Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizers / Sway bars / suspension

Heading out in a couple of months for a 4500 mile road trip. I have the 2016 351ds and was wondering what recommendations people had to create a better ride.
vanderwerff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #2

If you are ready to roll its to late to change anything in your suspension or steering but here are some recommendations I would advise for your first trip.

1. Make sure your tire cold pressures are correct as per weight.
If the front wheels seem hard and steering wanders you probably are over inflated.

2. Make sure hydraulic fluid reservoir is full when everything is up and in.
And if you need fluid just buy the cheap Walmart ATF.
Check this a few times on your trip and if the level goes down look for any leaks in hoses and fittings.

3. When 1st parked in the campgrounds before any leveling or pulling out slides make sure you are plugged into power. This will help and insure your coach batteries have a charger hooked up during the pump cycle.
This will insure your pump motor will get 12 volts and not get pulled down to a low voltage that will burn up and damage the motor as will as trip the 100 amp DC breaker.

4. Last advise. RELAX and enjoy the trip all the wonderful views out your big front window.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If you are ready to roll its to late to change anything in your suspension or steering but here are some recommendations I would advise for your first trip.

3. When 1st parked in the campgrounds before any leveling or pulling out slides make sure you are plugged into power. This will help and insure your coach batteries have a charger hooked up during the pump cycle.
This will insure your pump motor will get 12 volts and not get pulled down to a low voltage that will burn up and damage the motor as will as trip the 100 amp DC breaker.
Easier & better to have engine running - Alternator has much better 12Vdc than crappy RV converter.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

I put a Safety T Plus steering stabilizer on and the Roadmaster rear anti sway bar on and they made a huge difference.
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Easier & better to have engine running - Alternator has much better 12Vdc than crappy RV converter.
Yes that is also good.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvpga View Post
I put a Safety T Plus steering stabilizer on and the Roadmaster rear anti sway bar on and they made a huge difference.
Aside from the 1-2 week lead time for shipping, I installed Sumo Springs in addition to the Safety T Plus steering stabilizer and a Hellwig additional rear roll bar. All installed in 5 hours locally.

This suspension upgrade and R&R windshield made RV useable. If not, I would have sold and never purchased another!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilizer and Sumo RF.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	170331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumo LR Roll Bar Rear.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	170332  
Old 05-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

My slide outs will not operate with the engine running.
My leveling jacks only operate with the engine running.
So make sure you are plugged into shore power before operating the slide outs.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
My slide outs will not operate with the engine running.
My leveling jacks only operate with the engine running.
So make sure you are plugged into shore power before operating the slide outs.
I have rarely plugged in (ever). I put slide outs out all the time with the engine running on my RV and on just battery power alone on the previous TT. Either yours is somehow different, miswired, or .... I have no idea why you need to be plugged in with 120Vac power, because the slides are mostly 12Vdc or some hydraulic (?120Vac).
Old 05-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #9

Actually I don't have to be plugged in to shore power to operate the slide outs, I personally believe it helps maintain 12 volts at the battery for the hydraulic pump.
But definitely the slides will not operate while the engine is running. I thought this was for safety reasons so someone, like a child, doesn't operate the slides while going down the road.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwerff View Post
Heading out in a couple of months for a 4500 mile road trip. I have the 2016 351ds and was wondering what recommendations people had to create a better ride.
Since you've got a couple of months yet,
There are a couple of things you could do to help the handling, especially in windy situations and driving by BIG trucks.

1) Install a steering stabilizer. Takes about an hour.

2) Do the CHF ( Cheap Handling Fix), on your stock sway bars. Again, about an hour of your time.
And no $$ required! You're just moving mounting points on the sway bar links using some hand tools.

Lots of links on the forum about the CHF.

These both had a tremendous improvement on the handling of my 2012 360 DS.

Have fun!! Enjoy your trip.!
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #11

We have the 2015 351DS - had the roadmaster front and rear sway bars installed late last year - it's AMAZINGLY different. I was following the MH both to the install and afterwards - I could tell the difference in the body roll visually after it was done. My husband says driving it is so much easier now, he doesn't have to fight the steering as much.

We had them installed, took about 3 hours at the shop we used, pricing was reasonable too.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

I have a 2015 351DS and can NOT operate the slides with the engine running {I've tried}. Don't necessarily have to be plugged into shore power as the batteries will handle the load to operate the slides. But whenever possible I plug into shore power first.
Rick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I have rarely plugged in (ever). I put slide outs out all the time with the engine running on my RV and on just battery power alone on the previous TT. Either yours is somehow different, miswired, or .... I have no idea why you need to be plugged in with 120Vac power, because the slides are mostly 12Vdc or some hydraulic (?120Vac).
I think your unit is of the minority for slide extending with engine (ignition switch on) running. It may be because of your single slide (different) or maybe your unit is miswired. Plugged into shore power just enhances battery power but is not mandatory. Most units have 2 and 3 slides and putting them out 1 at a time may affect battery performance without supplemental converter support. My 3 slides will not deploy with ignition switch on and the levelers will not deploy without ignition switch on. Engine running allows the alternator to supplement the battery for the levelers.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think your unit is of the minority for slide extending with engine (ignition switch on) running. It may be because of your single slide (different) or maybe your unit is miswired. Plugged into shore power just enhances battery power but is not mandatory. Most units have 2 and 3 slides and putting them out 1 at a time may affect battery performance without supplemental converter support. My 3 slides will not deploy with ignition switch on and the levelers will not deploy without ignition switch on. Engine running allows the alternator to supplement the battery for the levelers.
One of the things I've learned in my brief connection to this absurd industry is that there is no consistency or standards by industry, manufacturer, model, or year - NO LOL. They have no idea how to keep learned lessons or move them forward.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #15

So did we! We’re off and running for 6 months. Such a great difference in control. Just crossed through Kansas!
valhearts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers, suspension, sway