Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Question Single homemade bed using cockpit seats

I had this vision (no drugs were used in this hypothesis)

It could be adapted to a Georgetown or FR3 cockpit, or any Class A gas motorhome.

Picture the front pilot and co-pilot seats either facing forward, or facing each other for this idea. Then picture a plywood platform (not sure what thickness) spanning the width of the motorhome using the two seats. It should be at least 24” wide, wider would be better if space allows. Then an air mattress or foam mattress on top. Finally a sleeping bag and pillow. I picture the person would sleep across the motorhome with their feet at the driver’s side because of the proximity to the steering wheel. Tilt steering upwards allows more room.
This platform might be a solid one piece length of plywood, or be designed with a hinge to allow it to be folded in half for storage. Either way, when not in use, this platform could be stored in the central cargo area underneath, where there’s a pass through across the drive shaft.

The final design needs some form of central brace under the platform, to support the person’s weight when sitting on and sleeping on this bed. It would have to take into consideration the doghouse cover in this area for its footing to spread the weight.

Anyone see a need for an additional sleeping location when the original Class A was not equipped with a drop down overhead bed in the cockpit, like my 2010 model year Georgetown?

Just thinking out loud here.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

depending on the weight of your sleeper you might want to look at this idea too.

Black-ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

Thumbs up Converted Cot

KenandTerry,

We something similar for our 2000 Georgetown. Converted a cot like this...

to fit across the front seats. Had to cut the center legs to fit the doghouse and modified a couple of 4x4 blocks for the cut ends of the legs to sit on for the correct height and to protect the doghouse carpet. Has worked well for us, my teenage son has spent about 20 nights on the cot over the last year.

Travis
Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-ripley View Post
depending on the weight of your sleeper you might want to look at this idea too.

Thanks or submitting your version but Class A motorhomes don’t have passenger doors on either side of the vehicle to suspend the bed frame like you have in the Volkswagen.
Great idea for those that can.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 05-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I had this vision (no drugs were used in this hypothesis)

It could be adapted to a Georgetown or FR3 cockpit, or any Class A gas motorhome.

Picture the front pilot and co-pilot seats either facing forward, or facing each other for this idea. Then picture a plywood platform (not sure what thickness) spanning the width of the motorhome using the two seats. It should be at least 24” wide, wider would be better if space allows. Then an air mattress or foam mattress on top. Finally a sleeping bag and pillow. I picture the person would sleep across the motorhome with their feet at the driver’s side because of the proximity to the steering wheel. Tilt steering upwards allows more room.
This platform might be a solid one piece length of plywood, or be designed with a hinge to allow it to be folded in half for storage. Either way, when not in use, this platform could be stored in the central cargo area underneath, where there’s a pass through across the drive shaft.

The final design needs some form of central brace under the platform, to support the person’s weight when sitting on and sleeping on this bed. It would have to take into consideration the doghouse cover in this area for its footing to spread the weight.

Anyone see a need for an additional sleeping location when the original Class A was not equipped with a drop down overhead bed in the cockpit, like my 2010 model year Georgetown?

Just thinking out loud here.
Funny you mentioned this
We just started doing this last July 2018
Needed one more spot for young one to sleep
It works great and we store the platform under
one of our bunk beds when not in use.
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
Funny you mentioned this
We just started doing this last July 2018
Needed one more spot for young one to sleep
It works great and we store the platform under
one of our bunk beds when not in use.
Great minds think alike.

Any details you can provide on your setup? What thickness and composition of platform? What position are your front seats? What kind (if any) central support to distribute the weight? Any other secrets? Pictures are always best.

Ken and Terry
Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Great minds think alike.

Any details you can provide on your setup? What thickness and composition of platform? What position are your front seats? What kind (if any) central support to distribute the weight? Any other secrets? Pictures are always best.
Check Pinterest and YouTube. Many similar configurations ..
360true is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed