Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Question Seeking Advice

I've all but accepted delivery on a 2014 GT 351DS. I'm making the 150 mile drive to kick the tires this morning and plan on placing the deposit and doing a PDI Wednesday. I spent last night reading this forum and got a little spooked. I expect some problems with any new RV but a lot of what I read made me think Forrest River may not stand behind their product as I thought they would and many of the problems seemed really serious.

Does anyone have any "Good News" stories regarding the 2014 351DS or helpful advice for my visit today or my PDI Wednesday? Thanks Everyone!

DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Unfortunitly the negatives are voiced "louder" the the positives', a negative comment usually takes up pages of comments from ppl trying to help or voicing their opinions whereas a positive " I love my TT" will get less response due to less need...thank goodness I've been the less needy...

2008 Silverado 5.3 tow package
2013 Roo 25rs
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Print out a couple of these and fill them out, if someone else is going with you have them fill one out and then compare notes.
MAKE them show you that everything works, furnace, stove, A/C, water pump, EVERYTHING.

If you have a hidden bed make them show you how to set it out.
Make them show you where the water heater bypass vales are.

Run the awning and slides in and out.

Know what and where every switch is and does.

If they are unlabeled make a note and label it later.

If you have ANY questions do not be afraid or scared to ask because the only "dumb" questions are the unasked ones.

Under no circumstances let them rush thru the PDI.

If there is a problem with something that you feel is significant do not even pull it off the lot, leave it there and have the service dept fix it.

and good luck.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
I don't have that model, but the things to look for are basically the same. Don't let them gloss over any items in the PDI - verify for yourself that all the appliances, ac, furnace, slides, etc are working to your satisfaction prior to heading home with your TT. Understand how to properly setup and use your WDH (if needed) and brake controller. As far as being spooked, just remember that for every horror story there are probably 20 buyers that are completely satisfied and have had no major issues, including myself. Forums do tend to serve the purpose of providing an outlet for people to vent their frustrations.
2013 Roo 183
2012: 1042 Miles, 13 Nights camped
2013: 2772 Miles, 27 Nights camped

2014: 2259 Miles, 30 Nights camped
2015: 1644 Miles, 20 Nights camped
2016: 550 Miles, 11 Nights camped
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
We love our FW too. As was stated the good news does not make it out here much. Most posts are from people that do have a problems and are looking for help. But for all the RVs out there that is a small number. Will you have some issues sure you will. You are buying a house on wheels. You will find post out here to were people are having fun. Posting their rigs, doing fun new modifications on their rigs, and posting even their dogs. You will enjoy your new RV!
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
We bought our 2013 378xl at banner chevy /rv in Baird tx great mh and great people it took their tech over two hours to show us every single part and operation of it great guy we had a issue with the lip pert steps and they took of it quickly ,,,just good people and a great mh yes you will have a few issues (so) don,t let that scare you away from a great mh

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Site Team
As others have stated, go slow on your PDI and check out all you want...and ask all questions. If this is your first Class A, make sure they explain the generator operation, inverter if equipped, water heater operation (including electric/gas separate sides as well as bypassing for winter and how/where the bypass valves are), and water/sewer dumping process.

Hook up water, fill water tanks, water heaters, check water pumps...look for leaks.

If your model is equipped, and you plan to tow a vehicle behind it, make sure to go over all that too.

Good luck and welcome to Forest River Forums.
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
IMO it's more about the dealer than Forest River. Seems to me that I hear more about dealer issues on here regarding repairs than actual deep rooted Forest River issues. I agree that there are a lot more satisfied owners than dissatisfied.

As far as the PDI, I totally agree with Ford Idaho. Also, several people on FRF have suggested even taking a video camera and recording the walk thru. That way if you can't remember something, you can run back thru the video. Good luck!
North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
I have a 2014 GT 378, yes we have had very few minor problems it, and I do mean minor problems, we love it. Please don't expect that everything will be perfect because it won't, you will have problems, hopefully minor, remember your house wasn't perfect. Like others have said generally only the ones with problems tend to post. If it were me I would still get it, have fun, and make memories with my family.
Pennie and Chuck, Mandi and Polly (the little dogs)
2014 Georgetown XL378, 2013 Honda CR-V AWD Toad
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 49 and counting

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
If you don't do anything else MAKE them do a front end alignment!!!

And while they're doing that have them do the "Cheep Handling Fix (CHF).
Cheap Handling Fix

If you can
spend a couple of nights in a campground close to your dealer.
So you wont have to make that 300 mile round trip for warranty work.

If you do get to spend some time close to your dealer use the fresh water tank as much as possible.
Sediment in the water lines

Greetings and enjoy your new 351

2012 Georgetown 360
SHE wanted "a new motorhome"
abjb is offline   Reply With Quote