Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I need one of those for my garage.
There pricey but hey it costs nothing to operate if you have waste oil.
Our unit paid for itself in the first year of use.
60x60 shop.

TURBS

oc's buddy
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
There pricey but hey it costs nothing to operate if you have waste oil.
Our unit paid for itself in the first year of use.
60x60 shop.

TURBS

oc's buddy
My garage is a two car garage I love the idea if it was cheaper. It seems that I always have gallons of old oil laying around. Right now all I have is one of those kerosene heaters and it's not cheap to operate at all. I usually restore one old motorcycle during the winter, but this winter has been way too cold and haven't been motivated at all.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
My garage is a two car garage I love the idea if it was cheaper. It seems that I always have gallons of old oil laying around. Right now all I have is one of those kerosene heaters and it's not cheap to operate at all. I usually restore one old motorcycle during the winter, but this winter has been way too cold and haven't been motivated at all.
If the unit runs one full hour non stop it uses one gallon of oil.

TURBS

oc's buddy
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #44

This thread was kind of interesting with all the different opinions on oil and whether to change it yourself or not. I think it comes down to what you like to do with your time and what makes you happy or maybe contented. I have been working on cars for 48 years now and I enjoy servicing my rig, my cars and truck. What is sweet is that my truck is a Ford F350 7.3 so getting rid of the old oil is pretty easy. I also agree that Wallymart is tough to beat on oil prices plus at least locally they carry the Purolator filters for a good price. After cutting some open and viewing the contents, they are just about on-par with a Wix (NAPA Gold). Probably not quite as good as a Baldwin but for the money I am satisfied and it's not like I leave it in there forever. As to oil, I tend to like the 5w30 stuff in a full synthetic brew, although the truck gets a 15w40 diesel spec synthetic and has done well with it for the 15 years I have had it. On my rig (2008 315DS) I finally came up with something for getting it refilled with oil. I took a gallon oil jug and a cap that had a cone on top (like a bottle of honey), a coat hanger and a 3/4" clear piece of tubing put it all together by cutting the bottom inch off of the jug, fastening the coat hanger into a hook and of course using the top and hose to get the oil to the filler tube. Now I just hang the jug and place the tube in the filler and dump my fresh oil in - quick and easy plus no mess. I have also found that an old antifreeze jug with the side cut out and the top removed makes a convenient funnel for draining the oil and filter on the rig since they positioned both right over top the of the cross-member. And lastly who the hell ever decided that used oil was an environmental hazard> that's a bunch of B.S. and if people would stand up to the idiots that come up with this stuff, we'd live in a better world. There's not a damn thing in that used oil but oil and carbon - came from the earth and it can go back -no problem.
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #45

When I lived in Idaho, all the shops had woodstoves with 1/4" holes drilled in the side.

They used a 1/4" stainless tubing and a petcock to adjust the flow from a reservoir (5-gallon or so bucket).

Start a wood fire, and after it gets going pretty good, turn on the petcock and let gravity do its thing with the burnt oil.

Since I have moved to the High Desert in CA, I rigged up a stove and do the same thing.

I doubt that the Air Quality Management District would approve, but......
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
When I lived in Idaho, all the shops had woodstoves with 1/4" holes drilled in the side.

They used a 1/4" stainless tubing and a petcock to adjust the flow from a reservoir (5-gallon or so bucket).

Start a wood fire, and after it gets going pretty good, turn on the petcock and let gravity do its thing with the burnt oil.

Since I have moved to the High Desert in CA, I rigged up a stove and do the same thing.

I doubt that the Air Quality Management District would approve, but......
Can't be any worse then our waste oil fired furnace

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #47

And it does as good a job in my 30 x 40' un-insulated galvanized steel shop as the natural gas powered, gas hog, hangar heater that I have in there!

I use a ceiling fan to move the heat around.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote