Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Slide trouble

Need help can't get slide back in it made a loud pop and then quit pulling in. Any help would be appreciated
Marine007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Please state with year and model number, which slide and what type of slide mechanism such as cable, hydraulic or track and pinion gear.
This information would help others with the same problem or others that have knowledge working with your type of system.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Marine007 is my son inlaw. We finally got it in. Its a 2015 Georgetown with cable slide mechanism. The cables need to be adjusted, also the fact that the temperature was around 7° this morning I believe caused it to bind due to close tolerance specs. As my daugter held in switch we were outside assisting it in.

Proper install at the factory is crucial in the operation of these systems. In my experience, it seems the lack of quality control at the plant is less than desirable.

Hopefully it can be adjusted properly by someone that knows what they're doing once they reach their destination. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
Marine007 is my son inlaw. We finally got it in. Its a 2015 Georgetown with cable slide mechanism. The cables need to be adjusted, also the fact that the temperature was around 7° this morning I believe caused it to bind due to close tolerance specs. As my daugter held in switch we were outside assisting it in.

Proper install at the factory is crucial in the operation of these systems. In my experience, it seems the lack of quality control at the plant is less than desirable.

Hopefully it can be adjusted properly by someone that knows what they're doing once they reach their destination. Thanks for the reply.
Thank you for the follow up. Glad you figured it out.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

I believe the cable system is a good idea but I also hear they need to be inspected and adjusted regularly.
Glad y'all got it in.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

Take the valence off above the slide and check the cable connectors. They have to travel past each other and can twist causing a loud "clunk" noise when they hit each other
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Take the valence off above the slide and check the cable connectors. They have to travel past each other and can twist causing a loud "clunk" noise when they hit each other
That's the first thing we did. Cables were fine but tight... very tight. We backed them off some. They'll need further adjustment by a qualified tech if one exsist lol..
Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #8

The similar happend to my GT270s, clicking noise followed by a loud pop. We had to manually push the slide in while holding the switch. My issue was striped gear in the gear box.
Narkomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

I had the same problem with my 270S. Luckily the slide quit when it was only one about an 1 or so out. Gears were stripped and fixed by the dealer under warranty.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhind View Post
I had the same problem with my 270S. Luckily the slide quit when it was only one about an 1 or so out. Gears were stripped and fixed by the dealer under warranty.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
Did they say what caused them to strip... ?? Narkomed??? What did they tell you..
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

No information on why it failed. Does make you worry when it will fail again. If it does, it back to the dealer again, but I will remove the trim and reinstall. Clearly a skill they lack from the dents they put in it.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
Old 01-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #12

My dealer sent me the part since they are a few states away. Actually, mine is out of warranty but they send me the part for free. I replaced my self and took me about 3 hours. The cable adjustment took longest since I've never done it before. According to the dealer, they never seen a similar failure. My speculation is that we were often holding the switch little longer (a couple of more seconds after slide comes to stop) to make sure the slide is sealed properly. When I read the manual, it says doing so may damage the system. Perhaps, it stressed the gears to the failure. Anyway. We are now extra careful when we operate the slide. We let go the switch soon as slide come to contact with main wall.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #13

That makes sense, not sure why they wouldn't put a pressure or stop switch in once it reached a certain point to stop that from happening. Once slide was in the wall switch would disconnect until it was pushed again going out. They could put a stop switch in out position too... at least thats what I think.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #14

It possible the failure was from ensuring the slide is in. My previous Motorhone had the same slide cable mechanism on 3 slides and never had an issue. I just have to be real careful in the future with this one.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #15

Thank you everyone and my father in law for the help we have made it to our destination and have dropped it off at a forest river service center for repair. I will post an update on what the actual problem was
Marine007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
I just had a similar problem. Last stop I hear a bang when it reached the full out position. When leaving it came in just fine. When I reached the ext destination I heard the "gear grinding" and it only moved an inch. Of course I came to this forum for advise. I thought maybe I could manually crank it out but can't find that spot. Maybe it's under the awning cover? Any other suggestions as I'm traveling for another few weeks and pretty sure I won't be able to get an appointment.

2026 Georgetown XL 369
Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoRandy View Post
I just had a similar problem. Last stop I hear a bang when it reached the full out position. When leaving it came in just fine. When I reached the ext destination I heard the "gear grinding" and it only moved an inch. Of course I came to this forum for advise. I thought maybe I could manually crank it out but can't find that spot. Maybe it's under the awning cover? Any other suggestions as I'm traveling for another few weeks and pretty sure I won't be able to get an appointment.

2026 Georgetown XL 369
Once the gear is striped, the manual crank will not work. Manual crank, only helps when the motor is inoperable. The manual crank is at the back of the motor which located at the top of the slide opening cut out of the wall. You will need an electric drill and adapter. The trim piece need to be removed and with slide in position, it is difficult to do.

We had the similar situation and decided to not to extend the slide for remainder of the trip. We were afraid that the slide would not come in which would a bigger issue.

When that happened to us, we were able to extend the slide by pushing the slide (both side of wall) from inside of the RV while someone is holding the slide switch on out position. It was 3 person operation. I only have to extend since I ended up replacing the motor assembly. I guess in order to retract the slide you would have to push the slide from outside.

Hope this helps
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Yes, that helps. I'll just keep it skinny till I can get it in.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #19

Here is the video of what my slide motor was doing. I took the assembly a part and found a gear has been stripped. actually all gears are metal. I was expecting to find cheap plastic gears.
Attached Files
Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #20

Are you guys talking electric slide motors?? Access to the motor near slide, etc., 0ur 378 is full hydraulic and the pump motor is under the unit near the steps. Only time we had problems was caused by manufacturing not securing the lock nut on the hydraulic cylinder, the adjustment nut backed off. Took about 5 minutes to readjust the slide rams for proper close clearances, all fine since, that's been 6 years.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide