Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Slide Cracked!

Noticed water under the dinette bench today. Mind you this is our 1st big trip and my 369XL is only 3 months old. Investigated further since we are about a month into our 1st trip and found this on the underside of the super slide. I've emailed the Warranty Rep. but I wonder if anyone has had this happen or seen it on anyone else's coach. When we 1st took delivery we noticed a small rust spot on the flooring where the slide roller came in and cleaned it up thinking is was from sitting on the dealer's lot for some time. I'm thinking the whole slide will need to be replaced and yes, that's a crack!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	220511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	220512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	220513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	220514  
Ohmygodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
NXR

Is the crack in the floor itself?

Does it look like the floor above the roller is pushed in at all or is the bottom panel "just" cracked? In other words, do you see any deformation in the floor bottom?

FR has steel reinforcement plates that fasten to the bottom that the rollers run on instead of the slide bottom. I had to have them installed on my GED slides. The slide does not need to be removed to install them. It just gets lifted enough to get the plates slid in.

My slide bottom was just gouged, though, not cracked.

I'm watching the bottom of my other two slides to see if any depressions develop. If so I'll get the other slides done as well.

Ray
Old 12-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Is the crack in the floor itself?

Does it look like the floor above the roller is pushed in at all or is the bottom panel "just" cracked? In other words, do you see any deformation in the floor bottom?

FR has steel reinforcement plates that fasten to the bottom that the rollers run on instead of the slide bottom. I had to have them installed on my GED slides. The slide does not need to be removed to install them. It just gets lifted enough to get the plates slid in.

My slide bottom was just gouged, though, not cracked.

I'm watching the bottom of my other two slides to see if any depressions develop. If so I'll get the other slides done as well.

Ray

Make them replace it or you’ll end up in my boat. Check it out on the georgetown forum
jacked250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #4

This seems to be a common issue. Mine has the stainless plates installed when it was a year old under warranty. I don't see any damage. Yours looks real bad for only 3 months!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:36 AM   #5

It has a crack on the underside. It thought the metal was aluminum, but it's obviously rusting, so it must be steel? The water causing the rust was noticed under the dinette bench right above. It has already started warping the flooring. To fix the damage the rust and water is obviously going to be excessive and I can't see any way they could do it other than remove the slide. We are a month into a 3 month trip and I am waiting for the Rep's reply to find out what I can do to minimize further damage and bring it back to Elkhart in April. I'm sure Georgetown will fix it correctly. When we were there last month, they had several in, one in the actual factory not the repair shop getting major repair. NXR (Ray) was this plate repair on your previous rig? I know you just bought your new rig?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
NXR (Ray) was this plate repair on your previous rig? I know you just bought your new rig?
The new one. The details are here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-188552.html

One of the fixes FR came up with for the gouges was to install the plates. That really wasn't the area where the gouges were but I'm happy to have them.

I still have the problem where the bed slide lifts off the rear-most roller when it's within 15" of closed and that will probably take a factory trip to resolve; I don't know what I'm going to do about it yet. The slide now runs fine with no evidence of binding but the weight coming off the roller means the weight is transferring somewhere else it should not be. I'm concerned about some long-term impact.

I agree, the bottoms of my six month-old slides still look pristine white, nothing like yours. I'd ask FR about sealing that crack up temporarily.

Do you have any idea how the water is even getting in? Is there any piping in that slide?

Ray
Old 12-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

My bed slide lifts also.

I have noticed it since we purchased. I have no carpet in mine and it seems to do it as intended with no extra drag for the last foot or so coming in. I have no issues with the bed slide.
I think I may have found the water entrance. The top of the seal on the front side of the side seal was hanging up and allowing water to enter for the top 10 inches or so. Because of the amount of rust, I have no doubt this has been going on since the dealers lot. This explains why we found a small rust spot on the floor the first time we extended the slide. The water damage is done now and I will be taking it back to Elkhart for what I think should be a slide replacement and new seals. I'm going to speak with the warranty manager tomorrow about mitigating any further damage until I can get it back there and yes ,I want a recommendation on a temporary seal in that crack. I appreciate you sharing your experience because it signals the best way to avoid small problems from becoming big problems!
Old 12-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #8

My new 2019 30x3 leaked water on the floor the first time it rained. I couldn’t tell where from. I’ll check underneath!

Have 11 months on warranty.

Rain is rare where I live, and machine is benched for the next several months so won’t have additional info for several months.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, slide