Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Question Should I Purchase a Georgetown?

I am considering the purchase of a 2013 Georgetown 33.5 ft. Class A MH. However, in reviewing a similar 2012 model using Deal Data's RV review, they give the Georgetown only 2 stars out of five. Especially troubling is handling. They base this on the ratio of the wheel base as a percent of overall length. They calculate this as being 52% - and recommend a value of at least 57 percent in order to avoid handling problems. I'd greatly appreciate hearing about sensitivity to passing trucks, cross winds and any difficulty steering a straight line. Deal Data also gives poor marks, based on customer surveys to quality and value. When looking at the Georgetown I was impressed by the fit and finish. Also any comments on leaks, fuel economy, mechanical breakdowns would be welcome.

Thanks,
Guy Loucks
gloucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hello and welcome to the forum !
Altho I cannot help you with your specific problem I know someone on here will be able to help you shortly !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

You probably won't know for certain until you take a test drive. Generally, these ratio guidelines are correct. I once had a Winnebago Adventurer than had a similar ratio - it had a very long overhang from the rear axle. The handling characteristics were appalling.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloucks View Post
I am considering the purchase of a 2013 Georgetown 33.5 ft. Class A MH. However, in reviewing a similar 2012 model using Deal Data's RV review, they give the Georgetown only 2 stars out of five. Especially troubling is handling. They base this on the ratio of the wheel base as a percent of overall length. They calculate this as being 52% - and recommend a value of at least 57 percent in order to avoid handling problems. I'd greatly appreciate hearing about sensitivity to passing trucks, cross winds and any difficulty steering a straight line. Deal Data also gives poor marks, based on customer surveys to quality and value. When looking at the Georgetown I was impressed by the fit and finish. Also any comments on leaks, fuel economy, mechanical breakdowns would be welcome.

Thanks,
Guy Loucks
I think any long M/H will have a lousy ratio, but does is really matter? You buy it to camp, should be more than 57% of ownership. I've had them from 21' to 37.5' the longer the harder to handle, not because of wind or trucks, it because of less space to manuver in. I've got a GT now and to me the best looking and outfitted for the buck. Good luck with your choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	20235  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

No one here can really tell you whether to buy or not but, if you read this forum, you will find people who love their Georgetowns and people swearing they are junk.

The truth is that Forest River, the manufacturer is a Berkshire Hathaway company (Warren Buffet) and anyone who has worked for a large corp knows they are numbers based. They also have purchasing power and can get the best prices on components. Motor homes are boxes built by a coach maker and outfitted with slide mechanisms, chassis and engines, jacks, appliances and a host of other sub assemblies that are pretty much the same across brands.

As a result, Forest River producers are generally one of the better values in the marketplace.

Now, on the downside, Georgetown coaches are built in a factory originally built in the 60's to manufacture a brand called Champion. In those days, a 24 foot MH was pretty big, now they are building 38 footers there. The factory is old, crowded and not really well laid out. As a result, I believe they do not have the the processes that drive he highest quality. Their designs seem competitive.

I know people with $300 K Itascas and Newmars who have had quality problems and other brands where people have traded their units because they couldn't keep them in their lanes.

My suggestion is to find a brand, floor plan and price combination you like, buy it and be sure to get an extended warranty.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #6

I think you are answering your own question.
Now you want other to agree with you. Hummm. 1st post.
Do more reading and decide if a Georgetownis what you need.
If you don't like what you hear or read move up to something bigger and more stable. I'm sure cost is a factor.

I have a 2012 Georgetown GT 378TS
37 ft and 3 slides. I have pulling 5th wheel for over 20 years.
I have driven many large trucks that weigh much more than this motorhome. They all drive like trucks.
If you are looking for a car feel you won't find it.
If you are considering going full time on the road buy a diesel pusher, air suspension, etc.

Give us some more information what you are looking for and what you plan to use it for. Weekends or driving cross country. Then maybe we can be more helpful. No matter what we say you will have the final decision but at this time it sounds you don't want to buy one.

Hope to hear more.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #7

Re: Should I buy a Georgetown?

Thanks to all for your responses. I currently have a 1999 Jayco Designer 28 ft. long which my wife and I use about three or four months a year driving from Illinois to the Tampa Bay area each winter, and then up to Northern Michigan during the summer. We have also taken two 3000-4000 mile trips out to Wyoming and Montana in the five years we have been RVing. We mostly stay in county and state parks where there is typically a 35 ft. limit.

From looking at a Georgetown 327DSF recently, it appears like a very nice coach, fit & finish wise (at least to the eye) and would meet most of our needs - reasonable comfort and good mobility. A key consideration is the fiberglass roof - I had to replace the one on our Jayco and I son't want to have to do that again. I now have a lot more respect for low hanging tree limbs! From what I understand Forest River in general, and Georgetown in particular had some major quality issues up until three years ago.

Appreciate any insight you can share with me.

Guy
gloucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks to all for your responses. I currently have a 1999 Jayco Designer 28 ft. long which my wife and I use about three or four months a year driving from Illinois to the Tampa Bay area each winter, and then up to Northern Michigan during the summer. We have also taken two 3000-4000 mile trips out to Wyoming and Montana in the five years we have been RVing. We mostly stay in county and state parks where there is typically a 35 ft. limit.

From looking at a Georgetown 327DSF recently, it appears like a very nice coach, fit & finish wise (at least to the eye) and would meet most of our needs - reasonable comfort and good mobility. A key consideration is the fiberglass roof - I had to replace the one on our Jayco and I son't want to have to do that again. I now have a lot more respect for low hanging tree limbs! From what I understand Forest River in general, and Georgetown in particular had some major quality issues up until three years ago.

Guy
Guy
You have the experience as a driver and I think a lot has changed in engines, drivetrain, suspension and the great new stuff inside the MH's.
I would suggest to drive one and see what you are missing.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you compare it to your 28ft 1999 Jayco.

Go for it!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #9

While I don't have a Class "A" I've drove multitude of diffeent vehicles being a commercial driver. EVERY vehicle drive feels different, so if you hope the Georgetown will drive and feel like your Jayco, it won't. Like any new vehicle it'll take you several trips to get used to the new feel, and handleing. Is it an unsafe vehicle - I doubt it if it was they wouldn't be on the road, no one would buy them. Take it for a test drive and see how you feel with it, you have more then enough expierence to handle the RV. If the interior layout is one you like then go for it.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #10

Good advice from all.

For any motorhome, though, I'd recommend you look at it as a driving machine first, and a camper second. While it will never handle like a car, there are definately differences in over the road performance of the different platforms. Don't talk yourself into buying something that doesn't drive well because it is cheap or that you like the camper aspects.

Google "rv crash" or search youtube to see what I'm talking about.

I searched the materials on the Georgetown on Forest River's website. I find it troubling that there is zero information on the chassis of both their Georgetown models. You'd think that would be a major selling point. How big, what type engine? Pic of the chassis so you can see how big the frame rails? Airbags?

Instead of this vital information, you get paint schemes, wood work and pretty countertops.

Good luck in what you decide.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloucks

Guy
You have some good advice here. As to safety, driveability, economy, handling etc, can you spell FORD?, most chassis A and C are now Ford and have been for awhile. That just filters the waters a bit.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Anacortesians

We have an '02 GT 325, on the Ford F53 with the V-10. We're very happy with the drive train - it seems just about bullet-proof. It pulls like a team of Clydesdales, climbs the Cascade nountain passes at 35 - 40 mph with no overheating issues and gets about 7.5 mpg.

We bought it used in 2010 with only 12,500 miles on the chassis and 45 hours on the generator. We've put 4500 miles on it in three seasons - this season was limited by surgeries for me and DW, and a big family reunion over the 3 weeks surrounding Labor Day.

The original owners to remarkably good care of the interior. We've had one water leak issue that resulted from a rotted-out slide topper. It only affected the overhead cabinets in the slide-out and I built replacements.

After taking out those cabinets, I became a bit disenchanted with FR's build quality and a bit skeptical about some of their engineering, but I guess that, at this level in the quality/cost spectrum, it's not a major surprise.

As far as handling, yeah, it handles like an 11-ton box truck, because that's really what it is. There's no way I can get it to ride like a limousine, even if I spend more than we paid for it. I'd rather spend the money on fuel and CG fees. If the wind's blowing 45 knots or more we stay put until it drops. We usually are either on the freeway headed out or home (where the big rigs are going the same way at a similar speed) or on the smaller country roads where you don't meet many big rigs. I can't say I've been scared by any aerodynamic quirks. A couple of times I've encountered a strong yawing moment to the right when the bow wave of a big rig overtaking us swept the rear overhang, but now I'm expecting it and can counter it. Even when we got into gusting, 65-knot quartering tailwinds going over I-90 into the Columbia Gorge, it wasn't very dramatic.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #13

Hi!

We have a 2012 Georgetown 337DS. We have been mostly very happy with our MH. The problems we have had have been addressed by the manufacturer under warranty. Tom worked his way through college driving a moving van cross country and I have hauled horses with duallys and large gooseneck trailers most of my adult life. Our Georgetown handles the way I expected it to. We are now towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and we are not experiencing any problems with that. We started out with a wish list and looked at several new and used MHs before purchasing this one. Good luck in your shopping and happy trails.

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Good advice from all.

For any motorhome, though, I'd recommend you look at it as a driving machine first, and a camper second. While it will never handle like a car, there are definately differences in over the road performance of the different platforms. Don't talk yourself into buying something that doesn't drive well because it is cheap or that you like the camper aspects.

Google "rv crash" or search youtube to see what I'm talking about.

I searched the materials on the Georgetown on Forest River's website. I find it troubling that there is zero information on the chassis of both their Georgetown models. You'd think that would be a major selling point. How big, what type engine? Pic of the chassis so you can see how big the frame rails? Airbags?

Instead of this vital information, you get paint schemes, wood work and pretty countertops.

Good luck in what you decide.
We have a lot of information here about the Ford F-53 chassis, engine and drivetrain. It is a little difficult to find but I have updated a lot over the past 6 months. I will try and find the thread and add the link here.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #15

We have a 32' 2006 Georgetown and have been very pleased with the handling. We had a 27' Class A before, and this Georgetown handles much better and is a lot quieter. You can still feel the wind and will get pushed a little to the right when passed by semis, but it's not bad. And although my husband drives it the most, I do drive it about 30% of the time and feel comfortable doing so.

As for the quality, we have been pleased. It's a SE model which I think is a lower end model, and the cabinets, furniture, etc. were actually a lot nicer than I expected.

I agree with earlier posters--pick a floor plan you like, drive the unit, and get the best value for your money. We'd definitely consider a Georgetown again.

Good luck with your decision.

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #16

The old adage of "You get what you pay for", applies here. I am the owner of a 2011 360 Georgetown, 38 ft. I have no issue with the driveability of this unit and am satisfied with mine, there have been issues with it, as any box that travels at 60-65 mph down the hwy shaking and rolling. I got more bang for my buck with Georgetown than I could have with other similar units. Test drive two or three times if necessary and make the call. One of the most important things,aside from the MFG is the dealer, will they service what they sell and make you happy, after they get your money.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #17

Great Points copsuno!

1. You get what you pay

2. I got more bang for my buck with a Georgetown than any other similar units.

3. Is the dealer willing to service under warranty to make you happy after they get your money.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #18

We have a 2012georgtown 350ts with bunks and just turned 11,000 miles. We average 7.5 mpg. No issues but We are looking to go to a diesel for 10,000 lbs towing.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
We have a 2012georgtown 350ts with bunks and just turned 11,000 miles. We average 7.5 mpg. No issues but We are looking to go to a diesel for 10,000 lbs towing.

At least you can say you are using your MH having 11,000 miles on it.
I picked mine up in April this year and I'm close to 8,000 miles.
I also get about 7.5 -8 mpg on mine.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:

Thanks,
Guy Loucks
Should I buy a Georgetown?
I think you should only if you have a good dealer or you are close to Elkhart.
We switched from a fifth wheel and I first found the handling of our 378 a bit of a challenge. After getting an alinement and getting a little more experience with it I now think the handling is fine. All most all the problems we have had have been with components not made by forest river and would also have been in almost any brand we would have bought.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote