Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Side View Cameras Fog when driving

I have a 2013 351 and have found that both of my side view cameras fog up after driving for a while (about an hour or more). It can be a perfect day, no clouds and hot outside. When I start, everything is crystal clear, but after some time, I go to change lanes and notice... cameras have become blurred -- either by fogging or just moisture build up while driving.

It happens to both sides but the rear camera is fine.

Anyone else having this issue and if so, what have you been able to find about this and how did you correct this problem?
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Drove 2k miles and ours never fogged in very different environments. Find out if they are fogging up on the outside or inside the lens. If it's the outside, cleaned them up really good and put some rainx on the lens. If on the inside, you have a leak and moisture is getting inside the lens.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Happens ALL the time! I had it checked under warranty and they said nothing was wrong. I drove it off the lot and used the left turn signal to merge onto the highway right after picking it up. Yep... all fogged! They sent me a new switch but its tucked away for winter now. I'll have to readdress it in the spring.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

I constantly had the same problem on my '08 Berkshire. Had the cameras replaced several times and still had the problem. I changed to color cameras and that is the only thing that solved the problem. I see you have a 2013 coach so you should be under warranty. You should contact Jensen and see if they will replace them under warranty. If not (here's the sales pitch) I have 2 new B&W side cameras that I bought before I went to the color cameras and will sell the pair for $40.

pm me if interested.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

Didn't realize there was a difference between 2013 and 2014. Ours are color. To be honest, I don't use them. The side mirrors don't have any blind spots and I hate to look down at the monitor anyway. Also, they are worthless at night since head lights drown the video.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Didn't realize there was a difference between 2013 and 2014. Ours are color. To be honest, I don't use them. The side mirrors don't have any blind spots and I hate to look down at the monitor anyway. Also, they are worthless at night since head lights drown the video.

How do you like your Scan Gauge II? Is it worth the money for the MH?

Side Camera USE...
The only time I use them is when turning on a street to watch the curb so I don't hit it.
I also use it on turns watching the rear lower sections behind the rear wheels. This is known to be where most damage happens on motorhomes.

Here is what my color monitor looks like in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 090.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	44022  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
How do you like your Scan Gauge II? Is it worth the money for the MH?

Side Camera USE...
The only time I use them is when turning on a street to watch the curb so I don't hit it.
I also use it on turns watching the rear lower sections behind the rear wheels. This is known to be where most damage happens on motorhomes.

Here is what my color monitor looks like in the dash.
Well, the scan gauge does a lot more than I'll ever need. Got used to having the MPG option in our vehicles and wanted the same thing in the coach. Not sure why because I'm a led foot anyway. Ford could have simply install the MPG option in the dash display like they do with cars. One thing I noticed is that if I keep the coach between 60 and 62 MPH it will squeeze between 7.5 and 8 MPG. The problem with that is that you'll never drive with traffic. I prefer driving speed limit up to 70 MPH and sacrificing 2 MPG.

Your monitor looks similar to ours. Very good resolution on the cameras. On turns I still used the mirrors but the cameras would be very useful. Most people don't realize that our coaches have a huge butt swing especially at gas stations. Left turn is easy, but a right turn can bite you if you aren't used to how much space you need.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

I have replaced my drivers side cam, same problem, fogged up first then quit completely. Very simple, outside cover pops off, two screws hold it to fiberglass. Only issue I had was where the cam couples to the wire to monitor, this is on front of firewall and engine heat had caused the coupling (plastic) screw together, to crack and crumble when touched, the plug in part still good so plugged new in and electrical taped it. If not under warranty, cam and wire $168.88, they have the plastic covers but they are white or black and would have to be painted, but yours is good if careful removing.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

I've had the same issue with my 2013 351. It started about three months after purchase when both side cameras developed condensation inside the lens. I took photos of the cameras and the dash screen and sent them to my dealer. They contacted the camera manufacturer and the manufacturer sent replacements for both cameras. Everything worked well for a few months. Did a round trip from SC to OK in July with no problems. Took a trip from SC to FL in October and passenger side camera started fogging up again. Didn't have problems with the drivers side until we stopped for a few minutes and then the driver's side started fogging too. I again took photos and contacted the dealer. They contacted the camera manufacturer again and he refused to replace them as he said they had placed the first set in a cup of water for a week and couldn't find any leaks. They also charged my dealer for the first set of replacement cameras.

The problem seems to happen when the temperature is high and the humidity is high, as it is most summer months in SC. I recently drove it and let the engine idle for a while with no problems but the temps and humidity are much lower now. I guess I'm going to have to contact FR to see if they can lean on the camera manufacturer since it appears they aren't going to take any responsibility and will deny there is a problem. I suppose he thinks I have nothing better to do than have my side cameras replaced multiple times for no reason. At any rate, I wanted to let you know the problem does exist but I don't have a good solution. Anyone have a FR contact you can recommend for this issue? My one year warranty expires March 1, 2014.
jpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

If they put them in water for a week and water did not leak then the issue must be with some internal component causing the fog as temperatures change. The manufacturer must have done HALT/HASS testing...well, probably not. There must be a batch of cameras with that problem since not everyone is experiencing the fog.
What's strange is that the replacement cameras you received is doing the same thing.

Not sure if you clarified this or not. Are they fogging on the inside?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Yes, the fogging is definitely on the inside. Here are a couple of photos. As I said, on the last trip only the passenger side was fogging from the beginning. We were having trouble getting the genset to start so we stopped in a rest area to check that out. I let the engine run for about 15-20 minutes to keep the dash air going while I worked on the generator. When we departed, the drivers side camera was also fogged. It appears the cause is outside humidity and engine heat as the cameras are mounted next and open to the engine compartment on the back. Liquid water isn't an issue but water vapor certainly seems to be. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1387908786.320415.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  4.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1387908805.354463.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  3.4 KB
jpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #12

It has to be some chemical inside causing it if they are not leaking. Either that or moisture trapped during assembly. That would really piss me off.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #13

My 2011 passenger side has fogged since I bought my rig July 2012. Had the dealer check out a couple of times during 30 day warranty and they said they couldn't find a problem. Since it occurs intermittently never pursued it. On my last visit under warranty service I had them note my initial complaint about the camera in case I want to make an issue about it.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote