Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
WI Sports Nut

Stairs not Working

All:

Anybody have any ideas for fixes for my stairs that are not coming down when the door opens? The light for the stairs comes on, so the door switch seems to be working. I checked all my fuses, in the coach, they are good. Did a motor burn out possibly?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Mine won't work either!

Newbie here, been reading a lot but now we have the same problem. MBS Sprinter Sunseeker 2401W. Step light comes on, if we place a magnet over the switch we hear a click it seems the motor is froze. Is there a way to deploy the steps so we can access the motor to check it out / remove it. We appreciate your help...
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Check the RED breaker switch by the house battery compartment under the stairs that is the usual suspect. If not I would suspect the motor which is not difficult to replace. Remove the old motor and take it to a NAPA. It's a Ford window motor.
JW DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #4
WI Sports Nut

JW, I saw a red switch that said something about "thermal breaker", is that the one? It looked like it might have been extended out now that I think about it... Thks for the help!!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
WI Sports Nut

Ok I reset the red breaker, no luck. That breaker was for 120 amp service so for probably the whole coach. I will try the motor next, but how do I get the stairs down so I can get at the motor??
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

That red breaker is for your levelers/slide outs. The fuse for the steps is a 25amp inline fuse connected to your coach batteries (check that it is not blown). With the door open see if you can push the steps out. Pull that 25amp fuse and see if you can forcibly push the steps out to gain access to the motor. Not sure it can be done though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #7

prop the steps up, remove the bolt from the turnbuckle between the steps and motor gear, thay will come down easily, not too heavy
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
prop the steps up, remove the bolt from the turnbuckle between the steps and motor gear, thay will come down easily, not too heavy
I thought the OP had Kwikee steps but if they are Lippert that sounds about right.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
WI Sports Nut

Here is how i solved it guys! I went to the LCI website for info and found that my stairs have a recall on them! Getting new stairs lol!! Thanks for all the advice tho, that's what love about this forum, everybody rocks!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljuw89 View Post
Here is how i solved it guys! I went to the LCI website for info and found that my stairs have a recall on them! Getting new stairs lol!! Thanks for all the advice tho, that's what love about this forum, everybody rocks!
That's great but the recall was for a kit to be installed that would prevent the steps from collapsing when the pivot bolt broke. If you were told you would get new steps (Kwikee) that may tick a lot of people off, including me. Good for you.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
WI Sports Nut

Oh good point bubbles, I need to clarify what they are doing on the recall! Not sure what the scope is.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #12
WI Sports Nut

Ok you can plan to not be mad at me! Lol! You were right, it's not a entire replacement, it's a bolt and support bar issue. Good catch!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

I dealt with this issue at last year's rally and I also had the recall work done. My problem turned out to be weak house batteries. Replaced the batteries and haven't had an issue.
Ol Poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
WI Sports Nut

Hey all, update here. It was the motor. Had it replaced and got the recall done, back in service! But even the guys at the shop didn't know how to get the stairs down! Forgot to ask them how they did it...