Old 08-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

I would suggest checking shower(if you have one) for leaks. We have bought 2 new ones and both had shower issues. Neither one was fixed on first repair attempt either. You might get a little wet, but get inside and spray the water everywhere that there could be a potential leak. It will save running up & down the roads!!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Site Team

Do not give them anything other than the deposit until your pdi has been completed to your satisfaction. As others said, check everything. We thought to make sure the microwave ran but didn't check to see if it cooked. It ran but didn't cook. There will be issues early on with any manufacturer as others said, the key is a good dealership and camping relatively near the dealership early on. Our slide out failed after the first trip and the dealership has been very helpful to us in getting ok to travel to get it in for repairs quickly. We had issues with our old crossroads unit too. They were fixed under warranty as well and then trouble free use after that. I have the same hopes for the new Sabre. Take a deep breath and listen to the advice here.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Do not give them anything other than the deposit until your pdi has been completed to your satisfaction. As others said, check everything. We thought to make sure the microwave ran but didn't check to see if it cooked. It ran but didn't cook. There will be issues early on with any manufacturer as others said, the key is a good dealership and camping relatively near the dealership early on. Our slide out failed after the first trip and the dealership has been very helpful to us in getting ok to travel to get it in for repairs quickly. We had issues with our old crossroads unit too. They were fixed under warranty as well and then trouble free use after that. I have the same hopes for the new Sabre. Take a deep breath and listen to the advice here.
A cup of water brought to a boil, should take only a couple of minutes.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #14

We live in our '05 Georgetown 3 months every winter and then travel a few weeks in the summer. Occasionally, something will not work right. But, other than a few minor leaks fixed by a mobile repair service and a microwave failure, nothing serious that wasn't my own fault has happened. You get the best bang for your buck with Forest River and in my experience, they do stand behind their product.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

Thank you all. The preliminary walkthrough and test drive went OK.

The check engine light came on five minutes into the test drive. Guages were all OK. I'm guessing it was sitting at the dealer for a year or so. They are taking it to service Monday morning for diagnostics and repair. I will call Monday and made it clear that I was not going to take delivery until there was a definitive diagnosis and repair.

I loved almost everything about the coach. The quality seems outstanding. I did note the brace at the bottom of the door is not adequate and asked that they address it before my PDI on Wednesday.

What stood out... I was concerned about the CCC... this one sits on a 228 wheelbase and has a ccc of 3300lbs... I was pleased with that.

It drove better than anything I had driven thus far... FR3, Storm, and Pursuit. It has 108" wide chassis and I think it drove exceptionally well. I was passed by about 4 or so semi-trucks and I tell the truth... I didn't feel them. I was going about 60 and would guess they were going 65. No winds today, so this may change.

It did have the Kwikee stairs (or whatever they are called) versus the older ones with so many problems.

I didn't think I liked the slide system... seemed like a cable and pulley system. The salesman told me the pulleys are only there to keep it square and there was actually a gear mechanism retracting them. He told me it was the same system as on their expensive coaches... I'm going to research some and verify but I did not come across any comments on here about the system breaking... just power issues that I remember.

Each TV (Bunkhouse, Bedroom and Living Room) work of the antenna, as well as cable (supposedly). We received seven channels while in the dealer's lot so I think it's good.

I did not like that their is no driver-compartment stereo speakers or any way to turn off the back speakers. If I'm listening to the stereo, everyone... including those in the bedroom or bunks are listening to it too... I think I'll just use one earpiece and my phone until I find a solution.

There is an unfinished slot, about 2" by 15" immediately behind the stove. I figured out the purpose was to store the stove covers which are the same stone as the rest of the counter. Shouldn't there be some sort of cover over that slot? It was ugly and I'm going to research this as well.

That's enough for now. Thank you for your responses above and I'll take all of your advice when I do my PDI.

If anyone knows about the slot behind the stove and if there should be a cover, I'd appreciate the info.

I'll keep you posted after I pick it up.

Thanks Again!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #16

I have a 337 and there is no cover for the slot behind the stove. Make sure you can make the dinette or U dinette into a bed. I have the U-dinette and they installed it without the fill cushion in place. The fill cushion did not fit (when we needed it to). The dealer had to fix it.

The bathroom door-open and close it several times. I've had 2 motor homes and that door has had several problems mostly related to installation.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Site Team

For speakers you can use an iPad with downloaded iTunes or mp3 player and create a playlist. Then get a plug in speaker or a Bluetooth speaker to play the music. We usually plug the iPad into our stereo to listen to our playlist anyways.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #18

The check engine light was most likely the gas cap. I got a scan guage II and would recommend it as you can do a lot with it. We also have a 2014 351DS and love it. Definitely the best bang for your buck. You are going to have issues with any coach manufacturer- ours have been minor. Forest River is a great brand and you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #19

Dusty...congrats and good luck with it all. I just got a 280ds this month and am very satisfies with the initial quality control. Had a very short list of minor things to be done after the PDI...and they were all done in a couple of days. After our 400 mile trip home and several days in campground....not one more thing is broken. I'm surprised myself...but happy things went so well. We all know that these things ain't like a Lexus....but if we take good care of them on the maintenance side...hopefully we'll stay "lucky".
One tip I do have for new purchasers is to get a small video camera and tape your PDI inspection. Ours took 4.5 hours...and we got a lot of the important questions asked and answered on tape. It is amazing how much you forget in just a short time and the video really helps in review.
I got a vivitar "GoPro" type knockoff for just 50 bucks and it earned its' keep!
Incredible deal : Vivitar 12.1mp Digital Camcorder,DVR 787HD - Walmart.com

Get memory...16gb gives you 2 hours of hidef recording for about 10 bucks. 32gb is 19 bucks and gives you 4 hours.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #20

Dusty,
I have a new to me 2013 352 that I picked up in May. Had 5000 miles on it and the original owner had it since new in February 2013. I too was not familiar with Forest River and was a little nervous why it was already for sale but I could not see any glaring problems. Went through the PDI and found entry door needed a rivet in the top bracket. I too have the open slot for the cooktop covers, maybe I will get around to coming up with a cover for it. So far the grand kids and I have had a great time with it..........if only I could convince them they do not have to stop at McDonalds for fries. I have found this forum to be extremely useful with a lot of information for our units. When I have had questions, I did a search and found that all of my questions had already been answered. Good luck with your purchase and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.