fps, Motion Activated, PC & Mac Compatible at TigerDirect.com

I used a 2 T hard drive to store the images while we travel.

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s at TigerDirect.com

This camera I can steer with my laptop to watch for packages on the porch and check the car for issues.
CAM-PT-SH420-24
Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #17

wooden dowel rods cut to length in the sliding window channels so window can't be slid open from outside.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #18

TX CHL + CCW (Sig 938) + 20ga pistol gripped by nightstand + 9mm Glock at computer + 3 non-lethal dogs for "early warning" + thinking about a Judge for vehicle = don't give the zombie the upper hand.....Bill

(some may enjoy viewing this - be sure to watch thru to the end :

)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
TX CHL + CCW (Sig 938) + 20ga pistol gripped by nightstand + 9mm Glock at computer + 3 non-lethal dogs for "early warning" + thinking about a Judge for vehicle = don't give the zombie the upper hand.....Bill
I am not against firearms, but that was what they took from the widow across the street when she was out. Her husband was a collector (actually passed away hunting) and his .45, .357 and a Ruger type 9mm all are in the hands of Philly tweakers now.... They left a competition target pistol because it was only a .22, and a whole load of shotguns and rifles.
I like security cams, dogs and lots of signs that discourage the creeps. Plus, I leave the unattached garage unlocked. If they look at the crap in there I have not unloaded of over the years, they should be discouraged and maybe leave a donation.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #20

I don't want to enter into any gun debate, but I think it is untimely to bring any reference in this forum.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Closed Thread