Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #31

Yes, darn lucky you didn't have a fire. Great job in how you were able to fix it!

In cases like this where you have a bunch of receptacles out and it's not a tripped GFCI or breaker, it is almost always a bad connection somewhere - either in a wiring device or a junction box. You have to be persistent and methodical in pinpointing the problem.

You had an arcing fault as opposed to a fault to ground. Nowadays in houses, Code requires an arc fault breaker for bedroom receptacles. I wonder if they should be using them in RVs?

Wire connectors (aka "nuts") do not have to have the wires pretwisted, but this is the normal practice in the commercial/industrial sector. Otherwise, there is a bit of a knack to holding the wires together and twisting the connector on to get the wires to twist properly. Once the nut is twisted on properly, there ain't no way the wires will come apart. You can remove one to test if you have it right. Gets much more difficult when you have 4 or more wires, in which case, it is just better to pre-twist them anyway and trim them. The yellow connectors in your coach have wings on them to make the twisting process easier. I like these better but they do take up more room in a box. There is a little plastic tool that you can use for the wingless ones.

In all my decades of being in the electrical business, I have to say that I have never, ever heard of taping wire connectors. It's overkill but perhaps an extra good measure in an RV that shakes, and moves - unlike a building. Good idea to install the plastic connectors on the box with 2 cables each. I'm not so sure that 4 cables in the original metal connector was okay by NEC?

FWIW, I thought I would just say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the design of 120V receptacles in RVs. They are what is used in manufactured homes also. The problem is when whoever is doing the install does NOT terminate the wires properly. Can be done with a screwdriver (if done slowly and carefully), but there is a correct/proper tool for punching down the wires and I would expect factory workers doing these to have the proper tool but it sounds like maybe not out there...

If you had spare time some day, it might be an interesting excercise to pull off a few receptacles and check the connections. In one I removed in our TT (to relocate up 6" for a cab. mod.) I found one conductor was improperly terminated. There are 2 "stabs" for each conductor and on one of them, only one stab had a wire connected and the other was all bent to crap and the wire unconnected. I doubt that the proper tool was used. I am going to check all the others.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #32

Had The same problem with the 2004. Burn in two places. Redid with Buchan Fastners. I don't like wire nut on anything, high amp draw works on the spring inside them.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #33

Buchanan

Made by Ideal Industries Inc. You can get at Radio Shack and the tool
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post

FWIW, I thought I would just say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the design of 120V receptacles in RVs. They are what is used in manufactured homes also. The problem is when whoever is doing the install does NOT terminate the wires properly. Can be done with a screwdriver (if done slowly and carefully), but there is a correct/proper tool for punching down the wires and I would expect factory workers doing these to have the proper tool but it sounds like maybe not out there...

If you had spare time some day, it might be an interesting excercise to pull off a few receptacles and check the connections. In one I removed in our TT (to relocate up 6" for a cab. mod.) I found one conductor was improperly terminated. There are 2 "stabs" for each conductor and on one of them, only one stab had a wire connected and the other was all bent to crap and the wire unconnected. I doubt that the proper tool was used. I am going to check all the others.
My only issue with the RV Receptacles is using them as a junction box. The front receptacle to the front TV had 3 wires connected to the receptacle. One for the TV receptacle, one that went down the window coulmn to the receptacle under the dash and the other to the Home Threatre Receptacle which also continued to the receptacle under the HT Cabinet. All three wires were pushed into the slots. However the first two wires opened the slot so much that the third wire just popped out of the slot as soon as I took the gray back cover off. So it was just floating in the receptacle. There was evidence of arching on one side of the receptacle. I ended up installing a seperate junction box and ran seperate feeds to each receptacle.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #35
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cherry View Post
Made by Ideal Industries Inc. You can get at Radio Shack and the tool
I used the Buchanan Crimp Rings and Caps on all of the junction boxes I opened where there were more than 2 wires being connected. Basically the same type item as you posted. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
Current River Rat

Just read this very "interesting" post with the new adds. Quite an eye opener, MH, TT or whatever. I am completely flabbergasted that FR does not have any type of wiring schematic available or at least to refer to on a problem like this. Plus the way they "hide" JB's. Good grief. I think it might be time for the association to update some rules and guidelines for safety sake. How much easier would this whole thing have been if he had had a schematic available to figure out where things were. What a hair pulling episode in the rv life. Plus the photos scared the crap out of me. I've been through a house fire before and it is not something you want to repeat. Good job on tracking down the problem. Shame on FR for not having available printed support for something as simple as a wiring diagram. In this day and age I just don't get that. Just think where we might be without this forum??
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #37

When I have three wires or sometimes two large ga. wires I crimp them together adding a wire come out to go in the rec.s this will keep them tighter,but rv rec.s are the pits anyway. The dealer here has got a better aftermarket rec. they use you have a set screw to keep them tight.