Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Setup for Overriding Electric Steps Auto Deploy

I think I'm a little slow but it took me a while to understand the whole "how to not have the steps not automatically go out thing". I couldn't get it through my head that even with the switch in the off position the stairs still deploy on the newer RVs(thanks lawyers). For those of us who have to go on ferries, where they pack us in like sardines, that the manufacturer gives you no way to override the steps is nuts. The manual says that when the steps encounter resistence they will stop depolying and lock. I tested that theory and the amount of resistence they need to encounter is more than enough to dent in the side of many of todays tinfoil cars.

In reading the forums on this site I did eventually figure out that buying a bar magnet and sticking it to the left door frame next to the door sensor lets you override the switch manually. I did however find that the postioning had to be very exact and that there was no way to test it without opening the door which could put a nasty dent in the side of the car next to you.

So what worked for me was taking some sticky backed label making material and cutting an outline of my magnet and sticking it to my door frame around the magenet when it was in its sweet spot. I also stuck a little up arrow on the front of my magnet. Now I store the magnet stuck to the opposite door frame and can just apply it with the arrow up and in the middle of my sticky cutout to have a 100% confidence that the stairs will not deploy when I open the door as I know I have the magnets polarity and postion exactly right.

I still can't beleive I have to do this at all.....but such is life.... 3 out of 3 service managers I talked to had no idea that the new steps auto deployed even with the switch off, they all had to go out to the yard and physically try it to beleive me.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
I put a toggle switch in the hot line going to the step control. Now I just turn off the power to the control whenever I don't want the steps to go out.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Don
I like that,
Is the hot wire next to the stair on off switch
and where did you mount the toggel switch?
Thanks
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

i did the same. I mounted the toggle switch in the storage comparment next to the step..just put it in the hot line from the step and that solves the problem.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo bamboo View Post
Don
I like that,
Is the hot wire next to the stair on off switch
and where did you mount the toggel switch?
Thanks
Its the big red wire that goes into the step control and I put the switch in the panel along side the steps on the side the refrigerator is on. However, it might be better to put to put it where polkatron did as my wife hits the switch every once in a while when she is cleaning the steps.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Anacortesians

I don't think we could safely get out of our GT's house door without the steps down. After my accident last year, I only use the driver's door at home with a step-ladder.