Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Should I buy one???

My husband and I are looking into buying a 2012 Georgetown 351DS VE ... The price is great and the interior looks wonderful. Now I've been told by several people to stay away from anything Forest River makes They said slides leak, doors break, electrical systems fail, etc... We have two children and will be traveling all 49 States in the next year so the last thing I need is to be broken down in the middle on nowhere. Having said that I would REALLY appreciate some honest opinions on this unit. Should we look for something else??

mbrwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team
You have come to the right place to gather information in making your decision. Read through as many posts and replies as you can to find out first hand what we think of Forest River units. You will be able to read the good as well as the not-so-good on what we really think as FR owners.

I love my trailer and would buy another FR unit!

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
main concerns I have seen
would be faulty frames
weak welds, metal stress etc etc

(which would be the foundation
of what everyTHING is built on)

hoping that in time
with more exposer
the issues will be tackled

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Ours is now 6 years old and goes off road all the time. We are not kind to it, as I pull a 3 horse trailer and go camping down miles of washboard dirt road in the woods and my son pulls a car trailer and takes it to the desert frequently. We have had to repair stuff - mostly the entry door, but for the price, we have been very satisfied with the quality. If you just drive it on paved roads, I would think you would be very happy with it.
alifarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Current River Rat
All brands have + and - reports.

If you search the internet enough for forums and reviews on different brands you will find it goes both ways. I've been pulling a TT since 1985 and have found good maintenance and treatment will go a long ways in serviceability and life. Our second trailer was a 77 Layton and only got used twice a year and we worked on it quite a bit. I have new Grey Wolf on order and am looking forward to getting it in and on the road. I will go over it with a close eye and make a few short run camp trips to see what, if anything needs attention. Another note on all the items in your camper. Those that are used on a regular basis will usually have less problems with appliances, etc. than those that sit most of the time. Regular use keeps them happy and you happy. Most are good brands because if they were really that bad they would be out of business. Safe travels.
Bruce & Sarah Tanner
Bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member
We've owned our Georgetown since November 2006. No major problems, a couple minor things but nothing that caused any time lost on trips. FR is no different than any other manufacturer, they all have a problem here and there. Most use the same Ford F53 Chassis. Personally for the most bang for your buck you can't beat the Georgetown. I'd buy another if they had a floorplan that I would prefer more than what I have.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Thank you so much for all the replies. Now if we can only work out a deal with our trades we'll be all ready to go
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
thinking about buying a 378ts any thoughts on this?
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
So now for the second part of my consideration of buying the 351DS... How many miles per gallon can I expect if I'm towing a Hyundai Veracruz?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
2012 Georgetown 378
Originally Posted by armye7 View Post
thinking about buying a 378ts any thoughts on this?
We just took delivery on a 2012 378 on dec. 1st and we love it. yes we have some initial problems like the fridge will not make or dispense ice or water, the drivers seat was damaged by the person who drove it to the dealer from the factory, a bunch of little things but nothing that keeps us from going out on the road. My problems are with the dealer who keeps putting the repairs off so he can service the snowbirds here for the winter. Do your research on the dealer as well as the coach....

raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote