Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

So sure of a Canyon Star then saw the XL 369

This is my first post and thought if anyone could give me some input you could. I was sure I was going to buy the Canyon star 3710. Then I saw the Georgetown XL 369DS with Black Diamond package.

Although I'm wowed by the Black Diamond I don't know that much about Forest River or the Georgetown XL. I've looked at the brochure etc on the website and have seen some videos on the 369DS. That gives me all the sparkles, but what about fit and finish?

From what I've read Newmar Canyon Star and Tiffin Allegro seem to rule the roost in the top end gas motorhome market. I know that the engine and drivetrain are the same Ford units on all three coaches. And the Allegro and Georgetown are on the 24,000 classes the Canyon Star is 26,000

Where does the Georgetown XL fit into the marketplace? I've been told not to go on the Forest River forum for this question. I know we can all be bias but I also know I've never gone into a Ford dealer to get my Chevrolet information.

I'll be buying a new 2016 or 2017

Thank you in advance for your help.
H-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

It's the best but i'm biased.

Seriously though, a company is only as good as its last product, and they all keep improving. Brand quality is the mother of all debates and I will magnanimously settle the question once and for all:

They are all crap, especially when compared to the autmotive industry.

All of us have post delivery problems, regardless of the brand. I had 3 minor ones but I was listening to an RV podcast hosted by a couple who purchased a new 2014 Winnebago. You think that's a brand you can trust? Think again.

The poor couple had 50 issues, many very serious, costing them nearly a whole summer of camping. I even read about a couple that spent 900k on a Newmar coach that ended up flooding 3 days after delivery because Newmar used a cheap plumbing part. Yes the company stepped up but it took a lot prodding, and how do you think the couple felt about their recently waterlogged coach after it was repaired? Motorhomes may be made by different companies but they are all built in the same state, by the same workforce, using the same philosophy.

People tend to be brand snobs but when you go look for yourself, you will find as good or better finishings and more equipment in a Georgetown. I spent a lot of time looking hard and was ultimately convinced Georgetown was the best bang for the buck.

When shopping for a motorhome you need to start by evaluating your needs. Do you have kids? Grand kids? Friends? Retired? Try to imagine how you will use it. Weekends or longer excursions? Full service destinations or boon docking? Now make an equipment and feature list based on your identified needs. Ex: Tank capacity, how many bathrooms, etc. Follow that up with nice to haves such as solid surface counters, type of couch (fold out bed, cinema seating, whatever).

In our case I had 3 kids and wanted a bunkhouse model with two full bathrooms, I have one yearly 2 week trip and the rest are 2 to 4 day excursions. Of these, 50% of my destinations offer only water or nothing at all. My yearly trip usually involves a lot of driving so it was critical that the interior was spacious and FULLY functional (meaning accessible bathroom, working TV, etc.) while travelling.

Using my criteria, the first thing I did was look at model with the slides closed to see what my family could access while traveling. It took me all of 30 I seconds to eliminate anything with an L couch. Also be aware that your needs (or wants) will evolve as you look at models and see things you hadn't considered and that's ok. We can't think of everything and new designs come out all the time.

When shopping keep a tight reign on your emotions to avoid motivated reasoning. A shopper can sometimes fixate on a feature so hard that they lose sight of what they was important to them. Also be VERY mindful of the 'upscale package' trap.

Manufacturers differentiate models by using better dinettes, a few accessories, different tiles, or other upgrades that seriously jack up the price. Make a list of those extras and honestly evaluate what they are worth. In my case I found 4K worth of upgrades were being used to justify a 15K price difference.

And now the most important point:

Make sure your new coach it is on a 2016 F53 with a 6 speed transmission!

The 2016 transmission makes a huge livability difference, regardless of company and model. Do a few searches and you will see people rave about the difference.

Whatever you do, test drive the last few units on the list. I have heard MANY stories of people buying their dream RV only to drive it back to the dealer because they were too uncomfortable driving it. You may also find that comparable models drive very differently and that may sway your decision.

For your entertainment, I put in a few links from the self titled "RV Whisperer". He actually does a really good job of calling out features and he is quite funny too.

Georgetown 369XL

Here is the one I bought:

Georgetown 364TS

Good luck!
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Hi Mike,

That was such a great response, thank you so much! My wife and I were watching the video on the 369. When the door was opened in the master to the washer and dryer my wife says "can you get a stackable washer and dryer in there?

I sent an email to Forest River and they said "Nope, Combo only"! That was really a kick in the hind quarters. We want a stackable and the Combo will just not work for us.

Sorry I wasted your time, we should have looked more closely in the first place!

Your response was most appreciated!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

H-Man, my pleasure. I prefer a combo because I throw it in when we leave in the morning and it's done when we come back.

I love the idea of not having to babysit or run around to switch the load.

Why do you want a stacked so much?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

Hi Mike,

A few years ago we were between houses and had to spend a couple months in an apartment. The apartment had, you guessed it, a combo. My wife is a Christian lady but I don't think I ever saw her come so close to profanity!

Its just the two of us but she hated how little could be put in the combo and how long it took to full cycle. She was a very unhappy camper and we weren't even camping yet.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

I'm glad you said that because I may save you an expensive mistake. The combo unit you had was probably a VENTLESS model that took forever to dry, which it probably did badly to boot.

The Splendide combo unit is VENTED which makes a HUGE difference. The non-vented ones use a condenser to pull moisture out pdf the air. The old ones were terrible.

In any case the vented model bypasses all that. Why don't you post a question about the combo unit on this forum and see what people have to say? Most people love them and one lady said it only took 30 minutes to dry 2 pairs of jeans.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #7

X2 on the vented combo. Muuuuch different than non vented. Granted, the stackable units are more efficient, but I'd consider giving the vented combo a chance before you exclude an entire coach that may be a better fit all around.
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

By the way, this may be a great example of keeping your emotions in check. You may be naturally biased against Georgetown because of something you heard or general attitude of a certain part of the community.

Your intellect says you need to do your due diligence and look at GT more closely only to quickly dismiss it because you had negative experience with a similar concept (but potentially) different technology because it justifies your bias. Take the time to do a true due diligence, regardless of how you feel.

It costs nothing to take a look at the Georgetown and put the combo unit in the con side of your list but weigh it lightly if you are satisfied with the responses you get from the forum on their washing and drying efficiency. Conversely, the downside could factor in more heavily if you expect to use it often because you are a full timer or snow bird.

I guess what I am saying is that it is all relative. Please don't take my comments as any kind of negative aspersion, i'm just trying to get you to see every option so you can make the best decision for you, which would be a Georgetown.

JUST KIDDING!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #9

By the way I am a horrible writer and I have to edit my posts 5 to 6 times before I am happy. Just saying...
Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
Tinkerer and Putterer

Many of these rigs have similar parts but I will say that the fit and finish on the Canyon Star is a notch above the Georgetown but the cost is too. If I were planning to full time I would either be tempted to look at a used DP or a new Canyon Star but I'm not. That's at least 20 years off and Forrest Rivers products work great for my families occasional use. One of the big things that would keep a Georgetown on my short list even though the fit and finish might not match up is the service I have received from the company on my current Forrester. I had a roof failure under warranty and took my rig back to the factory for service. The folks were great and my rig came back better than new with some functional updates that were included on newer models. They delivered it to my door free of charge and with a full tank of gas. I know how much it cost me to drive it up to Indiana. They paid a driver on top of that to put it in my driveway. How many companies would provide that level of service? In an industry that is often blasted for poor service after the sale Forest River is doing their best to break that stigma. I don't know if Tiffin or Newmar would do the same but it's something I would check into before switching brands.

Did I mention that they allowed me to schedule the repair for a time after the camping season even though that put my rig out of warranty? Yes I had to pay for a temporary repair but hey I got to continue using my rig and I didn't have to pay a storage fee during the 2 months they had it over the winter to do the repairs. BONUS! Great people to work with especially when you talk to them as friends and not adversaries.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #11

Well we're back in the running,

I read your posts to my wife and slipped in a couple thoughts of my own. Once I got to the part (yes, part of my thoughts) that you guys would come out and do our laundry in any of the Continental United States, she was all in!

Seriously, she thought that for 3 to 4 months a year she could handle a combo. Truth be told, she fell in love with the Black Diamond package offered on the 369 floorplan.

I thank you all for your input and the Georgetown XL is back and very much on our wish list.

Thanks again
Old 04-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #12

Be sure to specify vented if you get the Georgetown.

Happy trails!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

I have owned both, stick with Numar. Much better product. My 352XL has a problem every time out. Some my fault most component issues. Electrical and Hydraulic being the culprit. FR service is a big issue also.
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #14

Hi Dc8, It is a concern of mine. I like the XL very much and as I've said especially the Black Diamond option. But I have had drilled in my mind from so many on the forums that the two top coaches are Newmar and Tiffin. I'd not be honest if it didn't give me more than a moments pause.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

And the you hear stories like this:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ce-105112.html

or this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/expe...er-243012.html
Old 04-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
Tinkerer and Putterer

I wondered if the King Aire post would make it into this thread... I have heard both good and bad stories for all three brands. That is why I would make some calls myself and get some details on how each company handles those worst case scenarios straight from the company. Rarely can you get a complete picture from a thread. There is always bias and whether intentional or not, "unimportant" details are often omitted during the composition. Heck rent an RV, or go camping with your current outfit and scout out some owners of the rigs your interested in while camping. Most folks are more than happy to share their experiences and show you their rigs. Those conversations will also often give you ideas as to functionality and uses for the rigs setup that you may have never thought of both good and bad. Face to face time with a subject matter expert / owner is the best research you can do in my opinion. Forum posts just can't match it.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote