Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #1

sensor readings bad

Hi all. My sensors for the black and grey tank have not been accurate for a long time. I put chemicals in the black tank and have tried putting them in the gray tank too since they say on the container it cleans the sensors. It doesn't do that great of a job on that part because I just drained the tanks and the tanks read full.

I have read on here before that people use water softener to solve this problem but I have been to Walmart, Target, Home Depot and Lowes and have yet to find water softener that didn't come in a hard pellet form. I don't think that's the kind people are referring to.

Please advise if you have a solution to this problem. I'm tired of guessing where the level is on the gray tank.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Grape Escape

Cascade is available in powder form at any of these stores. I don't think sensors are ever reliable for any lenght of time. My gray water ones as well as black are a PITA
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

My two grey tank sensors are never a problem but both black water tanks seem to alway read 1/3. Occassionally they read empty but that's very seldom. I haven't tried this myself but I've heard of flushing ice cubes and using a tank cleaning chemical and then going for a ride to slush it around. This is suppose to remove any debris that may be stuck on the sensors. We have the built in black water tank flush kit and use it every time I dump the tanks but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference when it comes to the sensors.

Has anyone used CLR in the tanks to see if it's a lime or calcium scale problem? I would hope the sensors wouldn't rust.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
I have read on here before that people use water softener to solve this problem but I have been to Walmart, Target, Home Depot and Lowes and have yet to find water softener that didn't come in a hard pellet form.
I always have to ask at Walmart where the Calgon Water Softener is......it is usually down on the bottom shelve, and I these old eyes just can't locate it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #5

Hi georgetown50, I am more than likely the one you heard about. CALGON, in the liquid concentrate form, is what I use, and it is available at Winn Dixie grocery stores here in the south, in the laundry detergent and supplies area. It makes the clothes softer and helps to get them cleaner in hard water areas. We have a lot of lime in our well water in Florida, and water softening is almost a necessity here! Calgon may not be available in all areas of the country, I don't know. You probably can order some on line, however. Just a thought, if all else fails! GOOD LUCK! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

Calgon in stores

I have gone into the stores and looked and asked and have never found it. At Walmart that had water softener but it was in a huge 20lb bag that looked like pellets. That can't be what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the liquid form.

I supposed I could try to order online. Has anyone tried bleach? or Simple Green?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #7

The Calgon I'm talking about is in a 32 ounce bottle, it states on it that it does 16 loads of laundry, so it should be in the laundry supplies area at most stores. What it does, I don't know if you have ever experienced a shower or bath with soft water, (treated by a water softener) but it makes things slick or slippery, and also makes soap lather up really easy, thereby cutting down on detergent and soap household consumption. The idea is to add 2 capfuls of Calgon to the black tank AFTER you have emptied it, along with a gallon of water, and your favorite deodorizer-(check for compatibility with the Calgon). Then, as you drive home, or to the next campground, depending on when you added the mixture, it will slosh around in there, making the walls and sensors "slick", and therefore nothing sticks to the tank walls. I have never used any of the wands available for the black tanks, and my sensors almost always are working properly. Like I said in an earlier post, your area may not have hard water issues, so there may not be Calgon in the stores there; I don't know. GOOD LUCK! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #8

thanks

I'll keep working on it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #9

If you can't find it in the stores you can order it from here
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp78736_33...r_softener.htm
cma659 is offline   Reply With Quote