Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Unhappy Sewer Smell from furnace vents

Can anybody offer some advice? When I dump the grey water on our Georgetown 378, I get a sewer smell from the furnace vents for a day or two afterwards, without the furnace running. (And on day three, it's time to dump again...) The problem is aggravated when I run the Maxair on exhaust; it sucks the smell from the floor vents into the coach. I taped over the vents, and when I removed the tape the next morning, there were some water droplets evident on the plastic vent. No smell from the drains or around the dump controls on the exterior, and I'm using deodorizer in both tanks. The stench is definitely in the furnace vents.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Can anybody offer some advice? When I dump the grey water on our Georgetown 378, I get a sewer smell from the furnace vents for a day or two afterwards, without the furnace running. (And on day three, it's time to dump again...) The problem is aggravated when I run the Maxair on exhaust; it sucks the smell from the floor vents into the coach. I taped over the vents, and when I removed the tape the next morning, there were some water droplets evident on the plastic vent. No smell from the drains or around the dump controls on the exterior, and I'm using deodorizer in both tanks. The stench is definitely in the furnace vents.
I have to wonder if your grey water vent that runs to top of the unit has came loose or fallen off your tank?

Do you have heated basement?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

The more I research, the more I think that a disconnected vent pipe is in fact the culprit. I've been running the Fantastic Fan to blow air into the coach for a day, thus creating a positive pressure to the furnace vents, and that seems to have dissipated the smell, for now. Still going to have to fix the problem. The issue now will be, how do I get at it on the Georgetown 378 without taking apart the bedroom closets???

As for the heated basement, the coach came with the Arctic Pac, so I'm assuming that the heated basement is part of that package.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

good luck keep us updated!
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The more I research, the more I think that a disconnected vent pipe is in fact the culprit. I've been running the Fantastic Fan to blow air into the coach for a day, thus creating a positive pressure to the furnace vents, and that seems to have dissipated the smell, for now. Still going to have to fix the problem. The issue now will be, how do I get at it on the Georgetown 378 without taking apart the bedroom closets???

As for the heated basement, the coach came with the Arctic Pac, so I'm assuming that the heated basement is part of that package.
That's why I asked that means there's a heater vent down below drawing up the fumes.
Post what ya find.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post

Also have a 378 and yes compartements are enclosed and a few heated. That gives spaces for odors to collect and come in close proximity to "heat ducts" in your case. It also makes access to the tanks very difficult. I've never done it to a RV but we used to "smoke test" boilers to locate casing leaks. In your case wondering if you could apply smoke or strong (pleasant)odor to the open vent pipe on the roof to force it downwards. This would prove its the vent without major ripouts of walls and cabinets. Another less desireable test is to fill the gray tank till it enters the shower. Thats above the vent tie-in and would result in water coming out the bottom without flooding the floor. Just wondering, lots of expensive exploring otherwise. Still have warranty?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Just a wild guess ...Maybe a rodent has gotten into your vents and died
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Definitely a problem with the vent pipe connection. It's just over the water heater compartment, and now I have water seeping out of that area. I'm going back to the dealer I bought it from a month and a half ago. This is far from normal. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Definitely a problem with the vent pipe connection. It's just over the water heater compartment, and now I have water seeping out of that area. I'm going back to the dealer I bought it from a month and a half ago. This is far from normal. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Bingo, a check of mine has the vent.terminal just ahead of the rear ac on curbside, black appears 3' forward on street side. They align roughly with their tanks. Beats lots of rip outs.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
I just sighted the vent extending to the roof located in the w/d locker in the bedroom. If you got the w/d hookup as an option they tied a trap into this vent/drain. All this is hard piped, good thing because the open power panel is just below mounted to the floor. I have to assume just below the floor is a connection to the grey drain tank probably soft like hose and clamps? The water heater is just below also. Can't get into the compartment save for hand hole access. Most likely that's where fitting is.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #11

Problem solved. RV tech spotted it right away. Turned out it was a leaking gasket on the toilet that let water run out and into/onto water heater compartment when we flushed. Yecch! Gasket had been replaced, not by me, by one that didn't fit. Now a pleasure to be in the Georgetown.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
"On the road again"

Isn't live grand when a pesky problem like that finally gets resolved!! Glad you're back in business without the smell.

And, I have to agree with you on the only downside to traveling! We have our 3 grandkids for the week - and tomorrow I'll be taking the 5th wheel to a campground an hour away and my wife will be camping with the grandkids 'til Friday when I'll join them (I've got to work, unfortunately).

Each summer the grandkids come for a week and it's affectionately known as "Gran-E Camp". The campout in the 5th wheel is a first...we'll see how it goes.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet
Isn't live grand when a pesky problem like that finally gets resolved!! Glad you're back in business without the smell.

And, I have to agree with you on the only downside to traveling! We have our 3 grandkids for the week - and tomorrow I'll be taking the 5th wheel to a campground an hour away and my wife will be camping with the grandkids 'til Friday when I'll join them (I've got to work, unfortunately).

Each summer the grandkids come for a week and it's affectionately known as "Gran-E Camp". The campout in the 5th wheel is a first...we'll see how it goes.
Did they check vent connection while they had the door off?? LOL

Tags
furnace vent smell, sewer smell, smell