Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

sideview cameras fogging

Every time we travel for more than an hour both side view cameras fog up. It becomes impossible to see anything. They are sealed so they can't be opened. What can I do?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
Happily Retired Member

On my 378 XL the side cameras get a glair from like the sun and they are almost useless at times

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #3

My right side camera was fogging up for two years off and on. If you look at the camera lens there might condensation inside of the camera causing the foggy view. I got lucky and mine has not fogged up this past year. I called the company and the cameras are only under warranty for 1 year. My replacement camera was $100 to buy. If it goes bad again, I am going to get it. There is a terrible blind spot on the right side.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've had the same problem on my 2013 351DS since I purchased it new. Sometimes I can drive for hours with no problems and other times they'll fog within 30 minutes of starting. It seems to depend on outside air temperature and how much engine heat is being produced. The problem is moisture inside the camera that becomes heated since the cameras are mounted on the sides of the engine compartment. Long stretches of driving on relatively flat roads cause less downshifting and less engine heat while driving on hilly terrain causes more downshifting and higher engine temps which seems to make the fogging worse. I've had both cameras replaced twice and still have the same problem. My dealer also removed the cameras and placed them in rice for a week to try and draw the moisture from inside the camera housing but the problem remained. I've also tried adding extra insulation taped to the inside of the engine housing over the camera area and still no luck. It happens to some and not to others but my dealer keeps bags of rice on hand just in case it might help. The dealer says they're just cheap cameras. Unfortunately, Forest River has been no help and the last time I spoke with them, they denied they had ever heard of such an issue. Search this forum and you'll find several other people that disagree. Sorry for the negative response but that's been my experience. You might give the rice a try. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #5

I'm with jpow -- but I live in FL and it doesn't matter what the temperature or time of day... 30 minutes of driving and the cameras are useless. I have heard (on this forum) that some have been able take them off and completely seal them and that worked. Problem is... I just don't know how to get the darn things off. I'm afraid to actually break the cover trying to get the camera off.

RV is going back to the dealer in a couple weeks and this is one of the items on the hit list.

If anyone from FR believes this isn't happening, come on down, I'll take you for a ride -- and I know there are lots of others out there that say the same thing.

What a POS.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

I'm with jpow -- but I live in FL and it doesn't matter what the temperature or time of day... 30 minutes of driving and the cameras are useless. I have heard (on this forum) that some have been able take them off and completely seal them and that worked. Problem is... I just don't know how to get the darn things off. I'm afraid to actually break the cover trying to get the camera off.

RV is going back to the dealer in a couple weeks and this is one of the items on the hit list.

If anyone from FR believes this isn't happening, come on down, I'll take you for a ride -- and I know there are lots of others out there that say the same thing.

What a POS.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #7

no solution

Thanks for your replies. I guess this is just another case of poor product choice and no support for the problem!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

I currently don't have this problem, but if you could open the camera housing and add a desiccant like found in pill bottles or electronics, it might help.

Dave

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta