Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Slide just clicks and doesn't move

I just got my 2014 351 back from the service center, parked it, and tried to open the slides. The rear slide went out with no problem. The front slide went out a foot and started clicking loudly. I reversed it and it went back in and started clicking. Has anyone run into this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Preadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preadus View Post
I just got my 2014 351 back from the service center, parked it, and tried to open the slides. The rear slide went out with no problem. The front slide went out a foot and started clicking loudly. I reversed it and it went back in and started clicking. Has anyone run into this before?

You don't mention if slides are hydraulic or electric? Engine running when testing? Batteries fully charged? To me sounds like its low voltage to the pump or motors.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:17 AM   #3

Sounds like what I had happen on our living room slide. If you remove the panel that covers the motor and cable assembly (this is the panel just below the ceiling that has three or four tabs that hide the screws) you will see two cable connectors marked in and out. They should both be in the upright position as they pass each other when the cable is sliding out. On mine the lock nuts on one had become loose allowing it to turn horizontal causing them to hit instead of passing each other when the slide is moving. Sounds complicated but if you remove that panel and watch the cables as you run the slide out you will see what I am describing. Easy fix. I turned the loose connector to the vertical position and tightened the lock nuts. Have been meaning to go back and put on some lock tight but haven't yet. Attached pic shows the connector in the twisted position before I straightened it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	61834  

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

Boy that looks like controls from a RC car! I was close... Loose connector = low voltage.

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

I pulled all of that trim off to get to the cables like that, but my cables are straight and actually do not pass each other. The strange thing is that the slide moves about two inches out from the fully closed position then starts clicking loudly on the far right side. Then I retract it and when it gets to the closed position it clicks loudly from the far left side. I was thinking it could be a stripped gear in the gear box, but that is not where it clicks from as far as I can tell.
The service center was working on a problem that I was having where the linoleum would start floating up when I had an open window on the road. I wonder if they may have screwed something together which is jamming the slide.
Last time it took me 45 days just to get my RV in the shop then it took them 3 months to fix the list of things I had. The people there are nice enough, I just am amazed at how back logged they are.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Does sound like something may be stuck in there unless one of the cables has come off one of the pulleys. If that is the case you gotta wonder what caused it. As you can see there isn't much to that system except the motor, cables, and pulleys. Those two connectors should be moving and passing each other as the slide travels out and in
That's a shame they cant get it checked out quickly since they just had it in the shop. Be sure to post what the problem ends up being as I'm curious as to what could be causing that. Was hoping those cable connectors would be an easy fix for you.

Charleston SC
Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

I talked to the service department. They said that the gearbox for the front slide has been going out on most of the RV's. It is not recalled, but they have to replace them all the time. I dropped the RV off for them to fix it. Hopefully it won't take too long. I will let post again if that was for sure the problem.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Slide just clicks and doesn't move

Update:
The problem was as diagnosed by the dealer. The gear in the slide out was broken and had to be replaced.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #9

Thanks for the update. Something to watch out for.

Charleston SC
Old 10-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #10

Electric Rack and pinion slide? Has a pastic on metal gear. The plastic will strip if something binds. Over time the plastic gear will get brittle and strip. I ordered one on Internet for $80 and replaced myself.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Site Team

Yeah. My brother's kz sportsmen has done that twice. Two of us will push on the slide while one holds the button down. Makes for some good teasing when we camp together.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Yeah. My brother's kz sportsmen has done that twice. Two of us will push on the slide while one holds the button down. Makes for some good teasing when we camp together.
I do that too! I have the kids push the slides in to make life easier on the motor, and yes it looks funny, but I really believe it helps the longevity of the motors, gears, etc...

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide