Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Selling..

I figure many here have gone thru the cycle of buying and selling of there various rigs. This is our first Class A and after a year ownership looking to sell and eventually downsize back to a TT. We are in Florida and realize the seasons have a big impact in buying and selling but what have you found is best time of year and best means of doing a private sale? I am thinking many want dealers for the trade in aspect. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FL family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

I would think right now is a good time to sell. People are gearing up for the spring camping trips.

But if you want to sell quickly the best thing is to ask a decent price. That goes for anything a person sells.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We sold our tt on craigslist for about $3000 more than any dealer was willing to come close to. You have to be very careful and willing to deal with some lookie Lous but it pays well if you do it right. Make sure you state you are only willing to do business locally and in person. We set up a separate email account as well to avoid the risk of opening an email with a virus or something from a spammer. Do not include your phone number as you will get spam phone calls. We still had payments on ours when we sold it and we were up front with potential buyers that we could not provide a title until we paid off our trailer using their purchase money. We did allow the buyer to take possession when they paid us and then we met up again to transfer the title after the check cleared the bank and our bank mailed us the title. To protect both us and them we had a bill of sale drawn up delineating the terms of sale and included the vin, any extras thrown in, the title transfer terms, price of trailer and that it was sold as is. There are many versions available on line or if you have a lawyer, they can draw one up. When a deal is struck, go to a local bank and have a notary for signing the documents. We went to their bank and had the cashier's check drawn up in front of us so that we knew it wasn't fake.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

FL Family - you've given us a lot of good ideas and shared much. Thank you.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

The last time I sold a vehicle privately, I followed consumer advocate Clark Howard's advice and met the buyer at their bank branch. A bank employee notarized the bill of sale and title signatures at no charge. The bank withdrew the funds from the buyer's account and I received the cashier's check directly from the bank, so I knew it was not a counterfeit.

As mentioned above by Asquared, if you post your phone number on a Craig's list ad, the spam callers will be relentless, trying to get you to pay and list with them. I learned this the hard way a few years ago... Adjusting the phone number slightly in the ad completely stopped the spammers from calling, as they seem to use software to harvest the phone numbers. Legitimate buyers had no problem calling me. Substitute letter "O" for zero "0", lower case "L" for "1", and spell out a number or two. For example: (5 O 2) l two 3 - 4 5 six 7.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Get a second free gmail or yahoo account and use it in your ad and for initial conversations with prospective buyers. If you find a legitimate buyer, you can switch to your regular email. The web spiders will capture your email address from the ad and you will get bombarded with junk. Apparently someone thought I needed a new wife from Russia.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Get a second free gmail or yahoo account and use it in your ad and for initial conversations with prospective buyers. If you find a legitimate buyer, you can switch to your regular email. The web spiders will capture your email address from the ad and you will get bombarded with junk. Apparently someone thought I needed a new wife from Russia.
So did you get a Russian Bride?
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #8

Let's see pics of Inga !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote