Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

SOLVED - Toshiba 40" and RCA Surround Sound problem

I have a 2012 378TS with a 40" Toshiba flat scrren in the main area. It is hooked up to a cheap RCA surround sound system.
Whenever I turn on the surround sound using the AUX in as setup by FR I get sound but unable to shut off the TV speakers so all I get is a echo from the TV speakers and Surround sound.
Called Toshiba and they said FR modified the back of the TV with the 2 RCA jacks that go analog to the RCA surround sound systems.

Well what I'm asking if any of the 2012 378TS owners have the same problem or an I doing something wrong. Please help as I'm on the road now.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Try muting the TV speakers or turn down the TV volume on them.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

I find the same problem on our 2011 378. If I turn down the tv sound the surround sound goes down too, but you can then turn up the surround volume and it balances out pretty well. As I recall, it you mute the tv, the surround mutes too.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post
I find the same problem on our 2011 378. If I turn down the tv sound the surround sound goes down too, but you can then turn up the surround volume and it balances out pretty well. As I recall, it you mute the tv, the surround mutes too.
Exactly correct. Just turn down the tv volumn and turn up the RCA volumn. Work at it and you will find the correct balance. Doesn't seem to be "logical" but you have to work with what you have.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

On my 2011 360 we just shut off the RCA system and use the TV speakers. Wierd that they are wired differently.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Try muting the TV speakers or turn down the TV volume on them.
Did that but it also mutes and turns down the sound level to the surround sound system.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post

If I turn down the tv sound the surround sound goes down too, but you can then turn up the surround volume and it balances out pretty well.
I will try that again but I think I was still getting the echo effect.

As I recall, it you mute the tv, the surround mutes too.
YES IT DOES
Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
On my 2011 360 we just shut off the RCA system and use the TV speakers. Wierd that they are wired differently.
That is the way we are using now but the volumn must be at 100% and we can barely hear it. I have read around that this TV has bad sound and volume.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Iggy - You've probably already tried this, but on our tv (it's an LG, but the concept is the same), we have to go into the setup screens and mute the tv speakers there - it's buried several screens down and a real pain to so - so that we don't get backfeed when we use our surround sound.

Jenn & Joe
JJFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #10

HI Everyone We have a 2012 280 ours didnt come with surround sound can I install a aftermarket system myself??? my other RV had it and I miss it.
Thanks for all your Help
George
RED Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

Toshiba sound set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
That is the way we are using now but the volumn must be at 100% and we can barely hear it. I have read around that this TV has bad sound and volume.
From this symtom sounds as though the TV auto section is blown out or is not set up properly. When I got MH home I didn't realize it had surround sound (for the TV) till I poked around. Took a while to get it so Here's my settings Toshiba 40" and RCA surround.

On TV menu for sound: Advanced audio- PC No, HDMI auto, MTS stero Optical output format Dolby. Thats the important one, it causes the TV outputs FR added to be read as Dolby by the RCA.

On the RCA when you turn it on, select "optical" and if things are working ok I turn the TV vol to 2 and increase the RCA till sound fills the room, it will, if set up right. Its not a 10,000 home theater but it works prettly well for a "mobile home".
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFerg View Post
Iggy - You've probably already tried this, but on our tv (it's an LG, but the concept is the same), we have to go into the setup screens and mute the tv speakers there - it's buried several screens down and a real pain to so - so that we don't get backfeed when we use our surround sound.

Jenn & Joe
Wish it was that easy but the Toshiba you can not turn off the speakers from the setupenu. Wish it was that simple.
Anyway the only way I can make it useable is to turn do the volume on the TV and turn up the RCA surround sound. Not the greatest but will have to do for now.
Thanks ALL

Tomorrow we shoulod hit the Grand Tetons for 3 days then on the Yellowstone for 5 nights.
Byee
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #13

I have finally found a reasonable balance betwwen the RCA surround sound system and the Toshiba TV
TV level is 10 and RCA is 30.
I think this setup is a bunch of $#$%
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have finally found a reasonable balance betwwen the RCA surround sound system and the Toshiba TV
TV level is 10 and RCA is 30.
I think this setup is a bunch of $#$%
Sounds like you found the balance that works the best as can be expected. I also found that when listening to the tv thru the RCA system ensure you have the RCA unit set to "stereo" and not the "5.1" setting. This helps eliminate the echo effect. Right now she is watching a cupcake show in High Definition on the Food Network and the tv/system sound fine.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Sounds like you found the balance that works the best as can be expected. I also found that when listening to the tv thru the RCA system ensure you have the RCA unit set to "stereo" and not the "5.1" setting. This helps eliminate the echo effect. Right now she is watching a cupcake show in High Definition on the Food Network and the tv/system sound fine.
Lostdog I just switched off 5.1 and changed to stereo.
It works much much better and no echo.
Thank you very much and hope others with similiar issue now have a solution.
Thanks
Iggy
Old 08-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #16

Problem Solved

Problem SOLVED
I was unable to stop the echo sound from both TV and surround sound system. I was unable to turn off the speakers in the TV software so I did it the HERK way.

I Installed a double pole double throw switch and installed in the back of the TV set. I broke one wire from each of the two speakers and ran it thru the switch. Speakers all ON or all OFF in the TV.

Now if I use the surround sound I just turn off the TV speakers and no more echo adjusting.

For me this problem is SOLVED.