Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

Some tips for doing your own oil change

The filter (MC FL820S) for the V10 costs about $4. The 5w20 Motorcraft oil is $17.95 for a large jug at WallMart. The same jug was $25 at an auto parts store.You may prefer to buy individual quarts. They cost a little more but since the oil fill pipe is hard to access I had to pour the jug into a smaller quart container in order to be able to pour the oil into a funnel. Lube was mostly easy but some of the fittings are at a difficult angle. Gonna buy a flexible hose for the gun to make access easier next time. Wear rubber gloves when removing the oil filter unless you enjoy nice warm oil running down your hand and arm. Be sure you have a filter wrench as the previous guy probably tightened it more than needed. Make sure the old O ring did not stick to the housing or you will loose the oil to a bad leak. And put a thin coat of oil on the new filter O ring so that it will install easily while you spin it on. I decided to do it myself because I am tired of long waits and travel to/from a service center. Plus I saved about $50 bucks plus another $15 or so in gas. I will use the old oil for my chain saw lube. Also I did the work in a mulched parking area so I wouldn't make a mess in my driveway. Tomorrow I'm gonna winterize the fresh water system since they are forecasting temps below 30 here next week. Haven't had a killing freeze since 2010 so I hope it doesn't get that cold because my flowers and shrubs have really grown big. The Tampa area gets a hard freeze every few years. The freeze line usually doesn't reach Sarasota.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

Thanks for posting this. I always do my own oil changes on everything and will be doing our rig in the Spring. Can't beat Wally World prices on oil. I'm assuming you went with conventional oil. I always use semi or full synthetic in our vehicles. Probably will go with semi for the coach.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in a nice write up with photos when I do the engine maintenance on the coach. It may have no value since it's simple stuff.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

At my job I do 5 to 12 complete PM services (oil changes) on our fleet vehicles every week. We use Wix filters and Chevron oil as that is what is on contact through purchasing. For my own fleet I can buy Wix filters at contract price from O'Reily's and buy Wal-Mart store brand oil which by taste and smell is packaged by Valvoline.
I have been using Wally store brand oil in 10w40 for many years now in my F150,Toyota Camry and Jeep CJ5.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
At my job I do 5 to 12 complete PM services (oil changes) on our fleet vehicles every week. We use Wix filters and Chevron oil as that is what is on contact through purchasing. For my own fleet I can buy Wix filters at contract price from O'Reily's and buy Wal-Mart store brand oil which by taste and smell is packaged by Valvoline.
I have been using Wally store brand oil in 10w40 for many years now in my F150,Toyota Camry and Jeep CJ5.
Just a quick comment.
No manufacturers since the beginning of the 90's recommend any 10w40 in any automobile engine.
Maybe you miss typed.

TURBS

dog wisperer
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Local dealer does a oil change w/filter and O ring for $45 bucks.
I'd rather pay that in and out rather than pay that much doing it myself and then cleaning up the mess after I am done and then get rid of the old oil (15 quarts).

I like doing the work have for decades but sometime it is better to let someone else do the work.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

hi Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Thanks for posting this. I always do my own oil changes on everything and will be doing our rig in the Spring. Can't beat Wally World prices on oil. I'm assuming you went with conventional oil. I always use semi or full synthetic in our vehicles. Probably will go with semi for the coach.

Not sure if anyone would be interested in a nice write up with photos when I do the engine maintenance on the coach. It may have no value since it's simple stuff.
The filter and oil are the motorcraft items listed in the Ford owners manual that came with MH. The oil is a synthetic blend. My most difficult task was getting the oil into thefiller tube. No room to pour directly from the much cheaper jug. A small hand pump would make it much easier.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I'd rather pay that in and out rather than pay that much doing it myself and then cleaning up the mess after I am done and then get rid of the old oil (15 quarts).

I like doing the work have for decades but sometime it is better to let someone else do the work.
I used to take my F350 to a shop also. A big rv won't fit in the low price shops. Also the V10 uses less than half the oil your rig does. MH service rates are typically double that of cars or pickups. About 80 bucks for oil and lubr in my area amnd ots a lot more time, fuel, etc to get the rv to/from. I usually take my cars and van to the "quicky"type place because they do it fast and almost as cheap as my cost. Try taking a 38 footer there haha.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:

Is this a diesel were talking for 45 bucks?? I assume since you said getting rid of 15qts. I can't even buy 15 qts of oil for that. And then the filter alone is another 20. Can you explain?
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just a quick comment.
No manufacturers since the beginning of the 90's recommend any 10w40 in any automobile engine.
Maybe you miss typed.

TURBS

dog wisperer
01' F150 w/198K miles
98' Camry w 204K miles
78' Jeep

Just turned 65 this week and been wrenching professionally for 40 years.
I am pretty much on top of the motor oil specs. In our state fleet we are in line with all the newer specs but for my own high mileage units it's 10-40 for me.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Is this a diesel were talking for 45 bucks?? I assume since you said getting rid of 15qts. I can't even buy 15 qts of oil for that. And then the filter alone is another 20. Can you explain?
If I or you or anyone changes their own oil you need to do something with the old.
In my case I take it to the local AutoZone they get rid of it some place.
I did an oil change a few months back and had such a mess that it took me a half an hour to clean it up.
Oil filter was around 15 buck, I got the oil at AutoZone for 12.99 a gallon X 4 (on sale).

Dealer likes to under price the one up the freeway (they charge $75) for the same service.
I will go back at that price and convenience, the coffee is free and good tasting.

At the right time I will take mine in for service and test out a new 2015 F350.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
If I or you or anyone changes their own oil you need to do something with the old.
In my case I take it to the local AutoZone they get rid of it some place.
I did an oil change a few months back and had such a mess that it took me a half an hour to clean it up.
Oil filter was around 15 buck, I got the oil at AutoZone for 12.99 a gallon X 4 (on sale).

Dealer likes to under price the one up the freeway (they charge $75) for the same service.
I will go back at that price and convenience, the coffee is free and good tasting.

At the right time I will take mine in for service and test out a new 2015 F350.

Sounds odd to me. Doesn't add up! Like you said your $15 on a filter plus $52 (13x4) for oil. That's 67 bucks and there providing all this and labor and disposal of old oil all for $45 buckaroos. I'd be worried what there actually doing or what your actually getting for this. I also have a powerstroke 6.4 like I see in your sig and I only run oem filters and motorcraft oil due to the fact that this motor is so picky. I do hope your not screwing yourself in the long run!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #12

Adding a Fumoto Valve to replace the drain plug on the Ford V-10 allows you to drain the oil into a jug without spilling a drop. The Fumoto Valves are a locking ball valve that are considered OEM by several engine manufacturers. Get the version with a hose barb for attaching a short hose when draining. The Ford V-10 uses Fumoto part # F-106 or F-106N for the version with a hose barb.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Sounds odd to me. Doesn't add up! Like you said your $15 on a filter plus $52 (13x4) for oil. That's 67 bucks and there providing all this and labor and disposal of old oil all for $45 buckaroos. I'd be worried what there actually doing or what your actually getting for this. I also have a powerstroke 6.4 like I see in your sig and I only run oem filters and motorcraft oil due to the fact that this motor is so picky. I do hope your not screwing yourself in the long run!
My convenience is worth a bunch, in this case 45 bucks and I do not need to get dirty.

Ya the 6.4 is a filter hog, air fuel and oil all need to be changed religiously.

BTW it is a Ford dealer and I have the receipt if something goes wrong.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:

45 bucks for 15 quarts and a filter? Now, that's a heck of a deal. If I can find something like that around here I will definitely have them do it. Not sure what kind of rig you have that takes 15 quarts. I think our V10 only holds 7 quarts. Motorcraft 5w20 is 27 bucks for 7 quarts. Are they using good oil on your rig?

Edited - Sorry Ford Idaho, I just realized you have a diesel truck. Was thinking in the V10 Class A mindset since that's what the OP's thread was about.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
The filter and oil are the motorcraft items listed in the Ford owners manual that came with MH. The oil is a synthetic blend. My most difficult task was getting the oil into thefiller tube. No room to pour directly from the much cheaper jug. A small hand pump would make it much easier.
I'd have to look to see how complicated is getting to the filler tube. I have a hand pump that I've used to fill up differentials, but it will take many pumps to get 7 quarts in there.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
45 bucks for 15 quarts and a filter? Now, that's a heck of a deal. If I can find something like that around here I will definitely have them do it. Not sure what kind of rig you have that takes 15 quarts. I think our V10 only holds 7 quarts. Motorcraft 5w20 is 27 bucks for 7 quarts. Are they using good oil on your rig?
It is a 6.4 as in my sig.
Ford calls for 15qt, feel free to look it up if you doubt me.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
01' F150 w/198K miles
98' Camry w 204K miles
78' Jeep

Just turned 65 this week and been wrenching professionally for 40 years.
I am pretty much on top of the motor oil specs. In our state fleet we are in line with all the newer specs but for my own high mileage units it's 10-40 for me.
10w40 doesnt meet any new car api specs.
10w40 is old school oil.
Just because it works for you doesn't mean its right.
sorry we'll agree to disagree.

TURBS

dog wisperer
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #18

Quote:
It is a 6.4 as in my sig.
Ford calls for 15qt, feel free to look it up if you doubt me.
No doubt, I'm sure diesels take a lot more oil than gassers. Was confused because the thread was about the Ford V10 and thought that's what you were talking about. Nevertheless, you are getting a great deal for 15 quarts of oil, a filter, and labor for 45 bucks. IIRC, I paid more than that for the oil change on my Ram 1500 Hemi.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #19

Quote:
No doubt, I'm sure diesels take a lot more oil than gassers. Was confused because the thread was about the Ford V10 and thought that's what you were talking about. Nevertheless, you are getting a great deal for 15 quarts of oil, a filter, and labor for 45 bucks. IIRC, I paid more than that for the oil change on my Ram 1500 Hemi.
Title of the thread is not engine specific.

Quote:
Some tips for doing your own oil change
And as I posted before the dealer I am going to is trying (very well I might add) to under cut another dealer.

Gotta love a price war.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Title of the thread is not engine specific.

And as I posted before the dealer I am going to is trying (very well I might add) to under cut another dealer.

Gotta love a price war.
Did you even read a threat LOL

The filter (MC FL820S) for the V10 costs about $4. The 5w20 Motorcraft oil is $17.95 for a large jug at WallMart.