Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Exclamation Shake down cruise Blah!

Well, 2,200 miles in new 2011 Georgetown 360. I recommend that you do not pack very much, as my DW hung 4 pair of blue jeans, 3 ladies shorts, size 4 and 10 cotton polyester shirts in the closet from the over head hanging rack. Our first stop in northern VA, went to closet for shirt and rack had pulled out of celing and all clothes lying in a pile, rack was bent and of course screws could not be reinserted as they had pull thru the thin luan over head above the padded ceiling. follow this up with the towel rack in bath that pulled loose from wall, pulling towel off rack. Now lets add a screw stripping out of ornate metal art work screwed to same paper thin wall. FR uses 1 in screws to attach items to a wall that is 1/8th thick at most. I will be putting in to the shop as I return home tomorrow, but has anyone else found how cheap these units are assembled? Seriously, this is a beautiful coach, but as saying goes, beauty is only skin deep. To give the devil his due, the rest of the coach is pretty decent. Really impressed with Bilstein shocks and the running of the Ford V-10, so far climbing mountains from NC to Vermont, and back to current Fayetteville, NC, averaging 8.1 MPG for 2200 miles towing 2001 Saturn SL-1. Would like to hear about how these items handled by FR if reported. BTW a screw came out of the table leg too and is striped like other, the wood is pressed board, not even decent plywood.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

Sadly, we only get what we pay for. If we were willing to pay twice as much for our units, they would probably be built a lot better. Of course, they would also be a lot heavier, so our gas mileage would suffer.
One thing though, we have to be careful what we do, as evidenced by your closet rack issue. If we treat them like they are ready to fall apart (because they are!), the problems should be minimal.
Bottom line, I'm willing to live with it. I wanted a reasonably-priced and lightweight unit, so I knew there would be compromises.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Over time, you, like many of us, will have replaced all/most of the screws with expanding panel mollies, like these: Crown Bolt Zinc Plated #6-32 x 1 in. Hollow Wall Anchor with Truss Head Combo Drive Screw - 00469 at The Home Depot.

They are actually quite strong, and I've used them in a number of different applications.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Over time, you, like many of us, will have replaced all/most of the screws with expanding panel mollies, like these: Crown Bolt Zinc Plated #6-32 x 1 in. Hollow Wall Anchor with Truss Head Combo Drive Screw - 00469 at The Home Depot.

They are actually quite strong, and I've used them in a number of different applications.
Same here, Don't leave home wthout them! Our closet hanger angle I'll call it actually was secured to the framing behind the luan. However they only had 2 screws in the entire angle, 1 at each end. I just added 4 more from the collection of screws I've found when the drawer bracket broke and I pulled out the drawer to replace the plastic rail holder. In my case I pop riveted the drawer rails to angle I ran from the floor to bottom of the TV opening. They aren't going anywhere now.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
BTW a screw came out of the table leg too and is striped like other, the wood is pressed board, not even decent plywood.
I had a similar problem. I removed the table, dug out all of the loose material. Took a small drill bit and drilled a couple holes at an angle within the hole. Mixed up a two part epoxy and poured it in the hole, pressed it so it went into all of the holes. Waited an hour, drilled a new screw hole and reassembled. It's been good for more than 4 years now.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
the wood is pressed board, not even decent plywood.
I feel your pain and don't blame you for being upset.
IF you are an RVer it really helps to be a handyperson as well!!
FR should be able to install the closet shelf so it stays there.

As to the pressed board--- I don't like it either but a couple things to
consider- pressed board is heavy and if it gets wet internally it can literally
fall into a pile of sawdust BUT it is FLAT.
Plywood almost always will warp or have some curve in it.
If you want a flat table it's gotta be something like pressed board or
"solid surface" counter top material.

Moly bolts are great once you get them installed but do be careful and
get absolutely the shortest ones you can! I poked a couple tiny holes
thru the rear skin on my trailer when I was hanging a shelf in the bathroom
using moly bolts.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #7

We have a 2011 G'town 280DS and haven't experienced any of your problems. yet. I do have quite a bit of stuff hanging in both closets and so far so good but I'm going to have DH double check the support & screws.

Our mileage isn't quite as good as yours though. We were getting just over 7 but that was with the dash A/C and bouncing down the interstate at 65mph (not ME that was driving). Once DH figured out the low mileage, he dropped to 60 which made for a much more pleasant ride and coupled with the roof A/C instead of the dash, we managed just over 7.8mpg even with the gen running. We just turned over 1000 miles though and hope that as the engine breaks in more, we'll gain some mileage.

Fire Instructor> thanks for the tip & link! Those have been added to the shopping list.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #8

It helps to have a DH that is very handy. We wouldn't drag our TT back to the dealer for a few loose screws, towel bars, etc. DH would fix them up better than new in a heartbeat and we wouldn't have to spend 2+ hours on the road and the wait time to get them fixed. That's why we travel with a huge toolbox!! We were fully aware of the quality issues before we bought our TT, and knew we'd have to deal with issues popping up now and then.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #9

Ya it's to be expected. Travel with a toolbox for the little things. I had the same problem with the table screws and I replaced them all with a little bit larger screws, drill and put some 15 min. epoxy in each hole before installing the new screws. Mine have held up for over a year now.
jerry929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

Wow, we have an '05 Georgetown (used) and have spent 2 months in FL with every closet position filled with no failures. I sure will check how secure things are, though...

Just got back from a 1500 mile tour of Michigan (towing) and ran the dash air as well as the Gen for much of the time and got in the low 7's. I do not exceed 62 MPH unless it's downhill. Much of my travel is closer to 55.

I agree these things are made of thin material and a little better thought by the Mfgr could increase quality. I am forever finding screws on the floor that came from somewhere. I am sure something will eventually fall off the wall.

Overall, we are pretty happy with out Forest River...

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Same here only I used the following type of anchor with 3/4" screws. They come in an 1/8" depth for paneling. Don't leave home wthout them! Our closet hanger angle I'll call it actually was secured to the framing behind the luan. However they only had 2 screws in the entire angle, 1 at each end. I just added 4 more from the collection of screws I've found when the drawer bracket broke and I pulled out the drawer to replace the plastic rail holder. In my case I pop riveted the drawer rails to angle I ran from the floor to bottom of the TV opening. They aren't going anywhere now.

Name:   ATP-Plastic%20Toggle%20Anc.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  17.7 KB

They are available in an 1/8" depth at the top for use on paneling. I purchased 3/4" screws to use seperately.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #12

I also added a 3/16" x 2" wide strip of metal under each end of the table to stop it from warping or bending, works great.
jerry929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #13

mollies

That is EXACTLY what I have been looking for! We just bought our unit and I have added a few things the wife wanted. I have been worried about the screws "catching" anything at all... Thanks you!

Stay low and safe fellow firefighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post

cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #14

Closet rod fell off in our new 360 on the first trip...so...I just installed a new rod made of one and a half inch closet rod (wood) stained it and attatched it at both ends with endcaps into a piece of 1 inch fir and then to the 2 x 2 wall framing in the closet...it is strong enough now to hang myself on while I figure out how to rectify all the other things that are falling apart on this rig....
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #15

Charlie's got the right thing and there is a better coach at the same price ,infact how after seven years with my Georgetown I have found two better built.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cherry View Post
Charlie's got the right thing and there is a better coach at the same price ,infact how after seven years with my Georgetown I have found two better built.
There are lots of better built, but not at these price points!

I'm on my fourth Forest River product, know what to expect, and eat whatever costs it takes for me to have a pretty high-level RV at entry level cost.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #17

My wife and I love our 2005 375 xl

Yes, we have a few problems, but coming form a 1985, gas guzzling, falling apart MH, this is the Hilton. I can take a few things needing fixing to live in the luxury our coach gives us. We have learned over the years with our older coach to take it easy on these things. My wife kept the older one so clean the saleman couldn't believe it was 26 years old. If you take good care of your MH, it will take care of you.
I have to admit to finding a few screws loose in the compartments, but just figured the assymblers were sloppy. I will take a closer look next time out.
Now, if I could just figure out how to get my microwave out to get it serviced!!

Ron
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #18

To all who replied, Thanks, there are some great ideas here and they will help, I guess my biggest lament is a new vehicle should not have to be rebuilt by the purchaser, or FR should send me a check for repairs and catching their lack of quality control. Thanks again, I do like my Coach, it fits my needs perfectly, and from the floor down, it is amazing in storage and running gear, love the v10, just not crazy about the severe down shift on minor hills in OD, but driving by foot is better for fuel any way.. Thanks again all the good folks on this site are super.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
I doubt very much that the screws holding your hanging brackets were just into the luan. Since we are full timers we loaded our 378TS before we left the dealer. The bracket fell before it was half full. The screws were into the framing but not long enough to go thru the foam backed ceiling and get enough threads into the framing. The tech replaced the 1" long screws with 2" and it's been fine ever since and I have big heavy clothes with every slot filled. I am very happy with my Georgetown. This my fist motorhome but having owned four fifthwheels from entry level to high end I know there are things that don't get assembled properly and slip by QC in all of them. It's the nature of the business. Assemblers are paid per unit not by the hour. We toured the Georgetown factory in Elkhart and it was almost empty at 2 PM because they had made their quota for the day. This practice is true for $95000 hazards or $175000 diesel pushers. Some of the very high end MH's are assembled one at at time, though. It's hard to beat the bang for the buck you get in a Georgetown.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cherry View Post
Not everyone can afford to purchase the better built units. A few bolts, screws, towel bars, etc. that come loose is a small price to pay for being able to afford the RV lifestyle.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote