Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

SSP50 Smart Surge

I know everyone suggests we should be using a surge protector and I have read a few threads here about them.

Has anyone tried the Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge?

It's on Amazon for less than half the price of the fancier ones with LED displays. This one says it has indicator lights that show there is a good voltage and proper connections. I worry that you get what you pay for and don't want a sense of false security.

I am considering buying it and a 30' extension cord and keeping it in a compartment for protection from moisture and theft.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Progressive Industries

We've been using the EMS-HW50C unit from Progressive Industries since getting our motorhome. In fact, it was the first accessory we purchased. Over the years, we've seen all kinds of power fluctuations that could have caused trouble on board considering how much electronic gadgetry there is these days, and the costs. We use it every time.

Progressive bases there entire company on this kind of product, so I would suggest they know what they're doing. They are NOT "jack of all trades" of an endless supply of gimics. It's money well spent.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

I have the Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge. I have not had it a long time but so far so good. I have never had any problems without a surge guard. But this is my first "NEW" camper and all it takes is one problem.

Progressive Industries seems to have a good reputation on this forum. So I went with the SSP30, knowing it was a cheaper unit and more likely needing replacement if I do have a problem.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

I have a Progressive EMS-LCHW50 installed. It has the screen on the unit instead of a remote panel. It also was my first immediate purchase after buying my Georgetown.

Installed it myself. was easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 004.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	19320  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

I too have the EMS-LCHW50 installed. I don't think the display does anything special for me though its nice to see how many amps I'm drawing when first connected. It has stopped me from using one power riser at a fairgrounds. Upon returning to that same fairgrounds I saw that riser and parking space closed off, I've also had the power shut down temporarily as well. Whether you pick a display model or not isn't that important. But, get protected. Odds of something happening are very low but if it happens new microwave, TV, airconditioners etc. would be a big bill.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
I too have the EMS-LCHW50 installed. I don't think the display does anything special for me though its nice to see how many amps I'm drawing when first connected. It has stopped me from using one power riser at a fairgrounds. Upon returning to that same fairgrounds I saw that riser and parking space closed off, I've also had the power shut down temporarily as well. Whether you pick a display model or not isn't that important. But, get protected. Odds of something happening are very low but if it happens new microwave, TV, airconditioners etc. would be a big bill.
Worth every penny and is all automatic.
I also like it if you get hit by lightning it will blow the special MOV board inside which can be replaced without sending the whole thing in to the manuf. as other companies do. It is a plug and play board.

Just like it found a bad power pole in the campground. How many plugged in previously and may have caused damage?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Progressive Industries

We've been using the EMS-HW50C unit from Progressive Industries since getting our motorhome. In fact, it was the first accessory we purchased. Over the years, we've seen all kinds of power fluctuations that could have caused trouble on board considering how much electronic gadgetry there is these days, and the costs. We use it every time.

Progressive bases there entire company on this kind of product, so I would suggest they know what they're doing. They are NOT "jack of all trades" of an endless supply of gimics. It's money well spent.
I brought the TRC Surge Guard model 34750 (50 amp) SP and don' regret it at all. It has never tripped, but it only takes one time.

This model you show is smaller and probably lighter than mine and I might have considered it if I had it to do over again.

Regardless of what brand you buy, a SP is a wise investment.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

We have the PI EMS HW30C and it works as advertised, although I wish I had gone with Herks recommendation and got the Franks Autoformer for the 2xtra $150.00. at 3 campgrounds this summer we had power bad enough that when we turned the air on it caused the EMS to cut power and we were not even close to 30 amps but the wiring was soo bad in the CG's that the voltage dropped to under 109 a few times. I know the autoformer for 50 amps is alot more but when you spend 100k for a rig 600 bux or so is pretty insignificant.
I would seriously evaluate your options and do more research prior to laying out any green.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
We have the PI EMS HW30C and it works as advertised, although I wish I had gone with Herks recommendation and got the Franks Autoformer for the 2xtra $150.00. at 3 campgrounds this summer we had power bad enough that when we turned the air on it caused the EMS to cut power and we were not even close to 30 amps but the wiring was soo bad in the CG's that the voltage dropped to under 109 a few times. I know the autoformer for 50 amps is alot more but when you spend 100k for a rig 600 bux or so is pretty insignificant.
I would seriously evaluate your options and do more research prior to laying out any green.

Just consider yourself to be the latest member of the "... I wish I had gone with Herks recommendation ..." club. Do not worry - you won't be the last.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #10

Not Apples to Apples

Not Apples to Apples
EMS HW30C and autoformer are two differnet devices.
The Autoformer only boosts power when needed. That's it.
The Progressive device actually monitors and shuts down power before it destroys your systems inside.

Does the Autoformer do this?

Features

• High low voltage protection: Whenever source power falls below 104 Volts, or rise above 132 volts the EMS automatically shut down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.
  • Time delay for A/C Compressor: Whenever source power is interrupted by the source or the EMS, due to a fault condition the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS; one is 136 seconds, and the other is 15 seconds. Consult you Air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in if so use the 15-second delay if not use the 136-second delay
  • 5 Mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-G, L-L, and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3640, response time of <1 nano second.
  • Surge Indicator: If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G The digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.
  • Reverse polarity protection: If source power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.
  • Open neutral protection: If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not light, and will not allow power to the RV.
  • Open ground protection: If source power has an open ground condition the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.
  • AC Frequency Protection: If source power frequency deviants +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.
  • Accidental 220V protection: If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and the appropriate error code.
  • Remote information panel: Scrolls continuously all of the power source information, voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds
  • Previous error code: This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted power to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs and goes away when power is disconnected to the EMS.
  • Bypass switch: This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing source power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS.
  • Modular design Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
  • Microprocessor controlled: The computer, and remote display are driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS. Should ever this software be changed EMS, owners can receive a free upgrade processor with the return of the old.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Not Apples to Apples
EMS HW30C and autoformer are two differnet devices.
The Autoformer only boosts power when needed. That's it.
The Progressive device actually monitors and shuts down power before it destroys your systems inside.

Does the Autoformer do this?

Features

• High low voltage protection: Whenever source power falls below 104 Volts, or rise above 132 volts the EMS automatically shut down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.
  • Time delay for A/C Compressor: Whenever source power is interrupted by the source or the EMS, due to a fault condition the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS; one is 136 seconds, and the other is 15 seconds. Consult you Air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in if so use the 15-second delay if not use the 136-second delay
  • 5 Mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-G, L-L, and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3640, response time of <1 nano second.
  • Surge Indicator: If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G The digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.
  • Reverse polarity protection: If source power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.
  • Open neutral protection: If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not light, and will not allow power to the RV.
  • Open ground protection: If source power has an open ground condition the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.
  • AC Frequency Protection: If source power frequency deviants +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.
  • Accidental 220V protection: If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and the appropriate error code.
  • Remote information panel: Scrolls continuously all of the power source information, voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds
  • Previous error code: This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted power to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs and goes away when power is disconnected to the EMS.
  • Bypass switch: This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing source power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS.
  • Modular design Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
  • Microprocessor controlled: The computer, and remote display are driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS. Should ever this software be changed EMS, owners can receive a free upgrade processor with the return of the old.
Pretty much Iggy,

You should read Herks most excellent writeup on the Franks unit. It does most everything the EMS unit does and more. Or better yet go to the site and have a look yourself.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

My Franks unit saved my bacon again from HIGH voltage.
Yours would have as well.

Will your power monitor FIX your low power?
Mine will...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
I know everyone suggests we should be using a surge protector and I have read a few threads here about them.

Has anyone tried the Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge?

It's on Amazon for less than half the price of the fancier ones with LED displays. This one says it has indicator lights that show there is a good voltage and proper connections. I worry that you get what you pay for and don't want a sense of false security.

I am considering buying it and a 30' extension cord and keeping it in a compartment for protection from moisture and theft.

Bill
No need to put the SSP50 in a compartment or box, it is made to put outside. Also, they make a metal box to put around a surge protector to protect it from theft and it'll be alot cheaper that a 30 ft. extension cord. Also, you can usually lock the electrical box you plug into.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote