Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Shade switch

I tried taking out the power shade switch in the instrument panel area out and you know what happened (MURPHY) It came apart and shot all the little springs everywhere. I cant figure out where those 2 springs came from. Does anyone know the part # for that switch?

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

I have attached the manual and should list the part numbers or a phone number to call and get a replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Shade Manual.pdf (332.8 KB, 78 views)
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

You need to find a 12 volt DC switch, 10-15 amp, 6 pin spade connection, double pole double throw (momentary on)

This is the type of switch it is. All you have to do is verify the hole size to my attached example on Ebay
DPDT 15 Amp Momentary 6 Pin on Off on Switch US Seller Shipper | eBay
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorio View Post
I tried taking out the power shade switch in the instrument panel area out and you know what happened (MURPHY) It came apart and shot all the little springs everywhere. I cant figure out where those 2 springs came from. Does anyone know the part # for that switch?
I gotta ask....were you attempting to move it to a more LOGICAL location? Always strikes me as strange they decided to put the front shades switches in the most inconvenient place in the coach when camping! I would have put them on the control panel by the slide out switches.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCoachMan View Post
I gotta ask....were you attempting to move it to a more LOGICAL location? Always strikes me as strange they decided to put the front shades switches in the most inconvenient place in the coach when camping! I would have put them on the control panel by the slide out switches.

I think that would be more inconvenient if you wanted to lower the front shade to block the sun while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
The shade is also a sun visor and perhaps a remote additional switch might be ok?, up front at the drivers location is, to me, the right place for this switch.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

I just don't use shade as a sun visor.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

No

Quote:
I was trying to pry the switch away from the wiring harness to test if the switch was the problem. As it is a two piece unit it popped apart before i could remove it from the six pins.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I just don't use shade as a sun visor.
Then what do you do when the sun is in your face.. I think this is the best set up for driving into the sun ever
Old 09-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

I don't like the shade down and swinging around when traveling. My preference. As for sun in the face, I guess I haven't run into that yet
Old 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #11

can't swing

Quote:
I don't like the shade down and swinging around when traveling. My preference. As for sun in the face, I guess I haven't run into that yet
It is in a track so it can't move around. After having all three types of visors, this is the best and easiest to use. But getting back to reason for this post does anyone know the part# for the switch to make the shade go up and down?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #12

The switch may be a proprietary FR switch with symbol on the rocker and you may have to contact FR to get one from a FR dealer. There are numerous type switches available out there but they may not have the printed symbol on the rocker.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #13

The switch is made by Carling Technologies and the part number is VLD1 but as said I believe it is proprietary to Forest River. You are correct, it is not just a simple DPDT momentary rocker switch. The switch connector is a Carling Technologies Packard 630 or 58. You can google Carling Technologies and punch in VLD1 in their site search engine and the switch type can be seen. There are data sheets associated with the switch that shows the internal workings and maybe you can use them to re-assemble your switch. There is a part number tag on my switch harness with Forest River part number FR-112635 and don't know if that is just for the wiring or also includes the switch. Best bet for exact replacement is through a Forest River parts dealer. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #14
2006 Georgetown 340

I was just working with the dealer here in Ohio to order another of these switches as I did the same thing on my 2012 GT350. Below is what they emailed to me:

40E11133A - SWITCH, MOMENTARY DASH POWER SHADES, # SW-212 (SWITCH), # AC-101V (ACTUATOR) - $21.85

Hope this helps.
compint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch