Old 05-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer and rear stabil. bar for 270

Has anyone modified the Georgetown 270S chassis to obtain better handling? I specifically have a 2015 270S on a 2014 Ford E350 chassis. I received part numbers from a place out in Washington State (Brazel's RV Performance) but they only say they apply to E350 model years up to 2004. I'm confused. I just need a steering stabilizer and rear stabilizer bar that performs as it should. Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #2

Is your MH built on the ford f-53 chassie? I have a georgetown 328. I had a stabilizer put on the steering and a 2nd anti-sway bar added to the rear. It made alot of difference.
I am fairly new at this but here is some of the terminology that I have come up with.

Stabilizer attaches to the steering arm and the frame.Works like a shock to prevent sudden & quick movement of the steering likeyou would have with a blowout on the front of the vehicle, hitting a chuckholeor ruts in the pavement. It is a safety device.

TRACK BAR attaches to the frame and the axel to keepthe body and the wheels tracking together but still allows up & downmovement. With only the shocks and springs attaching the frame to the wheelsthere is lateral movement between the two.

SWAY BAR(ANTI-SWAYBAR) attaches to axel & frame to keep the body from leaning too far offthe wheels . Stops the feeling that you are going to roll over.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

There are other threads out here that talk about this subject. search for sway bars or stabilizers.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

I am sorry, I read your post again and see you said 350.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
TAG

I just recently bought a 270s and am looking to reduce/eliminate sway and improve steering. I have camping world getting back to me on an Ultra-Track for the rear end, Bilstein's to replace the stock shocks and a Safe-T-Plus for the front end....thinking these upgrades will significantly improve the ride based on what I have read in various posts. Am I on the right track with my thinking? Was wondering what your choices were and how they worked out. Thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

Looked up at forest river it has the F-53 chassis, did you do the cheap handling fix yet? Take a good look at the Koni shocks, yes more money but you get what you pay for. Track bar is a plus, good shocks another big plus, steering stabilizer in (my opinion only) not needed on a newer coach. Just got back from out west, ran into some 40 to 45 mph crosswind, Hang on cause there is nothing that will cure that. I have the Koni RV FSD shocks and track bar and CHF done, other than that wind it drove like a dream.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
TAG

Thanks for the reply. Will look at the Koni shocks per your recommendation. Appreciate the feedback! LOL on the crosswinds info.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Looked up at forest river it has the F-53 chassis, did you do the cheap handling fix yet? Take a good look at the Koni shocks, yes more money but you get what you pay for. Track bar is a plus, good shocks another big plus, steering stabilizer in (my opinion only) not needed on a newer coach. Just got back from out west, ran into some 40 to 45 mph crosswind, Hang on cause there is nothing that will cure that. I have the Koni RV FSD shocks and track bar and CHF done, other than that wind it drove like a dream.
I don't thing the age of a MH has any thing to do with wheather it should have a steering stabilizer or not. my understanding is that it helps to control the MH if you hit a pot hole or have a blowout or ruts in the road.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

I bought the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer this summer at about $200 less than Safe-T Plus and it does the exact same thing from a good name in the industry. Stabilizers do help in strong cross winds, hence the name "steering stabilizer"
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #10

(my opinion only)
What did you not understand? I didn't say they don't work. I said I feel they are not necessary on a newer motorhome where everything should still be tight being new. Mine is an 06 kept well maintained with 37000 miles on it and driven one handed no matter if there is a breeze blowing or a semi passing, I feel I do not need one. Maybe if you have a worn steering box with slop or worn front end parts but not if everything is new or maintained up to snuff.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote