Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
I love you guys and your wisdom... however, what I need is a simple kick in the butt, point me in a direction and statement... "This is the one that you need!" I'm okay with that! ;-)
Their is alway more than one way to skin a cat and finding a replacement battery is like tires.

With all this information my head hurts at times and when the time comes to replace my batteries I plan to pull up to Sam's Club with my motrohome and buy two sealed AGM batteries that fit and let them install. That will be $279 please cash or credit?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Their is alway more than one way to skin a cat and finding a replacement battery is like tires.

With all this information my head hurts at times and when the time comes to replace my batteries I plan to pull up to Sam's Club with my motrohome and buy two sealed AGM batteries that fit and let them install. That will be $279 please cash or credit?
Iggy all your info is great. What I did was go with two 6 volt Trojan batteries hooked in series. Remember cold cranking amps is what you don't want to look at, I looked at amp hours, mine happen to be 220 amp. hours. I learned this from all the guys I hunt with while dry camping. We all use 6 volt.my brothers 6 volt Trojan batteries are 6 years old and still going strong. I installed mine two months ago and ill let everybody know how long they last. All I know is they hold a charge a lot longer. Pete

Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Iggy all your info is great. What I did was go with two 6 volt Trojan batteries hooked in series. Remember cold cranking amps is what you don't want to look at, I looked at amp hours, mine happen to be 220 amp. hours. I learned this from all the guys I hunt with while dry camping. We all use 6 volt.my brothers 6 volt Trojan batteries are 6 years old and still going strong. I installed mine two months ago and ill let everybody know how long they last. All I know is they hold a charge a lot longer. Pete

Do you have a Georgetown motorhome or a trailer?
Is the 6 volt Trojans the exact same size as a Class 27 battery?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Do you have a Georgetown motorhome or a trailer?
Is the 6 volt Trojans the exact same size as a Class 27 battery?
yes I have a 2012 378ts.the new 6 volts are a little taller is all and not a issue. I installed these guys myself and was easy. I just hooked in series. we have 4 diesel pusher in camp and 3 gas motor homes all use 6 volt.i think its the way to go. the batteries are 65lb. a piece. Pete
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #15

Iggy, I have the original batteries in my coach and according to the sticker on batteries, they are three years old this month. I have had mine boil over two or three times. Two weeks ago the batteries were weak and I checked and they were low on fluid. I refilled with distilled water and charged, unplugged charger and waited three hours for batteries to rest and checked current and it was 12.6 on each battery. I am looking at a three stage inverter / charger, which is supposed to do a better job of charging, without boiling. I ran across some info, a little dated but still relevant you and others might be interested in, plus the wiring diagrams are great. The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) enjoy.. Good subject matter though
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
yes I have a 2012 378ts.the new 6 volts are a little taller is all and not a issue. I installed these guys myself and was easy. I just hooked in series. we have 4 diesel pusher in camp and 3 gas motor homes all use 6 volt.i think its the way to go. the batteries are 65lb. a piece. Pete
The question I have now is....
Do you have two 6 volts becasue you dry camp a lot and need the voltage to high longer or do you feel the 6 volt batteries will have a longer life expectancy than the standard 12 volt?

Also does the taller 6 volt batteries interfear with your hydraulic lines?
Mine are on top now and will definitely have an issie if I get taller ones.

Petey do you know what size/model Trojans you installed so I can see how they fit in the box? Love to see a picture if you can.

I just found the Trojan RV battery catalog and attached it here for you to check which oones you have.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 26 2012 043.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	38731  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan_Battery_Catalog.pdf (253.0 KB, 43 views)

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #17

Here is what my Intelligent Charger does.
Model PD9270
Would this be called a 3 stage charger or just an intelligent charger?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	38733  

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #18

I have a TT and there is only room for one battery. With that, I bought a Trojan T-1275 which is a 12 volt with 150 amp hrs and no cold cranking amps listed. It weighs around 85 lbs. so it has big, heavy plates. For those of you who can only have one battery I would suggest this. Two would give you 300 amp hrs, more than the two T-105 or T-145 6 volts would give you. It's a $250 battery though.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #19

Iggy, I would say you have a three stage unit. I have the original Converter / charger, that my coach came with and it will boil the batteries if not constantly monitored. I leave my coach plugged into shore power while parked, as we like to be ready to go when the mood strikes, plus we use it as a get-away camp often. I leave fridge running and stocked for travel. My previous motor home, was a 1998 Southwind, 35ft. This coach used two trojans in series, worked well but with only two 6's, if you dry camp, lose one and you are up creek. To adequately do this you would need 4, 6's. If we lose on battery on road, we still can use all 12vt systems till a replacement is installed. Food for thought.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #20

Quote:
The question I have now is....
Do you have two 6 volts becasue you dry camp a lot and need the voltage to high longer or do you feel the 6 volt batteries will have a longer life expectancy than the standard 12 volt?

Also does the taller 6 volt batteries interfear with your hydraulic lines?
Mine are on top now and will definitely have an issie if I get taller ones.

Petey do you know what size/model Trojans you installed so I can see how they fit in the box? Love to see a picture if you can.

I just found the Trojan RV battery catalog and attached it here for you to check which oones you have.

Thanks
yes these batteries are taller but will not hit steps. The hyd. lines I used 3 large plastic strips to pull them upwards,clearence now is 3 inch away from batteries. these batteries will hold a lot longer than 12 volts,same problem I had with 36 foot 5th wheel. They are trogan 110 deep cycle golf cart battery. Hope this helps. Pete

Tags
battery, replacement, select