Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljuw89 View Post
Hi All!

I just upgraded from a travel trailer to a motorhome, and with it I got a new toy! An invertor! But I also have a generator. It seems to me that I would probably only use the invertor when driving the rig? Is that right? If I have shore power, or can run the generator, when else might I use an invertor? I would think you would want to limit it's use if the rig isn't running...

Am I thinking straight on this?
Hi M,
Are you basing your assumption that you have an inverter because of a switch that has "IN" handwritten on it? If it has one, it will be an electronic device, and more than likely mounted very near the batteries. I would start searching for it, or like others suggested tracing the wiring on that switch. It might have visible cooling fins and a fan on it. If you see something like this, take a photo and let us see it, Thanks'
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #22
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Hi M,

Are you basing your assumption that you have an inverter because of a switch that has "IN" handwritten on it? If it has one, it will be an electronic device, and more than likely mounted very near the batteries. I would start searching for it, or like others suggested tracing the wiring on that switch. It might have visible cooling fins and a fan on it. If you see something like this, take a photo and let us see it, Thanks'

WW

"In" means "Stairs In".

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #23
RJJ

So What Is My Inverter For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Just a guess, but because you say it affects your stairs I'm guessing it a stair switch bypass so you can retract the stairs with the door open for storage purposes. I put such a switch on mine but I installed it in the storage bay by the door.

Unless OP can get a picture of an actual inverter in the rig, this makes the most sense. Also the switch says "ON" not "IN".

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #24

As I interpret the instructions, my inverter only powers the refrigerator and only provided all of the following are true: 1. The inverter is turned on (small button near the front door) 2. There is no shore or generator power. 3. The engine is running.
TwoNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
"In" means "Stairs In".

You got to be kidding... too funny!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #26

I think it is a bypass for the steps door switch. Several individuals used some sort of bypass for the steps (magnet/switch etc.). Some installed a switch to keep the steps from extending when the door was opened. The OP said the steps functioned with the switch. It's a guessing game.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #27

Reason for inverter

One reason for an inverter is quiet hours at some campgrounds. There are places that only allow generator operations during limited daytime hours. Some campers may use CPAP or other medical devices at night and the inverter provide the power.
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter