Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Slam lock doors not locked

Locked my slam lock storage door and gave it a good tug. Guess what, the "locked" door opened. So I checked all the other slam lock doors after locking them, gave a tug and every door opened while locked! I climbed through the pass through storage compartment to see the backside of the lock mechanism while closed and locked and saw it was only catching partially. The latch needed to be raised about a quarter inch in order to full extend and catch. They work properly now. It was a quick fix but do yourself a favor and check yours to be sure a hard tug doesn't open them. I'll take pics later to show what I'm describing.
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Had to adjust a couple of mine. Easy fix and not worth going back to the dealer for unless you are totally tool challenged. Lol
Old 03-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Another way to test this is driving down the road and look back in your mirrors. Don't ask how I know this.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Another way to test this is driving down the road and look back in your mirrors. Don't ask how I know this.

Lol, I wish I didn't know but I do!! Not only did two Hatch doors open on me while on my test drive but the stairs sensor had to be tweaked so the stairs were going in and out during the entire test drive!!!! Talk about stressful.....
Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #5

Our first trip out a guy followed me into Walmart parking lot to tell me my right front compartment was open.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #6

Ok, I spoke too soon. It wasn't such a quick fix. There is too much "play" on the handle even when locked so the bolt retracts slightly enough to fail if tugged on with any force. I'd suspect most don't realize their doors are not locked. I'll be on the phone tomorrow to inform them of this issue. The attached photo is from the backside of the lock. I crawled through the pass through storage compartment to take a look at the catch. It clearly sets correctly with enough of the bolt to secure the door. The problem is the "play" in the locked handle which retracts the bolt as described above.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459128879.791223.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	103075
Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #7

Have not had that problem. I checked all of mine and you can tug on them as hard as you want and they won't open. You might just have a bad set of locks.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
Have not had that problem. I checked all of mine and you can tug on them as hard as you want and they won't open. You might just have a bad set of locks.

I hope your right "George". I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone to check and make sure. I called my dealer and they are contacting Forest River to see if it is wide spread or just a bad batch. I'll keep you posted.......
Old 03-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Site Team

I had the same problem with my slam locks. I had read about others putting an o-ring under the catch to lift it up enough to fix the problem but that didn't work for me.

I ended up putting a regular door catch plate on top of the existing catch and that finally fixed my problem. I had to drill a second hole in it to get it to line up with the existing screws though.

I used something similair to this:
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

Slam lock doors not locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I had the same problem with my slam locks. I had read about others putting an o-ring under the catch to lift it up enough to fix the problem but that didn't work for me.

I ended up putting a regular door catch plate on top of the existing catch and that finally fixed my problem. I had to drill a second hole in it to get it to line up with the existing screws though.

I used something similair to this:

Would you mind posting a pic please. I'm not sure how I would attached that to the "bolt catch" on mine.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Shim the striker up.....couple of small washers work just fine..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Shim the striker up.....couple of small washers work just fine..
No, that's what I initially did but that doesn't fix the bolt retracting issue. The bolt retracts slightly when taking up "slack play" on handle when its locked. The bolt sits properly extended as my earlier pic shows. It is when you take up the slack in handle where the bolt retracts just enough to pull door open with a hard tug. A casual check will make you think the door is locked. I wonder is there is a way to post a video clip?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Then it has to be the handle.....mine, when locked have no movement. But, mine are metal and I installed them....Lippert brand, found 'em on Amazon
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
Would you mind posting a pic please. I'm not sure how I would attached that to the "bolt catch" on mine.
I don't actually have any pictures and I won't be anywhere near my trailer for another week. I'll try to explain it using pics I can find on google.

My door looks similar to this:

That catch that's at the bottom left of the pic. I took the screws out of it, put the catch plate on top of the catch that was already there, then put the screws back in.

I had the same "play" in my latches that you are describing.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Ok, I spoke too soon. It wasn't such a quick fix. There is too much "play" on the handle even when locked so the bolt retracts slightly enough to fail if tugged on with any force. I'd suspect most don't realize their doors are not locked. I'll be on the phone tomorrow to inform them of this issue. The attached photo is from the backside of the lock. I crawled through the pass through storage compartment to take a look at the catch. It clearly sets correctly with enough of the bolt to secure the door. The problem is the "play" in the locked handle which retracts the bolt as described above.
Attachment 103075
I'm too claustrophobic to crawl into my storage compartment but if the system is as you describe I guess there's really no fear of getting locked in there.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Locked my slam lock storage door and gave it a good tug. Guess what, the "locked" door opened. So I checked all the other slam lock doors after locking them, gave a tug and every door opened while locked! I climbed through the pass through storage compartment to see the backside of the lock mechanism while closed and locked and saw it was only catching partially. The latch needed to be raised about a quarter inch in order to full extend and catch. They work properly now. It was a quick fix but do yourself a favor and check yours to be sure a hard tug doesn't open them. I'll take pics later to show what I'm describing.
Had the same issue pre-delivery, dealer fixed it by adjusting the body side catch.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door