Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
BJ

Slide and leveler jack oil leak

Have a 2010 350TS. Orange/ red hoses were blistered. FR (Mr. Armstrong) approved replacement. Since replaced I have a new oil leak at the electric motor.
Dealer advises it is not covered and had nothing to do with replacing hoses.now I'm going to have to pay $1,000 to have electric motor replaced. Dealer says that FR says the electric motor is a dry motor and if oil is passing through it, it will eventually fail.
Many one else have this issue.
Suggestions.
Bjs306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

I have also discovered this problem with mine recently, and apparently it is common on these Lippert pumps. There is a seal on the hydraulic pump that goes bad and the fluid leaks the only place it can go, through the motor. It's not much fluid, but eventually, the motor will foul up. The seal can be replaced and you can clean the motor up if it's still working.

See this thread for instructions.

I'm trying to avoid doing mine until this fall, so I put a washer between the motor and the pump, hoping it will just drip before reaching the motor avoiding any further damage. You might also want to take off the cover off the end of the motor, the one with the rubber plug that gives you access to the emergency turn nut. Fluid will leak out the screw holes instead of building up inside.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson
I have also discovered this problem with mine recently, and apparently it is common on these Lippert pumps. There is a seal on the hydraulic pump that goes bad and the fluid leaks the only place it can go, through the motor. It's not much fluid, but eventually, the motor will foul up. The seal can be replaced and you can clean the motor up if it's still working.

See this thread for instructions.

I'm trying to avoid doing mine until this fall, so I put a washer between the motor and the pump, hoping it will just drip before reaching the motor avoiding any further damage. You might also want to take off the cover off the end of the motor, the one with the rubber plug that gives you access to the emergency turn nut. Fluid will leak out the screw holes instead of building up inside.
This is easily one of the best tech repair Item I've read on this forum. This repair can easily save a Lippert pump owner upwards of one thousand bucks if done soon after a leak is discovered. Author did a great job of cleaning and photos with good description of steps. Lippert claims pump is not repairable!

Case you ever need it, the solenoid and connector on the side of the pump body is the reverser for this model, the older pump was reversible to change fluid flow. In mine the power to this coil shorted caused all jacks and slides to full extension.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjs306
Have a 2010 350TS. Orange/ red hoses were blistered. FR (Mr. Armstrong) approved replacement. Since replaced I have a new oil leak at the electric motor.
Dealer advises it is not covered and had nothing to do with replacing hoses.now I'm going to have to pay $1,000 to have electric motor replaced. Dealer says that FR says the electric motor is a dry motor and if oil is passing through it, it will eventually fail.
Suggestions.
See posts below about Lippert pumps. Many pool filter motors are immersed in oil and probably more industrial transformers are immeresed in oil, sump pump motors etc. The motor is salvageable! The last price I read was closer to $1300.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

This is the motor for my unit from Lippert. I know they try to sell the complete hydraulic pump as well. Really just the seal needs to be changed.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjs306 View Post
Suggestions.
I don't have my manual with me, but I believe the Lippert jack/slide components have either a 3 year or 5 year warranty through Lippert. Try calling Lippert directly.