Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 13
Shore power Question.

I have a Forest River series 5. When I use my adapter and plug in to basic 120 with no appliances or lights on I can hear qthe distribution box kick in and then within a minute or two it kicks a breaker. If I turn off the the main power switch just inside the door (I am assuming the power from batteries )it won’t throw the breaker. When I am plugged in to a 30 or 50 amp plug there is no problem.
__________________

Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitehouse, Texas
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tncatfanforever View Post
I have a Forest River series 5. When I use my adapter and plug in to basic 120 with no appliances or lights on I can hear qthe distribution box kick in and then within a minute or two it kicks a breaker. If I turn off the the main power switch just inside the door (I am assuming the power from batteries )it won’t throw the breaker. When I am plugged in to a 30 or 50 amp plug there is no problem.
I am assuming you are talking about the breaker that the power cord is plugged into. Then.
Do you have a residential fridge?
Maybe between that and trying to charge your batteries you're over 15 amps
__________________

__________________
2013 Georgetown XL 378
2008 Honda CR-V
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SlowrideHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I am assuming you are talking about the breaker that the power cord is plugged into. Then.
Do you have a residential fridge?
Maybe between that and trying to charge your batteries you're over 15 amps
Water heater probably is set to "on". Switch off the electric to the water heater and try again.
__________________

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,954
Are you sure the campground power is good?
Are you a 50 amp or 30 amp?
What do you mean kicks a breaker? Which one? Inside or campground power?

Do you have all AC units off as well as the electric water heater switch?
If all is good and verified proceed to #1 below

1. Turn off the main breaker and all the smaller 120 volt breakers inside.

2. Plug into shore power

3. Turn on main breaker inside only. Does anything trips?
If not proceed to next step

4. Turn on 1 breaker at a time inside and wait to see if power trips off

5. Keep turning on each breaker until the main power drops out and you found your problem circuit.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Are you sure the campground power is good?
Are you a 50 amp or 30 amp?
What do you mean kicks a breaker? Which one? Inside or campground power?

Do you have all AC units off as well as the electric water heater switch?
If all is good and verified proceed to #1 below

1. Turn off the main breaker and all the smaller 120 volt breakers inside.

2. Plug into shore power

3. Turn on main breaker inside only. Does anything trips?
If not proceed to next step

4. Turn on 1 breaker at a time inside and wait to see if power trips off

5. Keep turning on each breaker until the main power drops out and you found your problem circuit.
Thanks for the diagnostic steps. It occurs when I use a basic extension cord and plug into a 20 amp circuit. I will use this method to trace it out. I am fairly certain the water heaters and fridge and other things are off.
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: payson, az
Posts: 1,849
did we confirm that the breaker that is tripping is for the 20 amp circuit that the extension cord is plugged into? is the receptacle that the extension cord is plugged into by chance a GFCI receptacle? try turning all branch circuits in the rv off and then turn on only the GFCI circuit in the rv on. does the receptacle breaker trip then? if so you may have the two GFCI in series issue.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 2,280
Be sure you are using a heavy duty extension cord (12 guage) and as short as possible. Most likely culprit is the hot water heater. Turn it off.
__________________
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2017 Wildwood 27 RLSS
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab, 8 speed transmission
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 26
Is the 20 Amp a GFCI source?

If so, it is not unusual for the stray capacitance of all the wires in an RV to trip a GFCI.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Is the 20 Amp a GFCI source?

If so, it is not unusual for the stray capacitance of all the wires in an RV to trip a GFCI.
I may have found the problem. My one control panel was showing my electric and gas off on my water heaters but they were on. I had to flip the on off switch on the actual water heater to off to solve the problem
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: payson, az
Posts: 1,849
looks like you found another problem. i am not familiar with a one control panel but i think it is an electronic touch control panel. but why did it show the water heater off when in fact it was on?
__________________

__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power, shore power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.