Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #21
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
We have a 2014 GT 351 and the first trip we took (January) the cameras worked great. In North Alabama, the humidity is off the scale in summer. For the past 3 trips my side cameras are worthless due to fog up. Beginning to wonder if it has become permanent.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #22

Just a quick follow up for what it's worth--per my previous posts, I've had side camera fogging problems since I bought our 2013 351ds. Tried replacing, drying and sealing but just took an 1100 mile trip and still had problems on the outbound trip. The heat from the engine is what causes the fogging by heating moisture in the camera and causing it to fog on the inside of the lens. Before leaving for the return leg I cut a piece of black foam pipe insulation into two, approximately 2 by 3 inch rectangles. I then cut halfway across each rectangle and slid the wire to each side camera into the center cut. I duct taped the insulation to the inside of the engine compartment over the area where the camera wire enters the compartment from the camera housing. As a result, the foam insulation keeps the engine heat from entering the camera through the opening to the housing and around the wire. I drove another 1100 miles on the return with no fogging at all. It's a cheap and easy fix and seems to work.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
jpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #23

I have use my cameras and have never had an issue with Fogging. Will keep you tip (Jpow) in mind and just may install the foam for added protection.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #24

Mine work fine...but I too hate to look down and find myself just not looking at them.
I'm with Al though...the rear close in cam is great for parking...but a long view would be nice to have. Betcha they could make one that does long view until you shift to reverse, with a manual over-ride on the screen. I'd trade my sides in an instant for one of those.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #25

Im gonna try the insulation trick
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote