Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #21

I use this one. It does more than surge protection. It has served me well. Surge Guard 30 Amp, Hardwired - TRC 35530 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #22
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Who installed the unit?
Warranty covers the unit if installed by an RV Dealer.
In respect to what you wrote the L1 and L2 loads are reversed because whomever installed it reversed the Red and black wire.
That shouldn't damage anything on your unit.

Now you haven't said where and why you blew two circuit boards?
Were you at a campground with bad power or lightening?
The replaceable circuit board with the MOV on it is designed to protect your rig from power spikes from lightening.

Please clarify your statement please.

I have had Progressive Industries hardwired units in my last 5th wheel as well as my present motorhome and with the amount of travelling I do I have never had it fail. It is a 50 amp version and I installed it myself. I am a Master Electrician and anyone can do it.

Hope to hear more details soon.

Oh the Autoformer is not the same thing as the Progressive Units.
That unit steps up power up to 10% when low but all the rest is just generic leds that tells you power is good or bad.
The progressive Ind. Unit checks high, low voltages, reverse polarity, Open neutral, etc before the contactor closes and gives you power.
The Autoformers doesn't do that.

Looking forward in hearing from you all.

I love my hardwired Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50
It does it all.
Product Features:
  • Over/Under voltage Protection
  • Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
  • Accidental 240V Protection
  • Miswired Pedestal Indication
  • Surge Failure Indicator
  • Amperage Meter Display
  • Previous Error Code
  • A/C Frequency Protection
  • Time Delay (136 seconds)
  • Adjustable Time Delay
  • Thermally Protected
  • Built-in Scrolling Digital Display
  • Remote Display
  • Field Serviceable
  • UL Certified and Canadian Approved
  • Lifetime Warranty (as on website today)
  • Made in the USA
  • Surge Protection: 5-Mode / 3,580 Joules and max Amps Surge of 88,000A

IGGY, the last line in the warranty now states "All acts of God and/or natural disasters including, but not limited to lightning damage, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes".

That statement alone disputes the claim you make that it protects from lightning damage. So if your unit is damaged by a lightning strike then they will only fix it at a charge to you.

I read it as a way to get more sales and for you to buy a new EMS. It's the throw-a -way mentality corporations have these days.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
IGGY, the last line in the warranty now states "All acts of God and/or natural disasters including, but not limited to lightning damage, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes".

That statement alone disputes the claim you make that it protects from lightning damage. So if your unit is damaged by a lightning strike then they will only fix it at a charge to you.

I read it as a way to get more sales and for you to buy a new EMS. It's the throw-a -way mentality corporations have these days.

I'm not sure if you read the original warranty when you got it but that's the same verbiage that's always been in there. I just pulled out my warranty card I got with my 30 amp unit bought over 2 years ago. "Acts of god" not covered same verbiage ...

Everyone seems to be making a big deal out of the OPs misinformation or we are not getting the whole story here. As stated earlier their website still says lifetime warranty, I called because I'm about to upgrade, was told the same thing on the phone, they still have the lifetime warranty, the only "newer" update is they have a disclaimer saying the EMS is not compatible with the Yamaha 2k and use with the Yamaha genny voids the lifetime warranty. It's on their website.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #24

My questions on this issue:
1. Does someone else make a better EMS? This will be an EMS that provides the same or better list of issues protected against.
2. Does someone else make an equivalent unit with a better warranty?
3. Has a PI unit failed to provide the advertised protections?

My understanding is that the PI units are the best EMS's on the market. That said, unless there is a better one out there, why are you saying "Stay away from Progressive Industries Surge". They do what they are advertised to do.

I will agree that to whatever extent the downgrade of the warranty is realized, that is a "bummer". But a down-graded warranty isn't a reason to stay away from them. If you "stay away" from the PI units - who do you recommend?

And as far as "lifetime" warranties - I generally laugh at them. You are out of luck if the company goes out of business...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I'm not sure if you read the original warranty when you got it but that's the same verbiage that's always been in there. I just pulled out my warranty card I got with my 30 amp unit bought over 2 years ago. "Acts of god" not covered same verbiage ...

Everyone seems to be making a big deal out of the OPs misinformation or we are not getting the whole story here. As stated earlier their website still says lifetime warranty, I called because I'm about to upgrade, was told the same thing on the phone, they still have the lifetime warranty, the only "newer" update is they have a disclaimer saying the EMS is not compatible with the Yamaha 2k and use with the Yamaha genny voids the lifetime warranty. It's on their website.
X2 The harmonics out of the Yamaha will also fry other components too! Be Careful.

For the wire your own plug that is to bound Neutral (usually white) to ground (usually green) to fool the EMS into Error free operation.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #26

Quote:

Why does Yamaha gen void the warrenty?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #27

Stay away from Progressive Industries Surge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post

On PI website they state "that Yamaha 2ks don't put out pure sine wave and the EMS relies on pure sine wave to work properly"

I don't pretend to know or understand exactly what's going on internally regarding sine wave, this is just what the website says

It's under the "disclaimer" section in PIs website

Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #28
Site Team

Not having the product, so as to not know what the warranty was, I used one of my favorite websites called wayback.org. They take snapshots of the web, and you can go back in time and find stuff from years ago sometimes. I used it to find the PI warranty from Dec 2014. Here is a screenshot of it, so the members may be able to compare it with what is currently offered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	progressivewrrantydec2014.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	151788  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #29

Stay away from Progressive Industries Surge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not having the product, so as to not know what the warranty was, I used one of my favorite websites called wayback.org. They take snapshots of the web, and you can go back in time and find stuff from years ago sometimes. I used it to find the PI warranty from Dec 2014. Here is a screenshot of it, so the members may be able to compare it with what is currently offered.

That's even different from my 2015 warranty card. InterestingClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3506.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	151789

Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #30

If I'm reading correctly I don't see the requirement of install by rv dealer or the act of God exclusion (other than floods.)

I don't plan to panic over this thread, and still consider PI to be an excellent product. But I do expect them to honor the warranty in effect when I bought it, if ever needed.

Thanks for posting this!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #31

Apparently it is just one model of the 2000 Yamahas that does this and only under start up load where the output is not a pure sinewave.

If you have a Yamaha 2000 you would need to talk to Progressive to make sure your particular model is the problem one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
I use this one. It does more than surge protection. It has served me well. Surge Guard 30 Amp, Hardwired - TRC 35530 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
I use two Yamaha 2000's in parallel with mine and have never had an issue.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
I use two Yamaha 2000's in parallel with mine and have never had an issue.

Truth be told I used my PI with my parallel yamahas (same model called on PIs website) with Edison plug for two years and never had a single issue

Old 09-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Truth be told I used my PI with my parallel yamahas (same model called on PIs website) with Edison plug for two years and never had a single issue
My bet is that in parallel they don't get in the overload condition.

Unless you are the engineer that designed the EMS, probably all guesses what the true cause is.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My bet is that in parallel they don't get in the overload condition.

That makes sense. I'm never used it with a single gen

Old 09-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #36

Too bad, we bought ours 5 yrs ago and I know it has saved us several times. We also just bought the Hughes Autoformer with surge protector for a new rv but haven't installed it yet.
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #37
Just as confused as you

The acts of god verbiage never specifically said anything about lightning strikes. And the installation instructions only recommended that the unit be installed by a qualified electrician, it wasn't required to be installed by a qualified RV electrician.

If I remember correctly someone on these forums had gotten the MOV portion of their EMS replaced for free after a lightning strike on the power lines that came into cg. That was one of the deciding factors when I was researching why I bought my EMS-HW30C in early 2014. There were different installation instructions for the EMS-HW30C and EMS-HW50C. They both weren't included on the same manual.

Here is a pic of my warranty:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170918_210829573_TOP.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	151791  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The acts of god verbiage never specifically said anything about lightning strikes. And the installation instructions only recommended that the unit be installed by a qualified electrician, it wasn't required to be installed by a qualified RV electrician.

If I remember correctly someone on these forums had gotten the MOV portion of their EMS replaced for free after a lightning strike on the power lines that came into cg. That was one of the deciding factors when I was researching why I bought my EMS-HW30C in early 2014. There were different installation instructions for the EMS-HW30C and EMS-HW50C. They both weren't included on the same manual.

Here is a pic of my warranty:

You have the same booklet as me. From what I was told by PI (back in 2015) was acts of God weren't covered but they never turned down a claim because of it. I too made the decision on the PI because numerous people said the same and one guy on here somewhere admitted to running it over and PI still fixed at no charge.

I'm still a believer in the product and even if there was no warranty I'd still buy it and use it because it's simply the best ems on the market in my opinion. My truck doesn't have a lifetime warranty and I bought it, my XLR doesn't a lifetime warranty I bought it, my cell phone only has a 1 year warranty and bought that too.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #39
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
CLICK ME

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 AM   #40
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbride56 View Post
I had a progressive surge protector before and was not happy that it did not compensate for low voltage.

For my new MH I purchased the Hughes Autoformer voltage booster which now includes surge protection https://hughesautoformers.com/.

I have been camping at RV parks all summer and was surprised and amazed at just how many times the unit was boosting voltage. I am very pleased with it.
FYI: I purchased the pigtail and plug adapter to wire inside my basement compartment where the Transfer Switch is located so that it was protected from weather and thieves.
Nothing's perfect. I need to contact Hughes as mine pushes me into over-voltage territory showing 130+ volts at times.