Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Squeaky Kitchen Floor in 378

After 4 years of living in our GT378, the kitchen floor is now squeaking very badly in the area in front of the sink and oven. I saw a solution somewhere in this forum, but don't know where. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

Is it a squeaky or more of a knocking noise?

I had a knocking noise that was coming from the center of the MH (under the floor). Sounded like a hydraulic hose flopping against the bottom of the floor. In my case, I was able to make an adjustment to the offending slide.

If it's more of high pitched squeak, I do recall some posts where folks ended up drilling into their floors and adding some epoxy remove a squeak. Something to so do with loose styrofoam.
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

You have a 378 XL not a 378 GT

I get a little squeak up front between the captains chairs. Sounds like the glue is not holding to the metal frame or maybe it needs another sheet metal screw.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I had a couple squeeks in the floor near the kitchen area and found it to be the screws holding the cabinets to the floor had loosened. I removed them one at a time, added a little glue into the hole and reinstalled them. Tightened them down and in my case the squeeks went away. This may not be the same as yours but it's another place to look, when you said in front of the sink and oven. Same location as mine. Good luck!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #5

This squeak is where ever you step in the area about 18" out from either the sink or stove.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

I believe they have a GT (Georgetown) 378. I have a GT 378 (TS) and it did not come with the XL designation. I believe the XL designation was added late 2011. My unit was completed June 2011. There are some changes that come with the XL ie. extra light switches, a cabinet over the entrance, storage bay lighting just to name a few. There is no XL graphic on our unit. We have the squeak exactly where they do. I had my unit in for some waranty issues and our dealer could not find the cause. They tried installing some 2x4's beneath the floor (really hard to get at) to no avail. I looked in that area and everything was secure. May be some good news, it has not gotten worse (we don't notice it much anymore) after some 12000 miles of camping.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

Yes, we have a 2010 Georgetown 378 TS. No other designation. I found this in the forums. Anyone have any other information about it?

"I have a 2008 Georgetown 340TS. I had a very squeaky kitchen floor. I was recommended a repair technique by FR that I was very leary of doing but it worked.

I was replacing the vinyl flooring with vinyl hardwood strips anyway so I gave it a shot. I removed the vinyl (removing it anyway). I took a 2 inch hole saw and drilled 3 holes in the general area where it squeaked. If you hit steel when you drill, don't worry, just move to the side about 2 inches and drill again. Save the wooden circle that you cut out.

Once the hole was cut, I cleaned out some of the styrofoam insulation from the holes (as much as I could reach with a small screw driver). Try to get as much styrofoam removed near the squeak area as possible. I then filled the holes and as much of the open space with high quality insulation foam. Use a genorous amount of the foam. Don't walk on it until the next day. Although it sounds like the squeaking in a house floor, what you are really hearing is the wood floor rubbing against the metal joists. The foam will fill the area between the metal joists and the wooden floor.

The next day, I was shocked. It worked. It really worked. It has been about a year now and there is still no squeaks at all. I hope this helps."
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-1-2013 12-18-34 PM.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	29408

I would have thought they would have glued and screwed the flooring deck to the metal floor joist, but I guess they don't.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

Thanks for the pic...I wonder if the flooring is 5/8 or 3/4 OSB? Also, anyone have any idea of what the distance between the floor joists is?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betndavrv2 View Post
Thanks for the pic...I wonder if the flooring is 5/8 or 3/4 OSB? Also, anyone have any idea of what the distance between the floor joists is?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...x-24996-2.html

Didn't know if you have looked at this post but there are a few pictures posted showing the flooring removed. Maybe Eric52 could give you the info you're looking for.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I had a couple squeeks in the floor near the kitchen area and found it to be the screws holding the cabinets to the floor had loosened. I removed them one at a time, added a little glue into the hole and reinstalled them. Tightened them down and in my case the squeeks went away. This may not be the same as yours but it's another place to look, when you said in front of the sink and oven. Same location as mine. Good luck!
cfsoistman, since I have squeak too, I am going to try your fix and see if that will work in my situation. Certainly sounds easier than removing flooring. Thanks for the advice.
Fore Aces is offline   Reply With Quote