Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

shower mess

Another question, this one about the shower.

DW noticed a lot of water leaking out everywhere on the left side of the MH while I was showering. It was pouring out right where the water control and dump valves are located We thought about it and it was actually the first time one of us was outside when the other showered.

Today pulled the inspection panel off the bottom of the shower, and found that the hole that they cut in the flooring to make room for the Ptrap, which is sealed up with plywood and forms a "box". This box which is about 12x8 inches in size and about 4 inches deep had an inch of rust water in it.

Ran the shower and found that collar that holds the Ptrap to the elbow that is plumbed to the pipe that heads for the wall was actually just sitting on the Ptrap, ready to fall off. the water was of course running out everywhere, and has made a mess. I tightened it up, first by hand then with channel locks. No more leak, so much for the stealer that sold it to me and assured me that everything was ship shape. We had it for a little over 2 months and been out 4 times for weekend jaunts.

Here's the real mess. Tested it again, ahhhh there is still a leak. The shower floor around the drain is cracked. It is about half the circumference of the indent for the drain.

Any fixes? Other than tearing it out and installing a new shower.

Thanks

2008 Georgetown 350SE TS
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #2

I know someone who had the same thing happen.
This issue is the thinned material around the drain failed.

The repair was to reinforce below with fiberglass and wood around the drain.
Then fill in around the top drain with some type of bondo and then sprayed with paint to match the existing color.
This was done in Goshen Indiana by the shower stall manufacturer under warranty. Your being 2008 I don't believe so.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:55 AM   #3

Yep that was me and the repair is sound and strong. When I am at the MH ill take couple pictures and post them here. The repair took about 3 hrs total, was happy with the results, only fix would be to tear out, put in a new floor pan and tile the shower walls. That was our plan B but glad it did not come to this.

On another note, Iggy we moved into the house today and was nice having the kids and grandkids all over helping unpack the POD. New furniture, washer/dryer will be delivered Mon and Tues. So you and Di are set when you come this way......
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Yep that was me and the repair is sound and strong. When I am at the MH ill take couple pictures and post them here. The repair took about 3 hrs total, was happy with the results, only fix would be to tear out, put in a new floor pan and tile the shower walls. That was our plan B but glad it did not come to this.

On another note, Iggy we moved into the house today and was nice having the kids and grandkids all over helping unpack the POD. New furniture, washer/dryer will be delivered Mon and Tues. So you and Di are set when you come this way......
Great! Catch you on Skype some night.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the info.

I still have some Duraglass body filler and some body filler. I will try the same thing.

2008 Georgetown 350SE TS
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #6

As far as the crack around the drain on the inside I would try gorilla super glue the stuff is easy to work with and stronger than anything I have ever used.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
As far as the crack around the drain on the inside I would try gorilla super glue the stuff is easy to work with and stronger than anything I have ever used.
The problem is that the fiberglass is too thin at that location and needs more body first before any filler can be used.
Gorilla glue is not the answer with this issue.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
RJJ

I would try a bathtub/shower restoration company. They will be able to reinforce the weak pan area, repair the fiberglass and then paint to match. Have had them repair a few in stick homes, don't see why they couldn't do one in a motorhome.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Iggy I didn't say it was the answer but a fix to not have to rip out the whole shower. Still have to support the underneath though.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower