Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Side winds

What’s the strongest side winds considered safe?
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Driving or sitting still?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #3

Driving
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Do a google search - much out there. Quoting from one (agree from my experience) "Your RV can be effected by as little as a 10 mile an hour breeze. At wind speeds of 15 to 20 MPH the effect increases dramatically. Winds near 30 MPH and higher may not be safe for some RV’s to travel at highway speeds, and this is especially true if the conditions include imbedded gusts."

Personally 20-30 is my decision range. Above 30-40, I'll stay put. Angle to travel is most important. Side winds are obviously the worst. Tailwinds are always nice for mpg, headwinds su**, but strong tail can lift the rear enough to loose traction, stability, ...
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegrinder View Post
What’s the strongest side winds considered safe?
Depends on terrain, speed and the aerodynamics (or lack of), on your rig.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #6

My experience has been that quartering into gusty winds are the absolute worst. Seems it hits the front of the camper forcing it one way just in time for it to travel down the back and then push the opposite direction on the rear.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #7

Trust me, you'll know when it's time to pull over. So much depends on speed, how your rig is set up, wind direction, traffic, geography, etc.
Rusty
lcv800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Trust me, you'll know when it's time to pull over. So much depends on speed, how your rig is set up, wind direction, traffic, geography, etc.
Rusty
In another life, "knowing when it's time" is Too Late. This is how the entire RV manufacturing industry operates. Why bother having QC during construction, we will only fix the problems is a customer complains - very flawed process.

Prior planning is the only way to be safe. Avoid the situation before it occurs. Naturally, this is not 100% possible so then deal with as unforeseen happens, but initiating a situation when you know there is a problem possible is not good judgement.

Why bother having spare parts, tools, extra food, water, supplies,... "Poor planning on your part, should not constitute an emergency for someone else."
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

Obviously having situational awareness regarding the weather is incredibly important. I've been underway on beautiful clear days, and (thankfully) I watched storm cells pop up on my chartplotter (Sirius weather), and took appropriate action.

On the road, you can't predict what's gonna happen, especially in the rapidly changing spring and summer months. All one can do is keep the best eye out on the conditions, listen to whatever local forecasts you can pick up, and watch the oncoming traffic for clues.

Saying ""knowing when it's time" is Too Late." is not helpful. It may be true, but in many cases, it can't be helped - especially when travelling.

My advice is to use whatever tools you may have to keep abreast of the conditions, and take action as early as you can to remain safe.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #10

The comment I made about "knowing when it's time" was in fact referring to situational awareness. I should have articulated my response better. As previously stated, weather may be perfect when starting out but may turn ugly as the day progresses. While it does rarely occur, severe wind condition build (barring a rogue gust which little can be done other than having a well balanced and properly equipped unit). You generally get some kind of warning, such as building winds, rain, etc. before severe gusts occur. Sorry about the confusion.
Rusty
lcv800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

I've managed 35mph cross winds (Gust, not steady) it's an experience but my WDH did a fantastic job of containing it. With a steady wind, I would be hesitant with above 35mph if I had considerable distance to travel and if it was absolutely necessary to travel, I'd drop my speed considerably.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote