Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #1

Sirius Ready Radio

Greetings,

First let me say that I have only been a member of this forum for about a week, and already have gotten a lot of great info from all the members, and for that I thank you all. Before I traded for the Georgetown 330, I had a Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel that we liked, and I was a member of the Heartland owners forum. They folks on that site were great to help you anyway they could, and so far this site has done the same, so thank you all for that.
Now for my question. I noticed yesterday that the dash radio was Sirius Ready for sat radio. What do I need to add to get this radio where I can listen to Sirius Radio? I have Sirius in my Jeep already, and can add this to my account for around 9 bucks amonth more. But I don't know what I need to get it ready to use. Anyone know or can guide me to where I can find this info?
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyGeorgetown330TS View Post
Greetings,

First let me say that I have only been a member of this forum for about a week, and already have gotten a lot of great info from all the members, and for that I thank you all. Before I traded for the Georgetown 330, I had a Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel that we liked, and I was a member of the Heartland owners forum. They folks on that site were great to help you anyway they could, and so far this site has done the same, so thank you all for that.
Now for my question. I noticed yesterday that the dash radio was Sirius Ready for sat radio. What do I need to add to get this radio where I can listen to Sirius Radio? I have Sirius in my Jeep already, and can add this to my account for around 9 bucks amonth more. But I don't know what I need to get it ready to use. Anyone know or can guide me to where I can find this info?
Does your unit have the little, I'll call it a puck type antenna for Sirius? My original radio did not have the Sirius feature but the replacement did. I know mine does not have the puck antenna like my car. If there's no puck then finding a place to mount one may be a bit difficult. I'd check for the puck and refer to the paperwork with the radio to see how they show the connections. Is this the unit you have? This is what they used to replace my origianl radio when it fried.

http://www.magnadyne.com/MagPublic/P...9900CDS-UM.pdf

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #3

I have XM radio and i have a unit i have to take with me to pick sat radio and my camper has a place to put this unit in also have a boom box that i can put it in but need this unit to work and pay monthly fee also welcome to the forum if i havent said so earlier
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I found this on the website for the radio. This is the antenna they show in the manual.

http://www.magnadyne.com/index.cfm?M...Web_CatID=4263

and

Hope this helps.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #5

I have xm in my GMC Acadia so I bought a small receiver for the motor home. It worked fine even though the radio said it was Sirius ready. It came with an antenna that some have referred to as a 'puck antenna'. If you have the same Jensen unit that I have, there are auxiliary cables with RCA connectors coming out of the back of the unit that you can plug the receiver into. I just put the antenna on the front dash and it worked pretty well- not perfectly since it needs to have a line of sight to the satellite. I found that since we didn't use the motor home for several months over the winter and not every day (like we use the Acadia) that paying $7/month for the service was a waste, so I just bought an Ipod which I plug into the same aux input on the radio.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyGeorgetown330TS View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Usually "Sirius Ready" means that you will need to find a Sirius receiver unit which will plug into the head unit. The receiver is a small box about 8" square and it connects to the head unit with a cable in much the same way you would connect a remote CD carousel. The antenna for the satellite will connect to this box. I found mine online somewhere years ago for my Jeep but have since discontinued the service as it is unreliable out here on the west coast. Those of you on the eastern side of the US have it good with the satellite radio. Look through the documentation for your head unit and it should list Sirius receiver units that will work with it, or contact Sirius for help.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Here's the unit they show on the Magnadyne site if your unit is the M9900CDS.

http://www.magnadyne.com/index.cfm?M...&InvMasID=9922

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #8

$59 from here
http://www.cruisingforremotes.com/Pr...&method=Browse

I have not bought from them.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
$59 from here
http://www.cruisingforremotes.com/Pr...&method=Browse

I have not bought from them.
You still have to be sure that the head unit has the receiver built in. Just because they say "Sirius Ready" does not mean that you can just by the antenna and connect it. In many cases you still need the receiver box for the Sirius which plugs into the head unit.

Make sure of what you need before you spend money. If you need a receiver unit then it will come with the antenna. The link Charlie provided above is exactly what I am talking about.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #10

Ok guys, I have been studing the owners manual and web site for Magnadyne and my stereo is a mdl M1-CD. The book does not state what Sirius rec. to use. I bet the connection in the back of the stereo would not be different. But I have emailed Magnadyne to ask what I need.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Here is the Sirius Tuner for the M-1 but that's the only thing I managed to find. I didn't see the Unit you have on their site. Sorry!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #12

Thanks Charlie,
I did find my unit on the web site, but they did not have any info on which model I need.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #13

I had to do the same thing except mine was a jensen , I found the box on ebay and the ant, and cable at Best Buy, good luck
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We had the same issue with Sirius on our Itasca. It was Sirius ready, but noone could tell us how to hook it up or what was needed. I just took my mobile Sirius radio from my car and put it in the Itasca. I ran the antenna wire out the window up to the puck antenna on the roof. To get the antenna to stay on the roof I got Velcro tape and velcroed the antenna to the roof. There is very little metal on the roof for the antenna to attach to, so the Velcro worked like a charm. I would imagine I'll do the same thing on our Berkshire when it arrives.
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We had the same issue with Sirius on our Itasca. It was Sirius ready, but noone could tell us how to hook it up or what was needed. I just took my mobile Sirius radio from my car and put it in the Itasca. I ran the antenna wire out the window up to the puck antenna on the roof. To get the antenna to stay on the roof I got Velcro tape and velcroed the antenna to the roof. There is very little metal on the roof for the antenna to attach to, so the Velcro worked like a charm. I would imagine I'll do the same thing on our Berkshire when it arrives.
Many of the Winnebago RVs we have seen that do come with the satellite radio have the antenna on the dash down near the windshield in front of the driver. As the front cap on RVs is fiberglass and the satelite signals can pass through it, they seem to work just fine there. Many Jeepers put theirs on top of the roll cage bar but under the fiberglass hard top.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #16

Sirius Ready

I recently purchased a 2010 337 and am thrilled with it. It came with a Sirius ready radio which I was something I really wanted when I bought the RV. I already have Sirius in my Jeep and wanted it in the RV as well. I thought all I would have to do was activate it. I was wrong. It needed a tuner and antenna. I talked to the dealer and they wanted $700.00 for the tuner and antenna and installation. I about passed out. So after venting my frustration I went to BestBuy and bought a tuner for $69.00 and they installed it and we used the puck antenna that came with it on the front of the dash board next to the windshield for $35.00. I works great! So I figured I save almost $600.00 and have Sirius.
RLFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #17

Satellite radio is great. I use a Garmin 376C GPS that has an xm tuner and antenna built in for mine and just feed it into the front mp3 input. It also gets XM weather so I can watch the storms rolling through on radar. Everyone wonders how I know exactly when to go inside
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote