Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

Should I buy a 2011 Georgetown 300s?

Hi everybody, my husband and I are ready to buy our first motorhome we have been looking for many months at many makes and many models. We live in California and found an out-of-state 2011 Forest River Georgetown 300 S that is an amazing deal compared to anything similar in age and amenities. I guess I am just a little concerned that before we go flying out of state and make a commitment we cannot back out of, that it isn't too good to be true. On this forum, I had found an earlier thread where several people had purchased this model and were posting back in 2011 about issues with the slide etcetera. Assuming that problem has already been resolved on this particular coach, now that six years have gone by have any current or previous owners provide any input that will help us make a decision? I.e. how does it drive, chassis size, etc.... anything everything?

It looks perfect and amazing in the photos but looks are always everything 😊😊

Thank you in advance for any guidance you may have to offer

P.s. I unknowingly posted this exact thread in another section of the forums and I don't know how to delete it I think this is the proper place and any help to remove the other one would be appreciated as well
Missamyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #2

Now that is your call lol we asked over and over which we should buy and we ended up finding something no one mentioned. If it fits your needs then it's for you
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walte1fr View Post
Now that is your call lol we asked over and over which we should buy and we ended up finding something no one mentioned. If it fits your needs then it's for you
Thank you for your response. I expected to hear that, and it makes sense but knowing that there are several members of this forum who are either currently or previous owners of this exact model, I felt that their experience might help me make the final decision. I have scoured the internet for reviews and such and have found absolutely nothing other than a thread on here with some complaints about the slide when it was brand new. I guess I haven't really found any complaints either which is a good thing but I am always able to find reviews of most makes and models and I just hate being in the dark.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #4

Yeah the one we went with has a bad review of a slide but also a guide on how to fix it. Hope it all works out for you. It's a new chapter in our life so I'm excited
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

It is indeed exciting, I can't wait get on the road, we've been looking forever. I think this is "the one" I'm just scared to buy something without at least one test drive, or testimonial haha
Old 04-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #6

Sorry, don't have that model so can't speak to it specifically. But, we were in the exact same position as you. We live in Michigan and bought a 6-year old Georgetown listed on consignment in Texas. It was listed with a dealer, though, and we paid them to do an "inspection". I also asked on this forum for responses to that unit, but never received any. Because it was exactly what we wanted, we went for it, but were thoroughly ready to fly back home if it wasn't what it was purported to be. We actually were very pleasantly surprised at a lot of extras we got that we hadn't expected (a complete tow package, newer tires and house batteries) and there were a couple of things it supposedly had that it didn't (outdoor shower-no biggie to us). We love it and have had it since 2012 and still love it. It worked out well for us. My suggestion to you is go for it, with eyes wide open. If you get there and it isn't what you wanted, be prepared to come back home!

Good luck.

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #7

We have a 2011 350 and like it. I feel we have just got all of the bugs worked out. That being said everything is now 6-7 years old and you will have issues. I would consider asking for a extended warranty if that is possible. That is normally included with houses around our area and may give you a little more secure feeling. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Georgetown 280

Your Georgetown

We have a 2013 bought brand new. One advantage you have is that all rigs have issues right off the line, and I assume (positive thoughts) that those issues have been corrected. We love our Georgetown, we belong to an RV group that includes all variety of RV's, so we get to compare all the time, and our choice to go with the Georgetown has been the right choice. Good Luck and Have Fun.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

Thank you so much everybody you helped me more than you know!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

Does anyone have a link to the thread concerning this model variant?
We bought a 2012 Georgetown in 2013 & have had zero issues.
So I'm interested to hear what folks are having trouble with ?
GrumpyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 AM   #11

Hi
I have a 2011 300s. We purchased it used in 2011. I haven't had any issues with the slide. I have a feeling that mine may have been modified before I bought it. The fix was a wider more gradual ramps that the slide rides up on for it's initial movement. I also give the ramp a shot of silicone lube once a year or so. I have had the typical Georgetown issues for these model years including:
- Orange return hydraulic lines on the Lippert jacks bubbling. Forest River was no help, so I had new hoses made up at a local shop and installed them myself. I am just as happy it went this way, as from what I have read the replacement hoses from Lippert were not much better.
- I had the Lippert Step recall done under warranty. You will find lots of posts on this issue on the forum. My steps never failed, but I am glad the recall is completed.
- My Williamsberg furniture Captains seats and sofa upholstery is falling apart. Again there are lots of posts on this issue. Forest River was no help since I am not the original owner. I pulled the sofa out, and replaced it with two recliners.
Overall, I do like my coach. The layout is good. It has lots of storage for hanging clothes. Many RVs don't have much.
Hope this helps!
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, georgetown