Old 03-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer "clunk" on 2015 364TS

Just picked up my 364TS after having the dealer install a front Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer in an attempt to deal with significant sway. However, while driving 40 miles back home, I heard a distinctive "clunk" every time I turned a corner in either direction. Otherwise, there was no noise while driving. Roadmaster tech rep recommended taking back to the dealer. That concerns me since dealer is the one who installed it in the first place. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like someone forgot to tighten something up to me.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #3

Steering stabilizer is on my todo list!

After you get the stabilizer sorted out if you haven't had a alignment then you NEED one, Forest River will pay for it.

If you don't have the "cheap handling fix" take a look at this thread.

Cheap Handling Fix

If you can't DIY the alignment shop will do it for you, maybe for free, that's why it's called "CHF".

ab&jb
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Just picked up my 364TS after having the dealer install a front Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer in an attempt to deal with significant sway. However, while driving 40 miles back home, I heard a distinctive "clunk" every time I turned a corner in either direction. Otherwise, there was no noise while driving. Roadmaster tech rep recommended taking back to the dealer. That concerns me since dealer is the one who installed it in the first place. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any update? Was it repaired and most importantly has it made a difference?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

I was just watching a video about steering stabilizers last night. I would be interested in knowing if you notice a big difference.

Would also like to know the outcome of the clunking sound fix.

Fantastic husband, 2 daughters, 2 foster sons and 3 pups
http://worldofweeks.com/
2xaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

I've got Roadmaster too on a shorter F53 chassis...no clunks in any case.
I bought it for safety (blowouts) and to smooth out the ride a bit. It works but does not make a huge change in handling except when a big rig passes or I'm driving over 60 in winds. Just normally fewer minor steering adjustments per minute so a more relaxing drive.
If you have significant sway problems...I would think the CHF and/or a rear anti-sway bar would be better choices than the roadmaster which is not really designed for that. I'd get another roadmaster dealer to look at it anyway since something is wrong. I had mine done at a Camping World...any of those should be familiar with proper installation.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #7

Front end

Our class A 377 pulls to one side, it only has 3000 miles so far who do you contact at FR . Any ideas
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #8

emptynest,
First thing to check is the tire pressures and make sure they are equal in both front tires, and make sure all the rear tires are equal. Front to rear might be different based on weights. Park the unit in a level and flat parking lot and look for any signs of a lean from on side or the other. If possible lift the front wheels off the ground and check for a brake that might be dragging or a bearing that is to tight. Last would be to have a front end alignment done.

By any chance have you had the unit weighted to make sure you do not have one side loaded heavier than the other side.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

I installed the Roadmaster unit on our Coachmen Pursuit and found that it along with the cheap handling fix made a big difference on our trip from Buffalo, NY to Tampa, FL last week. The unit had the front end aligned when it was new, because it was way off.

Followed by the cheap handling fix on both the front and rear.

On our unit with the 208" wheel base it was a big improvement. No more sawing the wheel back and forth. Still might look at Koni shocks or Sumo springs.

As far as noise from the Roadmaster unit. When it is in the relaxed or centered position if you can get a slight spring noise as it bounces against the shock tube. Hard to hear over every thing else that is rattling around on the rough roads.

Good luck
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #10

Agree with RG....would add that you should inspect the tread of the front tires to see if there is any unusual wear pattern that would indicate the need for an alignment.
Wear in center of tread OR on both edges...indicates over and under inflation.
Wear on ONE edge of tire indicates alignment issue (with possible front end component compllicity) as does any scalloping on the edges.
With only 3000 miles on the coach...you'll probably have to look closely unless it is a gross problem. Good luck!

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote