Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer and rear stabil. bar for 270

Has anyone modified the Georgetown 270S chassis to obtain better handling? I specifically have a 2015 270S on a 2014 Ford E350 chassis. I received part numbers from a place out in Washington State (Brazel's RV Performance) but they only say they apply to E350 model years up to 2004. I'm confused. I just need a steering stabilizer and rear stabilizer bar that performs as it should. Thanks
gapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Is your MH built on the ford f-53 chassie? I have a georgetown 328. I had a stabilizer put on the steering and a 2nd anti-sway bar added to the rear. It made alot of difference.
I am fairly new at this but here is some of the terminology that I have come up with.

Stabilizer attaches to the steering arm and the frame.Works like a shock to prevent sudden & quick movement of the steering likeyou would have with a blowout on the front of the vehicle, hitting a chuckholeor ruts in the pavement. It is a safety device.

TRACK BAR attaches to the frame and the axel to keepthe body and the wheels tracking together but still allows up & downmovement. With only the shocks and springs attaching the frame to the wheelsthere is lateral movement between the two.

SWAY BAR(ANTI-SWAYBAR) attaches to axel & frame to keep the body from leaning too far offthe wheels . Stops the feeling that you are going to roll over.
gunn1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

There are other threads out here that talk about this subject. search for sway bars or stabilizers.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

I am sorry, I read your post again and see you said 350.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
TAG

I just recently bought a 270s and am looking to reduce/eliminate sway and improve steering. I have camping world getting back to me on an Ultra-Track for the rear end, Bilstein's to replace the stock shocks and a Safe-T-Plus for the front end....thinking these upgrades will significantly improve the ride based on what I have read in various posts. Am I on the right track with my thinking? Was wondering what your choices were and how they worked out. Thanks
TAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

Looked up at forest river it has the F-53 chassis, did you do the cheap handling fix yet? Take a good look at the Koni shocks, yes more money but you get what you pay for. Track bar is a plus, good shocks another big plus, steering stabilizer in (my opinion only) not needed on a newer coach. Just got back from out west, ran into some 40 to 45 mph crosswind, Hang on cause there is nothing that will cure that. I have the Koni RV FSD shocks and track bar and CHF done, other than that wind it drove like a dream.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
TAG

Thanks for the reply. Will look at the Koni shocks per your recommendation. Appreciate the feedback! LOL on the crosswinds info.
TAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Looked up at forest river it has the F-53 chassis, did you do the cheap handling fix yet? Take a good look at the Koni shocks, yes more money but you get what you pay for. Track bar is a plus, good shocks another big plus, steering stabilizer in (my opinion only) not needed on a newer coach. Just got back from out west, ran into some 40 to 45 mph crosswind, Hang on cause there is nothing that will cure that. I have the Koni RV FSD shocks and track bar and CHF done, other than that wind it drove like a dream.
I don't thing the age of a MH has any thing to do with wheather it should have a steering stabilizer or not. my understanding is that it helps to control the MH if you hit a pot hole or have a blowout or ruts in the road.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

I bought the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer this summer at about $200 less than Safe-T Plus and it does the exact same thing from a good name in the industry. Stabilizers do help in strong cross winds, hence the name "steering stabilizer"
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

(my opinion only)
What did you not understand? I didn't say they don't work. I said I feel they are not necessary on a newer motorhome where everything should still be tight being new. Mine is an 06 kept well maintained with 37000 miles on it and driven one handed no matter if there is a breeze blowing or a semi passing, I feel I do not need one. Maybe if you have a worn steering box with slop or worn front end parts but not if everything is new or maintained up to snuff.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

New coach or older they do make a difference especially if someone would experience a front tire blow out. Also anyone that has experience driving any model of Ford trucks will feel that vague lightness to the steering in comparison to say a GM. That is at least one reason why so many preferred the Workhorse chassis when it was available over the Ford. All things considered though I too have zero problems with the way the F-53 handles or the power of the V10.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

well then there must be something wrong with mine, it handles like crap, and I have had the front aligned, greased, tire pressure checked, and still feels squirly, so I am adding the safe-t-plus this time since I have the coaches door being replaced, and all the warranty work done, should be ready this week I was told

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
All things considered though I too have zero problems with the way the F-53 handles or the power of the V10.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #13

I just put all new tires on my MH. Now it seems to wander all over the road. Any thoughts on that?

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MarkAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #14

MarkAnne
I would get a front end alignment my MH had the exact same problem. i would be all over the place . Now after them doing the alignment its tight again
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #15

I have the same unit. Added a Super Steer track bar and it really helped. I also did the CHF at the front and it seem to help as well. Watch the tire pressures. I shifted to 92 pounds per wheel and that made it handle better.

Still fun in the wind, but better than my 37 foot faster that we traded.

Dave

David & Michelle
270 Georgetown Motorhome
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #16

Ditto on the alignment. On my last rig it too wandered all over the place. After an alignment that they "bent" the frame they added all new U-bolts etc. and it drove like a dream, straight and true.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Forgot to stay step one. Alignment. Mine was significant out such that the front tires were badly worn from the delivery from Indiana. Still waiting for the direction from the dealer on that claim.

Dave

David & Michelle
270 Georgetown Motorhome
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
well then there must be something wrong with mine, it handles like crap, and I have had the front aligned, greased, tire pressure checked, and still feels squirly, so I am adding the safe-t-plus this time since I have the coaches door being replaced, and all the warranty work done, should be ready this week I was told
You havent mentioned what you have done so far. By adding parts you are only compensating for the problem which down the road will bite you in the butt. To start with take your front axle max weight single tires look up your tire chart and inflate for max on front now do the same for the rear with duels. Mine maxes out at 22000 and by the Toyo inflation chart I run 80 lbs all the way around. When I picked it up from the tire shop they had put 105 lbs in all and it wandered all over till I dropped to the chart pressure. Try it you might like it.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #19

getting rid of my new 270s

We took a total of 3 trips in it. I started this original post about adding the sway bar. This coach is not for us. My wife will not get in it anymore. It is noisy and still handles like crap. I pick up the new one tomorrow. It is a 2016 Forrester MBS 2401r. My wife was not comfortable driving the Georgetown esp on interstates like 285 through Atlanta Ga. We feel this will be better for us plus the gas mileage will be a whole lot better.
gapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
(my opinion only)
What did you not understand? I didn't say they don't work. I said I feel they are not necessary on a newer motorhome where everything should still be tight being new. Mine is an 06 kept well maintained with 37000 miles on it and driven one handed no matter if there is a breeze blowing or a semi passing, I feel I do not need one. Maybe if you have a worn steering box with slop or worn front end parts but not if everything is new or maintained up to snuff.
MY OPINION ONLY
What did you not underdtand i belive a MH needs the steering stablilizer wheather it is new or old.