Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Snowy picture - Tailgater

We purchased and installed a Tailgater with the 211k receiver. It works fine however the picture from the coax is snowy. I'm able to hook up a HDMI cable to the front TV and get a great picture. Can anybody suggest how to improve the coax reception or how to get a HDMI to the middle TV without drilling holes in cabinets to run the cable. We have a 2012 GT 360
Thanks for all you help
elfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #2

Have you changed the input to coax and not HDMI?
In the TV setup menu.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

When using Satelite TV, I didnt think coax could handle an HD signal from the receiver to the tv. I think it has to be HDMI (or component, VGA, DVI).

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

I have to look when I get home. I didn't know there was another option to set coax or HDMI on the TV.
I have the TV's on Ant/Cable, since I'm using the input from the electrical bay. I put the receiver between the cable input and the switch box and set the TVs on Cable/ant. On the front TV, which is next to the cabinet holding the receiver, switch box and DVD, I also ran a HDMI from the receiver to the TV and set the TV on HDMI and get a very sharp picture.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

I'm going to assume you've had good reception to the middle TV via ant/cable in the past. Make sure your middle TV is on channel 3 (or 4 depending on how it's set in the receiver's menu) and make sure your connections are tight. Keep in mind that your picture will only be in SD and you will have to watch the same programming on both TVs. If that doesn't help, you may want to bypass the switchbox.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

As a test we hooked up the receiver with a coax connection to an extra TV, same bad picture. I understand that coax does not provide the quality that HDMI would but I thought we should get a better picture than we do. I also by-passed the switch box same result. We also hooked up the satellite dish from the house to see if it was the Tailgater, same result. So I'm fairly sure it's the coax. I'm trying to find out if there is something like a coax booster, or find out where the coax runs and replace it with HDMI.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #7

they do have coax amplifiers but I'm sure someone on here must have had this same issue. Maybe wait for a few more replies before you order one

Amazon.com: 8-Port Bi-Directional Cable TV HDTV Amplifier Splitter Signal Booster with Passive Return: Electronics

You can usually get them locally at Radio shack, best buy, etc.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

I had a similar (snowy picture) problem with a second tv on my dish network VIP211k at home.

I was so frustrated, I had a service call. The tech set the receiver and tv to channel 4. Great picture.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Not sure what your coach's setup is like, but in hours there is a coax "aux" input that would feed the signal through a switchbox to the TVs. If I were to install a tailgater, I would run the coax cable to that input, turn off the amp, and switch the box aux. I would then turn the TV channel to the recommended channel and the picture should be perfect. If not, then there is a problem with the coax from the aux input to the TV. In our brand new coach I had all sorts of coax issues. I ended up buying high end connectors and a crimper and replaced the bad ones since they were not crimped correctly.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfi View Post
As a test we hooked up the receiver with a coax connection to an extra TV, same bad picture. I understand that coax does not provide the quality that HDMI would but I thought we should get a better picture than we do. I also by-passed the switch box same result. We also hooked up the satellite dish from the house to see if it was the Tailgater, same result. So I'm fairly sure it's the coax. I'm trying to find out if there is something like a coax booster, or find out where the coax runs and replace it with HDMI.
If you have a known working piece of coax cable connected from the coax output of your 211 receiver to a known working TV tuned to channel 3 or 4 (3 is the default setting on the receiver), then you should have a very acceptable picture (no snow). It will just be in standard def. It is possible that you have a defective receiver. I doubt that a booster will help.

It is also possible that you are getting interference from another source, such as a strong local TV station broadcasting on channel 3. Try switching to 4 on both the receiver and TV. You really don't have to have the Tailgater connected to do this. The receiver menus will still come up on the TV. If that doesn't help, I'd try another receiver. Do you have another 211 in the house?

If all else fails, try Dish Tech Support.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfi View Post
Before you rip everything apart would you please check both end of the coax. Specifically the back of the electrical compartment the coax to the interior is screwed into the back of the white plate. Check that coax to see if they left a thin later of clear plastic on the center copper wire. I had a similar problem when I bought my rig new and the center wire was not stripped all the stuff off of it.
You can do this on both ends of that coax inside at the switch too.

Let us know.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow