Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Btm

Sewer connection

The twisting down of the sewer for connection sure is lot of trouble compared to my FR3 that was at the outer edge of the side wall. I can't think of any reason this was not done at FR except cost. I also think that the twisting will cause a leak at some point.

Has any one twisted the connection down, added an elbow, sealed the hole, and extended the connection to the side wall ? The extension can attach to the bottom of the compartment for stability. The height of the connection will be higher than the retracted jacks, so dragging it should not be a problem.

Any thoughts or ideas about doing this.

Btm

2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Unless someone specifically has your model with knowledge of how it is plumbed, a photo of what you are trying to accomplish would help others offer advice.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Btm

Sewer drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Unless someone specifically has your model with knowledge of how it is plumbed, a photo of what you are trying to accomplish would help others offer advice.
No pics today--raining and 42deg. will do when I can.

I thought all GT5's had the same sewer connections, maybe not or everyone is OK with the rotating to get the connection thru the compartment floor.

Btm
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
NXR

I just leave the thing pointed at the hole and never move it. Would yours hit if you did that?

I get that you want the connection at the outer edge of the motorhome but that would put a lot of stress on that hose connector unless you added a 45-degree angle down, wouldn't it? Or did you do that as well before?

Edit: That being said, I just remembered that the day the motorhome arrived at the dealer we found one of the "nubs" for holding the cap and hose in place was busted off. The dealer replaced that whole "Y" assembly. Maybe they put something in that was not the same part. I've got about 2 1/2" between the bottom of the fitting cap and the hole.

(The extension cord goes over to the next compartment forward to plug in to an outlet on the passenger side. The white thing is a Thermo Cube. Unseen is the Honeywell Heat Bud 250-watt heater to keep the wet bay toasty until we get out of here.)

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	218807  
Old 11-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Btm

[QUOTE=NXR;2217638]I just leave the thing pointed at the hole and never move it. Would yours hit if you did that?

I get that you want the connection at the outer edge of the motorhome but that would put a lot of stress on that hose connector unless you added a 45-degree angle down, wouldn't it? Or did you do that as well before?

Edit: That being said, I just remembered that the day the motorhome arrived at the dealer we found one of the "nubs" for holding the cap and hose in place was busted off. The dealer replaced that whole "Y" assembly. Maybe they put something in that was not the same part. I've got about 2 1/2" between the bottom of the fitting cap and the hole.

Wow--all GT5 connections are not the same. This compartment on my M H is not as big as yours and would require a lot of work to move the "Y". My "Y" has to be rotated up and toward the outside to make room to get the compartment screw cap in place. When the "Y" is rotated down for connection thru the hole it is about 1 inch below the bottom of the compartment. It touches the edge of the hole when rotating. Yes I have been using 45 deg connection. I think rotating the "Y" will not work for long.

I will turn the "Y"down, add a 3 inch extension, then 90 deg out with a Valterra 10 inch add on ( with a cap ) toward the outside. I will also seal around the hole. It will make me a lot happier putting on the hose at the outside instead of working to connect at the hole.

Btm
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 11-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
Wow--all GT5 connections are not the same.
The actual compartment size, rear-most on the driver's side, is the usual 28" wide or thereabouts. Do not discount the possibility that the dealer used something they had in stock to replace my damaged one either. It's entirely possible my original one would have needed rotated as well; I just do not know.

I definitely remember asking the tech why I could not just leave it pointed at the hole and he grabbed it and pointed it downwards and it cleared. I just don't know if that was before or after the replacement was installed.

Ray
Old 11-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Btm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The actual compartment size, rear-most on the driver's side, is the usual 28" wide or thereabouts. Do not discount the possibility that the dealer used something they had in stock to replace my damaged one either. It's entirely possible my original one would have needed rotated as well; I just do not know.

I definitely remember asking the tech why I could not just leave it pointed at the hole and he grabbed it and pointed it downwards and it cleared. I just don't know if that was before or after the replacement was installed.

Ray
Yours looks easy to connect. Mine is right at the hole, hard to see and make connection. Even if if was intended to rotate, it is a poor design. Why not just run it thru the compartment and to the outside like so many other M H ?

Btm
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
NXR

This is the picture from when it was delivered to the dealer but it's swiveled instead of pointing down so it's not much help.

I wish I had the separate smaller hole to put the fresh water hose through like the 2019.5's do. I have to put fresh water hose and the sewer hose through the same hole.

It's dated May 31st and we drove it home on July 5th, so apparently we left it for a month for additional repairs.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	218816  
Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
Btm

Quote:
This is the picture from when it was delivered to the dealer but it's swiveled instead of pointing down so it's not much help.

I wish I had the separate smaller hole to put the fresh water hose through like the 2019.5's do. I have to put fresh water hose and the sewer hose through the same hole.

It's dated May 31st and we drove it home on July 5th, so apparently we left it for a month for additional repairs.

Ray
My "Y" is located in the left about where your compartment cap is. I also have a small hole for water that's located very left near the light.

I think that many things on M H are the same, but are installed/located only close to the same because the installers put them in the area.

Bth
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #10

Btm
mine is like yours in my '19 34H5, i like you are concerned with the twisting back and forth causing leak. i thought about an extension and out the side but clearance would be a problem for me as i have back up my driveway which steep and over 200 feet long, i need all the clearance i can get. i may just add an extension through the opening and seal around just so not have to twist pipe back and forth. if that makes sense.
Ray,
i think your connection is something dealer came up with, i had thought about drilling hole just for water line and installing grommet & cap for water hose, don't like sharing sewer opening with water line.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Btm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman53 View Post
Btm
mine is like yours in my '19 34H5, i like you are concerned with the twisting back and forth causing leak. i thought about an extension and out the side but clearance would be a problem for me as i have back up my driveway which steep and over 200 feet long, i need all the clearance i can get. i may just add an extension through the opening and seal around just so not have to twist pipe back and forth. if that makes sense.
Ray,
i think your connection is something dealer came up with, i had thought about drilling hole just for water line and installing grommet & cap for water hose, don't like sharing sewer opening with water line.

Sounds like the twisting is part of FR's plan. I will post Pics after I extend mine. If I can't extend it out I will do like you said and just go thru the compartment floor. May be a few weeks. In Ark now and will have to figure out what I need and order things.

Btm
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
GM

Quote:

Ray
Amazon sells deck plates. You could easily add another one for the fresh water hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3397581

I know at Dynamax...we had some 4 series models that were not the most "effectively" plumbed. The hole did not line up quite right and a customer put a much larger rectangular hole that allowed him to put on a clear 45 elbow as well so he could watch for clear water. Nice mod.

PS. Those are designed to twist in most cases. If I camp at a park with full hook ups for a while, I move it DOWN into the hole and keep the large door closed. If I am just stopping on my way out to dump...then I don't bother with the deck plate. I just go out the side door with it opened and twisted about flat.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Amazon sells deck plates. You could easily add another one for the fresh water hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3397581
Good idea. Never having had a boat I would not have thought of these.

Ray
Old 11-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Btm

[QUOTE=bclemens

PS. Those are designed to twist in most cases. If I camp at a park with full hook ups for a while, I move it DOWN into the hole and keep the large door closed. If I am just stopping on my way out to dump...then I don't bother with the deck plate. I just go out the side door with it opened and twisted about flat.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the info. about the twist being part of the design. I know myself and other will not worry about causing leaks. I also go thru the door if at a dump. Once I am sure it will not drag, I still intend to make an extension to the side wall for quick connections and convenience

Btm
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #15

Not defending FR, it might be easier to keep the waste pipe from freezing in the cold. I think the design is terrible, and was just a cost saving measure.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman53 View Post
Ray,
i think your connection is something dealer came up with, ....
If so, I may have lucked out by having someone break that "nub" off before we ever saw the motorhome.

It's definitely more usable by just spinning the floor cap off and sticking the hose up.

I wonder why someone thought the pivoting design was a better idea; it certainly adds a bit of complexity and another failure point with the rotating seals.

Even if it was to make it a bit more convenient for a hookup at a dump station versus a full hookup site, the bottom of these compartment doors are not flush with the actual bottom of the compartment. That means the sewer hose and all of its weight is pressing on that thin metal door frame lip which could eventually cause a hose failure and that would be decidedly inconvenient

Ray
Old 11-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #17

Why did they start putting the connection inside of the bin anyway? I have a 2018 same model but the sewer connection is under the bin about even with the outside wall.

BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote