Old 07-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

Smell with AC running

So I'm in getting things ready to go in our 2010 Georgetown 374, it's a hot day out so I turn on the AC. Not long after it starts to pretty much smell like the black water.... I have not even run any water, or been near the toilet area. And its not full either. does the AC unit maybe draw in air from a septic vent or something. Anyone ever have thus odd problem. It's kinda of stinky and I'm hoping the air isn't going to smell like this every time we use it. We just bought this unit in the fall.
Thanks

Old 07-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #2

Try changing the units filter and is it cooling.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #3

make sure that the toilet is holding water if there was no water in the toilet then it could have brought up some fumes from the black tank or the fumes from the gray tank. Insure that all sinks have had water run through them to insure that the p-traps have a barrier in them. This should stop the smell...
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 AM   #4

Is this the first time using it sincce fall? It may need airing out? Maybe moisture build up in vents? Being a 2010 this problem should have been addresed earlyer, like a vent problem. good luck
Old 07-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #5

We have used it a couple times and there was no smell from it. The AC is cooling. The toilet is holding water and there was no smell from the tank or sinks, toilet area... until I turned on the air then the entire motor home started to smell. it gradually got to be less but still there.
I will try changing the air filter for sure but I have a feeling it's something else going on.
Thanks for tips
Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Does the smell go away when the AC is off?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

Used to work for an A/C manufacturer. Had this issue with some units sold on the market.
One thing to remember is that the coil that makes your air cold has to have a good outlet for the condensation water when running. There is a pan that holds the water, and that pan can sometimes get clogged. This is the source of the water that drips off your roof when AC is running.
Anyway, if that pan is clogged, or if you parked your unit on a non-level place, old water can and does accumulate in that pan. It can get rancid, full of algae and fungus. When you turn on a unit after sitting, you will smell whatever is in that water or was growing in that pan.
My advice would be to go on the roof, take off the AC cover, and investigate if that pan has water in it or if it is clogged. If so, clean it out with bleach. While up there, check if the condenser coil (the big one you see at the back of the unit) is clean of debris.
And, following the advice of others, ensure the inside air filter is clean.
This should fix the problem.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Moodman is right....I was in the AC business for over 40 years. If the AC was sitting dormant for a while,,,stinky mildew might have overwhelmed the unit. A simple but incomplete fix is to spray Lysol or Bleach Spray while the unit has been running for about 10 minutes on the inlet after you remove the filter. Let the AC run a little bit for the coils to get wet,,,,then do the spray thing. If you're mechanically minded you can take the cover off the evaporator chamber,,,,,,and do what Moodman said. The evaporator chamber is where you'll discover the "other" coils that you don't normally see. Have some putty with you when you do it, because you're going to want to make sure the evaporator chamber cover is sealed well. Also.....when you take the filter off,,,,,look with a flashlight at the intake side of the evaporator coils,,,,those are the ones that get cold.....see if they're coated with crap. If so,,,,,they and the drainpan need to be cleaned up.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #9

This is great advice. It has sat fir a bit in the driveway, not so level, as well previous owners left it sitting as well. Will get hubby up on the top to make sure its all cleaned up, Moodman and Grampa Jim
Thanks to everyone,
Old 07-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #10

Be sure and look for dead critters in the A/C when you have the cover off. Mice and Wasp can get into anything>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>