Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Should Forest River reimburse?

If we can agree to say there was an economic downturn, recession, depression, or whatever in and around 2008..............

We purchased a brand new 2010 Georgetown 330TS from an authorized dealer in August 2010. However, it was only quite some time thereafter, that we found out it had been built on a 2008 Ford chassis with the Triton V10 engine. This discrepency was probably due to the severe reduction in new motorhome units being built around this time by a number of different manufacturers. Inventory of chassis orders were obviously greater than the number of recreational units being attached at the time. Being that we were the first citizens to own the rig, the Ford warranty started as of August 2010, even though the chassis was assembled by Ford in 2008.

Fast foward to May 2012, and our dealer, while servicing our rig, now advises us that in a "load test" of the house batteries, our batteries now need to be replaced. We knew the batteries had stickers indicating they were manufactured in June 2008.

My question...........should we as the consumer have to pay for replacement costs of batteries that were two years older than the same year as the Forest River house attachment because of supply versus demand?

I look forward to your comments, and who I might discuss this with at Forest River.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

Bet your tires are also 2 years older then you thought.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I don't believe they should be responsible. Batteries have a "born on" date not an expiration though typically you can expect about 5 years of life. The dealers responsibility was met, the batteries were in working order when you picked it up. Some battery suppliers will pro-rate the replacement if it goes bad within a time frame, for example 24 months.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Not to harsh but didn't you inspect these things when you bought the MH. The issue of the chassis happens all the time but didn't you get teh full warranty of the chassis and engine? Batteries are expendable as well as other parts. Brakes, winshield wiper blades, belts, etc.

Sorry to say but I think you will need to pay for the new batteries.
Wish I had a better answer for you. Sorry.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

If the batteries were fully charged when they were installed in 2008, and the unit had no use, then it shouldn't be an issue. A fully charged battery in good condition will generally keep it's charge, even through winter storage. It's a battery put into storage less than full, a battery stored with a low charge, or a battery that's subject to a trickle or parasite draw that becomes problematic.

When you buy a new car, if you check the tire & battery dates, you'll often find that they were manufactured in the year previous. The same would be found for many of the componants that "age"... belts, wiper, blades, etc.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Our 2012 is also built on a 2011 chassis. It is up to the RV dealer to register the sell date with Ford when they sell it. I found out that it had not been done when I had it serviced at the Ford dealer the first time.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

i wouldn't expect FR to be responsible for batteries, anymore than a new car that doesn't get sold a couple of years.
the dealer should be responsible for selling the RV with a good battery.

on towables, batteries are a dealer item.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

Our TT was two years old, but bought off the lot as new. I insisted on a new battery to be installed when we picked the unit up.
Things of this nature I learned from off this site.
Unfortunately, it is buyer beware.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
Our 2012 is also built on a 2011 chassis. It is up to the RV dealer to register the sell date with Ford when they sell it. I found out that it had not been done when I had it serviced at the Ford dealer the first time.
Had the same experience when the rear went up on my 2007. I called Ford to have the coach towed back to the Ford Dealership and found out the Vin number was still registered to Forest River. I had owned the coach for almost 3 years at that time. The lady at Ford took all of the information and straightened out the registration while I sat on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck.

Now as for reimbursement for the batteries. FR doesn't reimburse for their own mistakes. Can't imagine them taking on someone else's problem. You may want to inquire to the battery manufacturer. They may pro-rate the battery since it only lasted 2 years.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Now as for reimbursement for the batteries. FR doesn't reimburse for their own mistakes. Can't imagine them taking on someone else's problem. You may want to inquire to the battery manufacturer. They may pro-rate the battery since it only lasted 2 years.[/QUOTE]

Forest River did replace my batteries but ours were only seven months old and one of them blow up. They sent a dealer right to the rv park we were in with new batteries. They checked the converter and it was OK so John Armstrong thought it must have been a defective battery. They rechecked the converter again in Elkhart when we stopped in there in the spring on our way home from TX. It was not over charging.

Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote