Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer recommendation?

Been doing some research and have it limited down to two stabilizers for our 351DS. wondering how many out there have one and what brand? Pros cons? TIA.
Jwdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

I put the Safe-T-Plus on my Forester. Amazing improvement in driveability.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

+Caster, the natural steering stabilizer

Some MHs have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Chassis suppliers ship all chassis with an identical caster setting, "one size fits all".

The RV builder never changes the set caster, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Some MHs have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Chassis suppliers ship all chassis with an identical caster setting, "one size fits all".

The RV builder never changes the set caster, ...
I was told that Forest River now performs a front end alignment on the Georgetown series as part of the final build process. I'm asking for a copy of the alignment sheet and weighing sheet but I obviously do not know whether I'll get it. When we test drove our GT5 I could take my hands off the steering wheel for several seconds on the interstate and it tracked straight. For whatever a sample size of one is worth, of course.

In contrast, a 2019 Winnebago Vista LX 35F was literally all over the road.

That being said, we are having a Safe-T-Plus installed anyway and i should be able to report the results within a week. We're installing it for its purported value in the event of a tire failure and I'm hoping it (somehow) helps with the fact that I felt every bump in the road through the steering wheel. (Perhaps this is why some people install after-market padded steering wheel covers?).

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Steering stabilizer

I put on one the last 2 campers wall wort the money. it took out half of the sloop out of the steering. it's wreath the money'

Jrush
john rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

I installed the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer on my 3010DS. Helped a lot, but had the front end aligned to specs posted on the forum. Do a search for Ford E450 custom alignment specs. Post #1 by BCLEMENS has a pdf with what specs your unit should be set to. Make sure you check with the mechanic who will be doing the work. I did and he saved me over $75 by NOT using the adjustable bushings indicated in some threads.
My Sunseeker now drives like I want it - no sawing on the wheel and straight down the road.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Just as a side note, adding a trac bar also helps keep the unit steady in curves, wind and the occasional 18-wheeler zooming past. Makes for a more enjoyable drive.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Get it aligned at a truck shop and get the caster set. Set the tire pressures for your weight, then drive it and see if you need to do more.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

Steering stabilizer

After installing both front and rear stabilizers (at the dealers suggestion), my 31L5 still wanders at highway speed. After talking to a number of friends, two of which drive over the road trucks, I called a semi-truck tire and alignment center. The owner told me I waisted my money on the stabilizers. He said he can fine tune the alignment and make my GT ride like an automobile. My next task is to take the unit in to him. I'll post the results.
Homerduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

I am using Blue OX TruCenter Steering Control, easy to install, do not have to calibrate during installation, can adjust the steering control on-the-fly with a push-of-the-button as road condition change. Works great but cost twice as much compare to the other model.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #11

I have the Safe T Plus and it is a huge improvement over stock...especially with passing trucks and cross winds.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post

The RV builder never changes the set caster, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Very interesting, thank for sharing the info.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer