Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Side Swiped

Need some advise and direction please.

Thanks to an elder driver in the home of elder drivers - Florida - I now have a new racing strip down the drivers side of my wonderful 351DS. (Okay no one throw daggers at me - I am no spring chicken - read 65).

Very little damage done - just a real long scuff mark, broken clearance lights, missing gas cover AND a loose hinge on the rear compartment. About $8000 in estimated damages.

So - guidance please. I am going to take my unit back to Lexington/Louisville Ky area. Any recommendations on who repair in that area. Anyone used Camping World? Any specials items for attention?

My unit is a 2015 Georgetown 351DS.

Thanks Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	69221  
Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Wow, sorry to see that..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #3

Could have been much worse. Older gentleman (IMO) should never have been driving. He recognized that - after modifying my coach - and has quit driving. His insurance is paying for the repairs but I've seen a number of accounts of crappy repairs. So that's the basis for the help request.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I Think the insurance rep would be the starting point for repair facilities. Like the old school teaches, three estimates. That way you get to talk to service managers and tour their shops. I lost a tire (broke all studs off the hub) tore up the side and the rear stab motor off. The insurance agent let me decide. I told the repair shop manager I was only interested in quality not quantity. So when's the best time to bring it in. They did a great job. Yes longer than I wanted but in the end I'm happy and that's what counts.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #5

donanddonna - only issue for me - it happened in Florida and I will need to get it repaired in Ky. Hopefully no issue with the 3 estimates. AAA is the insurance company and they've been helpful - for an insurance company.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have used Dunlap RV in Bowling Green to repair body damage and replace a roof on a former Jayco travel trailer. They did an unbelievable job. Not sure how experienced they are with your rv. I would definitely go back to them next time I need something repaired...and I am in Nashville.
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Mine happened in lower Michigan, had it repaired in Illinois. I don't think where it happened for repairs. Just that it is well documented where it happened. I waited until I got my baby back home and had time for her. Most do it that way.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #8

Insurance has accepted responsibility so there should be no problems getting it fixed where you want. Once you find a repair facility just give them the insurance contact information and the shop will take it from there. Sorry about the accident and glad it was not worse than it was.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #9

Only 65? You are a teeny bopper here in Fl. Sorry about the accident. If you are a Good Sam member ask them who they recommend. If not, go to the Good Sam Class A forum and you will get lots of info. Gotta go take my Geritol now.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #10

Check with Frank at Blue Grass RV in Lexington.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #11

Thanks whitmv
Old 02-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #12

I had the same thing happen to my fifth wheel. The fiberglass side panels can be fixed by many people. My local auto repair shop had the space to fit it inside. Side has been buffed and repainted with two part epoxy, total damage just under $ 10 000, Just to let you know if you have someone you trust with your car, they may be able to fix the rv
Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
Director, FROG

If you call the Georgetown service center at (574) 206-7600, they might have a recommendation.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #14

Rule: afraid of elder driver?! Solution: sell your RV and hide under your pillow. In case you haven't looked, they are everywhere. I would rather fend off elderly drivers anywhere vs NUTS in Atlanta, on cell phones, texting, etc. Last year I actually passed a guy who was eating a sandwich and holding a book at 12 0'clock position on the wheel!!
You do realize this is HIGH season for snowbirds in Florida? Right?! They say that elderly are out and about more from 9 to 11am and 3 to 5pm.
Just say'n....
Accidents can happen anywhere. Not defending Florida drivers! You likely could not have avoided the collision.
Thank goodness, no injuries!
Today's repair shops are excellent IF you select a good one. Call a couple of auto dealerships, ie Ford, Dodge, GM and get some recommendations.
Then check Better Bz Bureau.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #15

Silverback - I was reluctant to post much. My comments were made as background. The older gentleman recognized that he should not have been driving and took himself off the road. I spent 22 years in the US Army, what scares me is not older drivers - what scares me are two things. Poor repairs and lectures. You can figure out your category.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Silverback - I was reluctant to post much. My comments were made as background. The older gentleman recognized that he should not have been driving and took himself off the road. I spent 22 years in the US Army, what scares me is not older drivers - what scares me are two things. Poor repairs and lectures. You can figure out your category.
LMAO
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
LMAO

X2