Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Stain on vinyl ceiling

Hello, I am thinking about purchasing a 2011 Forest River Georgetown 373, I love it, but there is a stain on the vinyl ceiling, it is on the front passenger side ( not near the AC) I tried to clean it with Clorox wipes, but not working. Not sure if it's water damage, or mold, or something else. The dealership said they would seal the roof. To me a stain on the ceiling, makes resale very difficult when I would choose to sell or trade in. If anyone has any input that would be great. Trying to add photo, but not working

Thanks

Jeff
Jrt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If there is a stain on the ceiling that there was a leak, unless you are sure they fixed it I would look for another rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Unfortunately not sure if it's water or not, don't know why I can't post a photo
Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Stain on vinyl ceiling

Very slight stain on mine as well. 2801, not Georgetown. Not likely a leak since I had it pressure tested, but I cannot remove it. Barely visible at this point.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:39 AM   #5

I have had some very small growing brown spots on the ceiling of my 2015 335DS. They are definitely not leaks and started mostly in the front two panels. They are randomly distributed and never bigger than 1/4". I think that something is leaching through the covering from the glue used to make the ceiling panels. Seems nothing will remove them. If there is one in a panel there will be more over time. Most of my panels have none.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

Something I had not considered because we are talking RV here and not boats is that if the covering is vinyl it may be the chemicals leaching out of the vinyl (the reason boat seats turn colors and can't be cleaned off) This just a WAG on my part.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

I know that it is not water since when I put my Winegard satellite system in, the 1-3/4 inch plug that I drilled out had a mark, but the back of the plywood was clean and dry and showed no sign of anything.

2015 335DS
Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #8

There are many posts on youtube about cleaning vinyl also if they fail check with furniture stores or auto detail shops about vinyl re-dyeing.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Stain on my ceiling

I have a bunch of discolored stains on my ceiling as well... tried using Mr Clean, but it wouldn't come off. Any ideas on how to remove would be great. They are not water stains... almost like orange, red... not sure what it is. Thanks u!
philthy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

Ceiling Stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrt13 View Post
Hello, I am thinking about purchasing a 2011 Forest River Georgetown 373, I love it, but there is a stain on the vinyl ceiling, it is on the front passenger side ( not near the AC) I tried to clean it with Clorox wipes, but not working. Not sure if it's water damage, or mold, or something else. The dealership said they would seal the roof. To me a stain on the ceiling, makes resale very difficult when I would choose to sell or trade in. If anyone has any input that would be great. Trying to add photo, but not working

Thanks

Jeff
I have had three RVs the latest of which is a 2013 Georgetown and they all have eventually developed small stains randomly positioned in the ceilings that can't be removed. My roof has no leaks so I too think it's some kind of solvent coming through the vinyl. I try to just ignore them but it would be nice if something could be done about them.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I have had three RVs the latest of which is a 2013 Georgetown and they all have eventually developed small stains randomly positioned in the ceilings that can't be removed. My roof has no leaks so I too think it's some kind of solvent coming through the vinyl. I try to just ignore them but it would be nice if something could be done about them.
Can you post a picture of them, every time I try to post the photo it does not upload it

Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #12

Ceiling Stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrt13 View Post
Can you post a picture of them, every time I try to post the photo it does not upload it

Thanks
I have not photographed them but I will and try to get back to you.

I would describe them as small, irregular patches that are a light butterscotch shade against the ceiling's tannish-off-white color.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #13

The pinkish color is from the vinyl getting wet or having high moisture above it. Either there is or was a leak or there is excessive moisture there. Look it up some vinyl turns pinkish color when exposed to moisture for a long time. I had a leak in the back corner of bedroom. I didn't notice a small crack between the cap and body. Had to remove the pinkish colored panel and put a new one on, all good now. Really got to check roof carefully.
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #14

RE: Posting a photo.
1. Click on the "paper clip" top center of gray just to right of the happy face.
2. "Choose file" appears. Expand this window by clicking on the little square in top left corner.
3. Select the photo from your album you want to publish and click it open.
4. The jpeg will number will appear in the first "Choose File"
5. At the far right of the screen is a box titled "Upload" click on it at it will take a very long time to do the upload, but it will.
6. Once that is done, you can go back to "Choose file", click on the second one and repeat the process.

As for the spots, many others here have had the same issues and do not contribute this to water intrusion. If you can determine these are not water spots or mold, you may choose to use Kilz to seal the spots, then use a quality latex paint to do the ceiling. If you choose to take this route, just be absolutely certain it is not a water leak.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #15

Stain on vinyl ceiling

On my 2105 335DS I have noticed these spots appearing over the last year or so. Starting up front and now on the first two overhead panels. They are not water spots and look like something that got on the panels during manufacturing that has discolored. Looking closely they are shiny and might be glue or something. I will carefully try lacquer thinner to see if they can be removed. Nothing water based will touch them.

I'll let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_115905.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	123679   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_115912.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	123680   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_115928.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	123681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waste Rework.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	123682  

2015 335DS
Old 10-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
On my 2105 335DS I have noticed these spots appearing over the last year or so. Starting up front and now on the first two overhead panels. They are not water spots and look like something that got on the panels during manufacturing that has discolored. Looking closely they are shiny and might be glue or something. I will carefully try lacquer thinner to see if they can be removed. Nothing water based will touch them.

I'll let you know.
Our Sunseeker had similar spots when we were doing the walk though. The sales person went to the shop, got a chemical and rubbed it off no problem. Don't recall what the product was, but it cut through with little effort. Possible that something like Glue-Be-Gone would work.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post

I'll let you know.

This is definitely external caused stains, I just replaced my ceiling in the drivers area due to water stains, yours are not it. I also had a stain on my vinyl ceiling in another area and other random stains on the dash, seats, etc., and also had no luck removing them. By chance I was trying to get a sticker off of something and had some goo-gone on a rag and said what the heck, and tried it. Was shocked, it took the stain off. I have tried the goo-gone on various stains on the vinyl; ink, grease, darned if I know what spots; and the goo-gone has worked on all of them. You might try it, wouldn't hurt. Good luck with it.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #18

my stain looks different then that, yay finally got the photo to work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	123758  
Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #19

Jrt13, I have very similar stains on my ceiling as well above the passenger front seat. Checked for wetness under the surround sound ceiling speaker and everything was dry. Don't get any leaks either. I too can't figure out what it is and I tried a bunch of stuff to clean it to no avail. Did make a note of the Goo Gone that was suggested, but I've resigned myself to the thought that nothing will clean it. So that being said it doesn't matter until we would sell the rig and at that time I will try a "soft" so to speak paint over.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #20

OK...I tried Goo Gone, no joy. However, lacquer thinner works. Didn't use too much yet, but it doesn't seem to bother the vinyl surface and sometimes the stain stays in the grooves in the fake leather pattern. Didn't soften it though.

On closing up and walking out I glanced up at the A/C louvers and you look up through them and see the parallel lines of adhesive that they use to bond the styrofoam roof insulation together. Yep...streaks of yellow adhesive, that is probably what it it is. Only thing is that it takes a year or so for it to become visible on the vinyl. lacquer thinner isn't too bad as long as I don't put so much on to weaken the adhesive or soften it.

2015 335DS