Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Stabilizer question

Just set up camp, and for the first time only the front stabalizer are hiting the ground. Usually all 4 adjust but for some reason today only the front ones hit the ground. The coach looks level. Is this normal or should they all be touching the ground.
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2

They should all be touching
Drop the rear jacks by using the manual mode
When you get back carefully level the coach with 4 ft levels in manual mode, get it perfect, then reset the jack system. There are many posts on how to do it, follow them or simply look in the Lippert book that came with the coach, it will tell u there
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. Do I have to pull the slides back in or can I do it with the slides out.
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Levelers

If you do it manually it doesn't matter.
The correct camp setup is to level the coach using a bubble level inside where u can see it to get as close to level as u can get. If I am staying for more than overnight an it is far off I will roll up on boards if needed. Then deploy the self levelers. If they are working right they will level it quickly an without large movements to the coach. Shut the engine off and run the slides out.

If you do it that way you will not stress out the leveling system or the frame, seals, windows, etc on the coach. When u run the slides in and out they will go straight and seal right.

You will see a lot of mail on how the levelers pick wheels off the ground etc. Although it will do that and level the unit I have never been a big fan of over stressing the frame on a 38 foot 22,000 pound $100,000 home i paid for.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htab View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Do I have to pull the slides back in or can I do it with the slides out.
Leveling with the slides out can cause damage. Always put the slides in.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Leveling with the slides out can cause damage. Always put the slides in.

X2 I totally agree. It says that some place but not sure where.
Worth it in the long run.
Never level or re-level with the slides out.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #7

After seeing your comments I have to agree. I have never re-leveled with the slides out but I was thinking doing it manually might be slow enough to not damage the piston,,,,, but,,, in retrospect I agree that it is not a good idea.