Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #1

Solar Charger to house batteries

Hi everyone. I just purchased a Battery Tender brand solar charger for my house batteries. I already hooked one up to my engine battery and it works great. I leave it on top of my dash on a blanket and I haven't had problems with the battery being discharged since. I want to hook up my new solar charger to the coach/house batteries and I'm not sure which one I need to hook it up to. I would guess that one battery get the direct charge from the generator or plug in power converter and then excess voltage goes to the second battery. Anyone know if this is how things work. If so, when I hook up the solar charger to the main battery, will this charge both batteries once the first battery is fully charged? I hope there is someone who has performed this on their rig. Thanks for any answers to my problem.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Commercial Member

If you have a multiple battery system you have to wire across the battery bank. Wire the positive or negative of one battery and the opposite post on the furthest battery in the bank.

Don't wire to just one battery as it's inefficient and the second or further batteries won't ever be charged up.

Example - Positive on battery one and negative on battery two. Or Positive on battery one and negative on battery 4. The charge has to go through the battery bank.

Jeff
Zamp Solar
Welcome to Zamp Solar - Power to Explore | Zamp Solar
ZampSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Thanks again, ZampSolar. I explored your website for a little while and will be back when I need more solar power items.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZampSolar View Post
If you have a multiple battery system you have to wire across the battery bank. Wire the positive or negative of one battery and the opposite post on the furthest battery in the bank.
X2

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

Thanks Yarome. That is exactly what I am going to do. I have a new battery tender to install for two batteries and will do it this way. I also have a solar charger that is cracked and was going to use that, but wasn't sure if I could. I put through panels in the front windshield area on the dash, but was concerned about the safety of a cracked solar panel.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbamace View Post
. I put through panels in the front windshield area on the dash, but was concerned about the safety of a cracked solar panel.
As long as all of the panel cells and connections are intact safety is not an issue. More of an issue would be the cracked glass covering your panel. At certain angles it can diffuse light and basically act the same as a shadow over your panel. Since you are using it inside your windshield I would remove the glass completely in the short term and replace it at my earliest convenience.

Sounds like you are good to go!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

I'm not sure how a panel is made. Is the glass separate from the cell so that you can take apart the frame and the glass separates from the other materials?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

You wouldn't want to separate the glass. Likely you cannot do it but if you can I wouldn't suggest doing it.

Having a panel that is sealed would be best for longevity. If the solar panel has glass that you can separate there is a chance you can get moisture inside.

-Jeff
Old 11-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbamace View Post
Is the glass separate from the cell so that you can take apart the frame and the glass separates from the other materials?
Yes. The frame and glass are independent from the cells.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZampSolar View Post
You wouldn't want to separate the glass. Likely you cannot do it but if you can I wouldn't suggest doing it.
I'm a bit curious. Why would you NOT want to replace the glass and how would it be a detriment to the voltaic cells?

With cracked glass casting a shadow you are cutting the legs out from the entire panel. What hazards do you foresee in changing out the glass or frame?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
Commercial Member

My apologies, that's wasn't clear.

If you can remove the glass and it's not glued to the solar cell then replacing it would be a good option. Make sure you don't get any skin oils on the cells or the wiring.

Many manufacturers seal and glue everything together so there won't be any issue with moisture build up in the panel.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #12

I'm curious also. Because this panel does work and the glass is cracked I thought I could separate it also. If not, I will have to throw this new panel in the trash. I have already replaced it, but I thought it might be a backup.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #13

Okay. Got it now. Thanks, ZampSolar, I will try that if my new one stops working.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

OP, what panels are you using?
PrepVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #15

I'm using Deltron Battery Tender Solar Charger panels for the house batteries and the chassis battery. I started using one panel for the chassis battery because I would come to get the motor home out of storage and the chassis battery would be dead. Luckily, I have a battery boost option that uses the coach batteries to start the rig. I knew if I kept this up, my chassis battery would eventually die permanently. I have used Deltron products on all my toys and never had a problem with them, so I decided to go again with Deltron. I have never come to storage and found my battery dead again. Great product.

Tags
solar, battery