Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizers

Do you get a lot of left/right buffeting on your RV?

I found on our first trip, I used a lot of arm power keeping the rig straight especially when being passed by trucks.

When a truck gets to my left side rear the RV pushes to the right due to the built up air pressure in front of the truck. Then as the truck is along side of me the rig wants to pull to the left because of the low pressure between us.

I know cars have a shock absorber like device usually on the steering linkage between both wheels to minimize quick side to side moves and wonder if this is common on Class A's.

Rig: 2014 Georgetown
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #2

Safe t plus
Don
Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

I doubt that a steering stabilizer is going to help with what you described. Stabilizers help to center the wheel and stop the shimmy associated with hitting bumps and uneven roads. You know what coming so start taking corrective action a little sooner, meaning you know your going to get pushed move over a little to reduce the amount of push etc.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Yes safe t plus helps that and a rear track bar. I can one hand drive to Florida and back
for years now. Also did an alignment.
Don
Old 07-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Yes safe t plus helps that and a rear track bar. I can one hand drive to Florida and back
for years now. Also did an alignment.
Don
Thanks Don, I'll check this out as this is the first time my arms have ever been sore from driving.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I doubt that a steering stabilizer is going to help with what you described. Stabilizers help to center the wheel and stop the shimmy associated with hitting bumps and uneven roads. You know what coming so start taking corrective action a little sooner, meaning you know your going to get pushed move over a little to reduce the amount of push etc.
Good thoughts on preemptive steering.

In one construction zone, I had to be the only one doing the 55mph limit, a Winnebago hauling a construction trailer blew by me when the lanes were very narrow and the construction trailer got sucked towards me and almost removed my mirrors. My rig wanted to become part of the Winnebago.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

Stabilizer/swaybar

I have a 329DS and could not drive the thing in any cross wind and if a 18 wheeler passed me at the time when cross winds where blowing I was white knuckle driving. Got a front end alignment and installed a Safe T stabilizer and a Road Runner rear swaybar and much better difference, I still get pushed when cross winds are high but much much better.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #8

High cross winds, we get off the road as we are not in a hurry to get anywhere that
fast.
Don
Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #9

I added one of the Roadmaster steering stabilizers. I honestly had no problem with driving my 351 -- drove it many thousands of miles. Then, i put this on more for safety and since my brother in law said it really made things nice on his. So, I broke down and added it (again, more for safety)... It really didn't seem like much of a difference, until I drove 8-10 hours and wasn't nearly as tired as usual.

So, I'd say it may not seem to help, but it really actually did. For the few hundred dollars and time to install, it was well worth it - for more than just the piece of mind and the safety aspect..
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

A Follow Up to this thread.....

So, over the weekend on our return trip to FL (from MN) we had the Left Front tire blow out. I was in the passing lane doing about 67 (speed my MH, or foot seems to like). Loud Explosion! I wasn't sure what it was, then realized it was actually my tire. It went completely flat instantly (should see the size of the blow out!).

Anyway, it took a second or two for me to realize it was my tire that actually had blown out. I am 100% sure that is all due to the work of the stabilizer -- it held the wheels true and straight and never even "tugged" or attempted to go off center. Had it gone off to the left, I would have had a pretty bad situation -- guaranteed roll over and worse (top of a mountain with deep V between the very narrow lanes).

So, after this experience -- first hand -- I will have to state, this will be the FIRST mod that goes on every single future RV I purchase. In fact, if I end up back in a truck pulling a trailer I will consider doing the same to it (if it doesn't already have something to help).

RECOMMENDATION: The peace of mind it gave me before hand became a reality. You have all spent a few bucks on the RV already, add the peace of mind, it is very cheap comparatively.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #11

+1 on the effectiveness of Safe-T plus.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #12

Before you do anything run your coach over scales and check your weight distribution when loaded up like on your trip. You may be too light on the front wheels. My 2012 model 360 steers easily with one finger at 70mph. Modest push from semi trucks or cross winds. I have to remind myself to keep two hands on the wheel for safety just in case. No mods to my coach. I do think a steering stabilizer would be a good addition in case of blow out but have not made any mods yet.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #13

Bill, did you weigh my with full tanks. I can only provide inputs on handling on my 329DS. Before stabilizer and rear sway bar I had white knuckles. I will look at getting it weighed.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #14

For any GAS chassis, I would assume that any sort of STEERING STABILIZER would help tremendously on the driving. After have done some researches, I found that the RV driveability would depend on many factors including but not limited to only road condition which including flat, crown, under construction, etc. As for the weather conditions, the wind speed, wind direction, such as front, rear, left side or right side... your tires condition also impacts the driveability to name a few.

For the above reasons, if installing a FIXED style steering stabilizer, it will help the RV better than without one, however, once you centered the stabilizer for one road condition at the installation time, it may not be as effective as for different road condition. I may be wrong with this comment, but that was my assumption of the physic dynamic.

That said, I did invest in the Blue OX True Center, it cost twice as much compared to the next most expensive FIXED stabilizer competitor, but I felt that the money was well spent.

First, at the installation time, you just make sure that front wheels are centered properly. Then install the stabilizer. That was it. No test drive, no adjustment, that would cut the installation time down tremendously.

Once you start driving, if the RV pulled to the right, you counter the steering to the left until it drives straight, then push the button... that was it, the steering is now centered again, and you do not have to counter steer. If the road condition change or the wind direction change, you simply repeat the process again by the counter steer and a push of the button.

Driving should be just that simple.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #15

Yes, thanks to all who replied. The stabilizer made a world of difference.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #16

Tamdle, would you like to finance a BLUE OX TRUE CENTER for me?! I would really appreciate it!!!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #17

We will see when you travel in winter ,how long it works? Just wondering it's electronic.
Don
Old 10-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #18

Got the Tru Center and tiger trac for 2016 351DS. Tru Center really works. No effort any more. Worth the cost.
exlnt1900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers