Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Slide Roller Lube - What are you using

I've posted a question regarding my slide rocking (or jerking) while opening a few weeks ago. In search of solution, I've adjusted cables but did not improve the issue.

Finally, I've noticed that some wax build up from Pledge furniture wax that I sprayed while ago actually became very sticky. A while ago the GT dealer recommended Pledge as a lube solution for slide.

Anyway, remove the thin layer of the sticky wax with wax remover and lubed with heavy silicon spray which fix the jerking issue right away but it seems That the silicone spray does not last long.

What are you using to lube the rollers and slide surfaces?

Thanks
Narkomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkomed View Post
I've posted a question regarding my slide rocking (or jerking) while opening a few weeks ago. In search of solution, I've adjusted cables but did not improve the issue.

Finally, I've noticed that some wax build up from Pledge furniture wax that I sprayed while ago actually became very sticky. A while ago the GT dealer recommended Pledge as a lube solution for slide.

Anyway, remove the thin layer of the sticky wax with wax remover and lubed with heavy silicon spray which fix the jerking issue right away but it seems That the silicone spray does not last long.

What are you using to lube the rollers and slide surfaces?

Thanks

Have no idea what unit you have that has slide rollers, my older (2011) 378 has nylon skid wedges. BUT the silicone is a good way to go.RVs require a lot of maintenance for things like that. Any grease type product could get on the bottom on the slide and drop on the interior floor with the slides in and you don't want that. I bought a spray can of Slide Lube from camping world and looking at the ingredients it is just a can of silicone at a higher price.
Good luck on it and Safe Travels.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Have no idea what unit you have that has slide rollers, my older (2011) 378 has nylon skid wedges. BUT the silicone is a good way to go.RVs require a lot of maintenance for things like that. Any grease type product could get on the bottom on the slide and drop on the interior floor with the slides in and you don't want that. I bought a spray can of Slide Lube from camping world and looking at the ingredients it is just a can of silicone at a higher price.
Good luck on it and Safe Travels.
I have 2015 GT 270S. It seems Silicone only last 1 or 2 in and out cycle
Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkomed View Post
I have 2015 GT 270S. It seems Silicone only last 1 or 2 in and out cycle

Rollers, that's nice, new stuff. Of course the nylon has worked nice and doesn't need a lube. On my old unit I tried white lithium grease. It held up about 3 to 4 months, which is a lot of slides in and out when your traveling almost daily. It did not drip and worked for us.

Safe Travels
Old 08-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Rollers, that's nice, new stuff. Of course the nylon has worked nice and doesn't need a lube. On my old unit I tried white lithium grease. It held up about 3 to 4 months, which is a lot of slides in and out when your traveling almost daily. It did not drip and worked for us.

Safe Travels
IMHO, I don't think I like the rollers. one of the roller already made dent on the bottom surface of the slide. I guess, round object against flat surface can create high pressure. One roller that is partially touching the surface is making rattling noise while driving. In the end the slide is jerky due to bindings even with rollers.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
Always Learning

CRC Power Lube with PTFE - amazon link

And, after having issues with my Schwintek slides (which sound different than what you have since you mentioned cables), I had aluminum runners added to the underside of my slides.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Glad we have the nylon skid wedges, no bind, no squeak, no muss, no fuss. Who says old isn't better.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

I have tried many different types of lubes for my slides.
Found the best is still the silicone spray/slide lube you can buy
It doesn't last that long, but does the best job IMHO.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #9

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
CRC Power Lube with PTFE - amazon link

And, after having issues with my Schwintek slides (which sound different than what you have since you mentioned cables), I had aluminum runners added to the underside of my slides.
"Awesome" addition - Question, how did you attach the interior end of the runners ??

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
"Awesome" addition - Question, how did you attach the interior end of the runners ??
I agree. I would like to know also. What size aluminum did you use?
Thanks
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk37r View Post
I agree. I would like to know also. What size aluminum did you use?
Thanks
Swintek only on my bedroom slide. I bought .080 12" x 24" aluminum from Home Depot. Cut it 6" wide with a box cutter. Takes three to four passes and then when bent will separate. I used 3M heavy duty double faced tape. Added polyurethane adhesive between the rolls of tape and raised the slide with a board to slide it between the slide bottom and roller. Used a board slightly wider than the aluminum and wedged it against it to press the tape. Used screws down each side and far as I could go.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #12

Thanks. Have to make A trip to the depot. Does you slide seem to work any smoother?
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
Always Learning

I had it done at a repair shop, but it sounds like Tiggerdad covered it. I got the idea from folks at Lance who are doing it as a warranty repair. When I talked to them, they said it could be pretty thin- like 1/16". The runners are just slightly wider than the rollers themselves. And then the length is as long as the slide travels so that it stays on the roller.

Between adding the rollers and regularly lubing the Schwintek system, it seems much more smooth & solid than it used to be.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

Check your slide instructions. Most say "Do Not Lube".
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #15

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Swintek only on my bedroom slide. I bought .080 12" x 24" aluminum from Home Depot. Cut it 6" wide with a box cutter. Takes three to four passes and then when bent will separate. I used 3M heavy duty double faced tape. Added polyurethane adhesive between the rolls of tape and raised the slide with a board to slide it between the slide bottom and roller. Used a board slightly wider than the aluminum and wedged it against it to press the tape. Used screws down each side and far as I could go.
Thank You, also.

What did Dan "Elwood" Akroyd say, "This is glue. Strong Stuff."

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #16

RE: Slide Roller Lube - What are you using

Have not tried it but have heard good things about 3-In-One RV Care by the WD-40 Company.

https://www.3inone.com/

There is a short recent video on youtube by Average Campers' Adventures about it as well.

YellowBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #17

WD40 makes a spray silicone that has a folding nozzle that permanently holds the spray tube. It is really handy. I use silicone on my Schwintek system track and sometimes use a WD40 spray silicone gel on the gear of the motor.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #18

I think Lipit calls for a spray Lub w PTFE,,, which I think is Teflon !!!
I sprayed our tracks the other day with Dry Lube ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide